Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi Cblancha9,

Glad to " meet" you ! I just turned 65 in Jan. and will be banded on 3-21 ( it's almost here ). I am going to the hospital in the morning for my pre-op tests and 2 hr. pre-surgery class. It's getting a little " too real " cause up until last Fri. I didn't have a date and all of a sudden it's here. I don't think I'll have any regrets about doing it cause I am so tired of losing and then gaining again. This is just the tool I need to help me. I just wish they were doing the lap band yrs ago.

Let me know what the doc says. It's a first step so you are on your way.

Where do you live and who is your surgeon going to be >

Talk to ya later and defintely let's keep in touch.

Anne

Hi, butterflylover.

I know you must be excited. Saw the surgeon today and liked him very much. He talked to me about the bypass and the lapband. It seemed like he was leaning toward the bypass since it more convenient and once done it's done, no filling. He said people get better results with the bypass and not as dangerous as it use to be. I'm still more inclined to stick with the lapband. Tests are scheduled for Mar. 28. Have to schedule my own physc evaluation. Have an appt scheduled at the same hospital but it's not until Apr 28. Hoping to get an appt closer to home and sooner. It sure seems like a long process. The hospital is 65 mi away from home. Well, I guess I can't complain too much at least the ball is rolling. I guess I'm just getting anxious reading all about everyone's weightloss. I live in Montegut, Louisiana a little town down the bayou and 65 mi from New Orleans. I'm not Cajun but my husband is. We moved here 10 years ago when we retired. Didn't mean to write a book about my life.

Carol Ann

Montegut, LA

Dr. Richardson (Oschner Hospital)

Gerbera: Good luck with the knees. I am in the same boat. I really, really wish I could get on a treadmill and go for long walks. We are at a disadvantage, but Water exercise is good for everybody so it will be good for us too, just not as convenient. I hope you're able to avoid knee surgery!

Thanks so much BJean. Initially I felt at a disadvantage, but I've now accepted, this is what I have on my plate at the moment and I will deal with it the best way possible. This way I feel like I'm achieving rather than looking at my disadvantage :)

Everything is looking good towards avoiding Knee Surgery :) Happy Happy Happy. I'll keep you posted :D CHEERS

Hi Cblancha9,

Glad to " meet" you ! I just turned 65 in Jan. and will be banded on 3-21 ( it's almost here ). I am going to the hospital in the morning for my pre-op tests and 2 hr. pre-surgery class. It's getting a little " too real " cause up until last Fri. I didn't have a date and all of a sudden it's here. I don't think I'll have any regrets about doing it cause I am so tired of losing and then gaining again. This is just the tool I need to help me. I just wish they were doing the lap band yrs ago.

Let me know what the doc says. It's a first step so you are on your way.

Where do you live and who is your surgeon going to be >

Talk to ya later and defintely let's keep in touch.

Anne

Hey Anne :) All the best for your up coming surgery. You won't regret one moment of it I'm sure :)

By The Way, Lapbands years ago, were not as advanced and flexible as the newer models now. Your lucky your having it now :D

Scarlett, good luck with your surgery on the 15th. I think it's very normal to feel uncertain about the decision to have this surgery. I ran through the mental "should I or shouldn't I? at least twice a day. In fact, I said to my husband in the surgery waiting room, "I hope I'm doing the right thing." He reassured me that I was. When I first started getting serious about having this surgery my husband was not too supportive. I think he was afraid for me and also feeling uncertain about how it would change our lives. After he met the surgeon and went through our list of questions with him, my husband got on board and has been nothing but supportive ever since. He retires in 18 months. When I would tell him about my second thoughts, he'd answer that he'd worked hard all his life so we could enjoy his retirement years doing things together. What good would it all be if I wasn't there to share life with him? My co-morbidities were growing with every pound -- high blood pressure, glucose intolerant, arthritis... I've been married to this man for 36 years and never once has he said a negative word about my weight. My weight was always about me and how it made me feel, but I realized it wasn't just about me. It affected my husband too. He had tears in his eyes as I walked away to have the surgery. It was scary for him too, but he was behind me 100%. His encouragement really got me through all my second guessing. Sounds like your husband is trying to do the same for you.

Gerbera, I'm so glad you're feeling better.

BJean, are you hungry for Breakfast or just feeling too tight to eat it? I haven't had a fill yet, so I'm pretty much hungry every two hours. I'm really trying to reign myself in.

