Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

karey: I think Weight Watchers works for some people. For chonically overweight or obese people who have been that way for a long time, I don't think it or any of the other calorie restrictive diets work - not without some help. Otherwise why would so many of us go on them, lose weight, go off the diet, regain the weight, go on them, lose weight, go off them, regain the weight, etc? Even Weight Watchers is a place that for most people it only works as long as you're going to the meetings, counting points or calories, and all just according to their plan. We need a way to change our habits for life. If it was as simple as a diet, most of us would have been able to do it.

With the Lap Band, we still have to do careful planning of meals and be aware of what we put in our mouths. It is just a tool, and we still have to do the work ourselves, but it is a tool that helps us all the way. I know you must be really happy with your band Karey because you've had fabulous success. Just remember that it is YOU who did the work!

Hi.. I was banded on feb 28 and have lost 24 lbs.. (cant seem to fix my ticker), it has been coming off quickly and I am having first real fill on April 10th. My doctor gave me a fill of 2.5cc last week. I am 58..

Hi.. I was banded on feb 28 and have lost 24 lbs.. (cant seem to fix my ticker), it has been coming off quickly and I am having first real fill on April 10th. My doctor gave me a fill of 2.5cc last week. I am 58..

Wow! That gives us 50-something soon-to-be banders lots of encouragement. Congratulations!

:wave: Hi Everyone,

Yes, I'm in Puerto Morelos. It is wonderful, wish you could be here. It is wonderful. I'm looking at the ocean, kite surfers and happy people. Take care don't forget me. I can't wait to get my surgery on April 16th. Can anyone tell me how much help I will need right after surgery?

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. It sounds like once you get past the nerviousness of the surgery and it's all over, most people are glad they were banded and wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's just a complete new life change and takes some getting use to. In this case the good definitely outweighs. Good luck to all of you.

Cblancha9: Let me know when you get everything done and have a banding date. It will be here before you know it !.

Do you mind telling me how old you are and whether or not you are taking

Estrogen or any other HRT?

I am getting so discouraged.

Denise:: You didn't ask me, but I'm over 60 and I am on HRT and I've lost 40 lbs. in 6 months post-op.

Denise:: You didn't ask me, but I'm over 60 and I am on HRT and I've lost 40 lbs. in 6 months post-op.

BJean, did you lose the first 20 very quickly while you were on the liquid diet? And it took 6 months to lose 20 more?

thank you, Denise

Bjean.. I hope so.. it is still coming off but it would have to slow down some.. but again this mornign I am down a bit. Age is not going to get in the way. I feel this is my last cahnce to be normal again and I cant fail or I am just lost...

BJean: Thanks for your words of encouragement. I totally agree. If I could have done it, I would have. I love my new band life!

Oh I forgot who asked but yes I take estrogen, the small does. I had a hysterectome 15 years ago, still have the overies but that was actually when all my weight problems started.

Bjean.. I hope so.. it is still coming off but it would have to slow down some.. but again this mornign I am down a bit. Age is not going to get in the way. I feel this is my last cahnce to be normal again and I cant fail or I am just lost...

DynamoMini.. I didn't really have any help after surgery, just the first day home I needed a little bit, it hurt and was hard to move around. The next few days I just rested and had my liquids and slept from the pain med but I was alone most of the time, so I would say just the first day home is good to have someone around. The first week was bad for me painwise but otherwise non eventful and then I quickly felt quite normal again. lise

:wave: Hi Everyone,

Yes, I'm in Puerto Morelos. It is wonderful, wish you could be here. It is wonderful. I'm looking at the ocean, kite surfers and happy people. Take care don't forget me. I can't wait to get my surgery on April 16th. Can anyone tell me how much help I will need right after surgery?

Denise: I lost 7 lbs. prior to surgery on the high Protein and Protein Shake diets. After that, I lost about 3 to 4 lbs a week for a while. The last two months (of my 6 since surgery), I only lost about half a pound a week. I got a fill last week and now I feel like I am losing some again. I think I didn't have enough restriction plus I am sure I hit a plateau where my body didn't want to lose and wanted to urge me to put the pounds that I'd lost back on. That's what my body expected because that's what I've done in the past so many times. I am pretty sure that my subconscious was sabbotaging me too. I didn't have faith in the band and my ability to keep the weight off. Now that I am beginning to lose again, I am emotionally and physically hardly hungry at all again. YEA!!! That's what I've been hoping for.

The dietician has told me repeatedly that at some point I will finally realize that I am not going to regain the weight and that I will continue to lose. She follows so many banded people and from what she's told me, what I just went through for the past couple of months, is very common.

DynamoMini: My DH was home with me the day after surgery when I came home from the hospital. I was glad because if I needed anything, like Water or lunch (jello, I think) he fixed it for me. However, I was up pretty much after that. I was sore and didn't stand up very straight, had trouble finding a comfortable position to sleep (I'm used to sleeping on my side), and I did have left shoulder pain. That was troublesome, but the more I was upright and walking, the less that was a problem.

The doctor sent home pain medication with me, but I'd heard that it was constipating so I never used it. Not once. And I'm usually one to take advantage of pain meds. I just didn't really need it.

I think you can reasonably expect to be uncomfortable for several days, but not in mega pain, as with a midline incision. The only way you'll understand is to go through it. I read many people here advise that walking is the best thing for the shoulder pain. So I got up and walked around the house as often as I felt like it. But at the end of week one, I woke up one morning without any shoulder pain. You'll be fine!

Thanks BJean -

I was hoping it was like that. I am good at following directions and am sooooooooo ready to have the surgery. I just want to get my ducks in a row. I will go online to see the list of operation suggestions I think both the site I use have them. Thanks for the info.