I've sworn off sweets -- Cookies, candies, cake. Desserts are red light foods for me. Once I start, I crave more. I'm always amazed by people who say they can eat a couple squares of chocolate, then wrap it up and put it away until the next day. I'm hoping my resolve gets stronger the longer I go without having them. It's been 6 weeks and every now and then I get the urge. I was in the A&P the other day and they had chocolate dipped chocolate chip cookies on display in the front of the store. I had to make a quick get-a-way down the Condiments aisle and make myself think about something else. That was my last big temptation.

I love anything made with flour. Thank goodness the lapband makes breads and Pasta more difficult to eat. I let myself have a about 1/4 cup of pasta and one meatball the other night. It satisfied me. I hope I think about these things a little less when I'm not so hungry, but I think I'll always be a food addict. Without the lapband, and going by my past history, Portion Control would eventually go out the window. Once I get back into the routing of overeating at meals, the sweets and other junk start to follow because I get overwhelmed with my feelings.

On a bright note, I've lost 25 lbs. since my pre-surgery fast began and I can stand and walk without so much pain in my lower back. I can't wait to see how I feel with another 25 lbs. off. I have 125 lbs. more to go before I reach my goal weight of 150.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Regards... Debbie

Hey Debbie, So good to hear your doing so well :) WoW 25 lbs, thats Terrificcccccccc YOU GO GIRL! I feel Fantastic with 35 lbs off. I'm still only able to digest liquids or Soups & it's now 5 days since my 2nd fill. I'm not hungry, should I be worried that I'm not actually able to eat food?? Can anyone answer that for me??

Cblancha9 and Butterflylover: I think you're the first two I've read about here who are as old as I am. I'm a little younger, but not so as anyone would notice, that's for sure!

If your doctor has more experience with bypass, and he's seen good results, he probably is motivated to go with what he knows will work. Bypass has been around a lot longer and there are more doctors who have learned that procedure - many of them are just now embracing the lap band.

There are a couple of reasons why I chose Lap Band and in fact, I would probably never have chosen bypass. The surgery itself (Lap Band) is usually less invasive although I've heard that there are some doctors who are attempting the bypass procedure with a laproscopic technique. The Lap Band is reversible. If you have a problem for any reason, it can be adjusted or removed. Not true with bypass. It is a permanent fix and the complications can be worse. With the Lap Band, the expectation is to lose gradually over a period of 2 years. This is a much more healthy way to take off pounds. Your body can go through the adjustments of your losses during the slower process without thinking that it is starving to death. I've seen so many bypass patients who have lost tons of weight but then regain a lot of it. With Lap Band patients, I have noticed that they initially lose a good chunk and then the loss slows but the loss continues. What most of us are wanting to do is not regain the weight. I suppose if they get the bypass just exactly perfect to your particular body, maybe you won't regain the weight, but I think part of the problem is having your body think it is starving and anxious to eat so that it can get all the nutrients and body fat that it's used to.

I am sure there are more differences, but I'm no expert. You really have to make your own decision and listen to everything the experts tell you. Even after you learn about both procedures, you have to decide for yourself what is best for YOU. You're the one who has to go through the surgery, and you're the one who will have to do the work afterwards. Because no matter which approach you take, after the surgery the ball will be in your court to make sure that you take full advantage of the step you've taken to become healthy.

I too wish I had been able to get the Lap Band years ago. But I know I still have some QUALITY time left here on earth and I want to not miss another minute feeling like an outsider who is ashamed to be seen in public. I want to stop worrying about food and start enjoying life! Stop worrying about getting diabetes, stop all the medications for High BP, high Cholesterol, crazy tryglicerides, etc.

Best of luck to both of you! You're to be commended for taking steps to get yourself healthy! Keep us posted on your journey. I am sure this forum will be as big a help to you as it's been for me.

Hi all!

I have been banded just over a yr, am 54 ys old and have lost about 97 lbs. I am kind of stalled but started a excersize program with resistance bands about 2 months ago so i see a bit of a difference but the scale doesn't show much movement lately. I found I need to concentrate on what I am doing at meal times or i overeat and eat too fast, and keep the carbs down and don't use food as a comfort when things go bad. I was doing ok at the last one till recently when after skirting Menopause for the past couple years I have finally jumped in with both feet. I am learning to live with the hot flashes (not too bad ) and the night sweats ( covers on ,covers off, repeat all night!) but the mood swings are driving me nuts! I actually found myself at my friends desk at work munching candy- something I usually don't even like much- after a conversation with a cranky customer. Any "tricks of the trade" so to speak to getting through the next couple yrs without killing anyone or blowing the band would be helpful! Thanks!!

Northernsun - I am amazed that you have dropped 94 pounds in a year. Wow! The menopause thing has been part of my life since a hysterectomy at age 45. I was on HPT for awhile so the whole thing wasn't an issue. Now I am totally off the hormones because I had cancer surgery three years ago. Recently I have been using a vaginal cream for dryness, oh will it ever end, but the flashes are pretty gone. Exercise and good nutrition seem to help. I hope my banding on April 16th, just supports the positive changes I've already made. Sweet alternatives like SF popsicles, fudgicles, or gum help some. My mom sets me off to need sugar and carbs, I think post banding I will just allow myself to cry. Emotional release is better than self destructive behavior. I will be learning right along side of you. Best wishes,

Michelle

Northernsun - I am amazed that you have dropped 94 pounds in a year. Wow! The menopause thing has been part of my life since a hysterectomy at age 45. I was on HPT for awhile so the whole thing wasn't an issue. Now I am totally off the hormones because I had cancer surgery three years ago. Recently I have been using a vaginal cream for dryness, oh will it ever end, but the flashes are pretty gone. Exercise and good nutrition seem to help. I hope my banding on April 16th, just supports the positive changes I've already made. Sweet alternatives like SF popsicles, fudgicles, or gum help some. My mom sets me off to need sugar and carbs, I think post banding I will just allow myself to cry. Emotional release is better than self destructive behavior. I will be learning right along side of you. Best wishes,

Michelle

Michelle..

My mother sets me off to need sugar and carbs also:help: I would think at my age I would know better!! I have all of my pre op tests done and surgery is scheduled for Thursday at 10:30. I am 90% sure of this but the other % has me thinking of the what-ifs! What-if I tried harder or did something different. That 10% keeps making me feel like a failure.

Thanks Michelle! There is not a whole lot I can do to stop this so i just have to ride it out. I have the excersize part and pretty much eatting right, it is the mental attitude I have problems with. My moods swing so quickly- sometimes i feel i am doing good and other times i get down on myself because it is not fast enough. My dh tells me all the time how far I have come and I do see it with the increased things I can do again now that the weight is coming off my knees- just sometimes it is hard to believe it.

Miss Scarlett -

You are doing this yourself! I had to get through that too. This is just the next step, not one to feel guilty about, but really to feel proud of the commitment you've made to your health and well being. Hurrah!

I am thinking about starting a thread about mom's - it amazes me the lasting affect of her comments and behaviors has on me. Love to talk with you more about this. I am working to keep her out of my surgery and post op stuff. It is hard because there is so much love there too.

I am working on this in therapy.

Miss Scarlett -

You are doing this yourself! I had to get through that too. This is just the next step, not one to feel guilty about, but really to feel proud of the commitment you've made to your health and well being. Hurrah!

I am thinking about starting a thread about mom's - it amazes me the lasting affect of her comments and behaviors has on me. Love to talk with you more about this. I am working to keep her out of my surgery and post op stuff. It is hard because there is so much love there too.

I am working on this in therapy.

:clap2: Love the Miss Scarlett...Gone with the Wind is my favorite movie.

Count me in for the mom thread. I sometimes think I would like therapy for the bits she throws at me. There was never any physical abuse from her but looking back it was a control abuse. My mother is very petite and thin and she has a tall and heavy daughter and a very, very obese son so she is a very sad lady in the parenting (what do people think of me) department. LOL..see how quick I jumped in here? I have not told her about the surgery!!

Okay Miss Scarlett, one of my favs too,

I think there is a parallel between need for extreme control and just plain meanness. My sister was buolimic, my brother escaped the household at 18, and I was a momma's girl. Making excuses for her inability to really love me like I deserved and actually I acted as the parent. She is still wanting to be the center of everything, control everyone's lives and making comments. I sat down and told her about the surgery, knowing she'd be out of town, now she has changed her reservations and made lots of intrusive comments. I will have to be really clear about my boundaries, and that this is my journey, it isn't about HER. Yes, I do think a mother thread would be good. Hugs to you,

Finially on the band side of weight loss!! Looking for the day when I can eat normal food. Something is giving me the runs and I do not know if it is the Protein Drinks, popsicles, surgery or just me. Anyone have this happen to them? Also looking for the day when I can go shopping in my closet again for a smaller size. I am going to throw these bigger sizes away!!!

Congratulations Scarlett!

I have heard of people having that problem and I have no idea why. When I was on liquids, I had the opposite problem. I couldn't go at all and when I finally did, I realized I should have taken something sooner. After that I started adding benefiber to my Water. I still have to do that.