Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 10 days post op and thought I would feel better than I do by now. I feel like I have let others down who were planning on going to Mx by not posting my experience sooner. I have mixed feelings about the choice I made. Dr. Almanza was great. I can't say anything negative about him. My experience was very difficult. I had surgery on Saturday and everyone leaves the clinic except for 1 nurse until Monday. I was always in pain and sick and he couldn't keep the meds straight. He wouldn't answer the call buttons at all at night. We had to scream for help. If that didn't work we would have to get a guest to help us until we could get the nurse to come upstairs. Most of the time he would refuse to give any meds saying it was too early you just had them. Which was not the case. He was confused on who he had given meds to. So we started writing it down and he still refused. The 1st night my hand that had the iv in it swelled up 3xs it's normal size so I asked him to change it. He put another on in but forgot to tape the top of it and it came out within an hour. When I finally got him to come fix it I had bled all over my bed. He said it was my fault for not taking care of my iv and for making my other hand fat. Which was actully swollen. No Dr came in the next day. No other nurse, just him. It was a horrible 2 nights. The recovery house was great. I was fully prepared to hate it and stay at a hotel. I loved it. Only minor issues there. Great staff, comfortable accomodations and never for one second felt unsafe. They however were out of gatorade and popsicles which I couldn't understand. The nurse there was super. By the time i got there though I had an infection starting in my incisions. The nurse at the hospital wasn't cleaning my incisions and changing my bandages. He said they looked good. I went to my dr 7 days post op and he decided my stitches needed to come out earlier than he would have liked due to the redness and my low grade temp. Had issues getting them out because they were put in too tightly and one incision had knots all through it which ripped my incision back open. He said it should heal but if not I will have to see a surgeon to get it fixed. I got what I paid for.....a sleeve, but the care in the hospital was pathetic. Would I do it again? I'm not ready to answer that question yet. We will see. I sure did suffer for 2 days and it was all because of 1 nurse. I think it would have been different had I not had it done on a Saturday. At this point I wouldn't encourage anyone or discourage anyone from going there. As long as you know what to expect that is a decision for each person to make. For the price quoted you get very basic after care. If you are ok with that and can handle pain and being sick then it's a great deal however you should know it is what is is. An inexpensive surgery. They are not there to go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable.

I'm sorry for your experience. Mine was similar at the hospital, I think we must have had the same nurse. I had my surgery on the 15th. Lupita during the day was great, but the night nurse was more interested in sleeping on the couch then answering call buttons.

A few of us expressed our concern with the nursing care (or lack there of) and pain control and were rewarded by a tirade by the clinic owner. I posted my experience here a week or so ago.

It's too bad because other then the after care and the craziness I would be fine with the surgery. I too have a minor infection in my wounds and my dr had trouble getting a couple of the stitches out and one wound opened up and needed to be steri-stripped. I still have stitches in the big wound where the drain was because it's opened and draining. But I'm not going to say that's the fault of the clinic as I'm prone to post op infections.

I think they really need to take a lok at who they have working at night, and their pain control. I think with that fixed I would recommend it. As of now, knowing my experience and hearing similar things from others, I couldn't.

I hate to hear that, I hope you recover well. I had the opposite experience, I had good care there. You need to bring this to their attention or they will not know to correct it. Thank you for posting your experience there, I like hearing from actual patients and their experience rather than people that bash Doctors from hearsay. I hope they get it corrected.

Dr. Almanza was great. I can't say anything negative about him.

You are too kind. He was your surgeon and he abandoned you. What you described is horrific. If he won't be available to visit his patients on Sundays, he shouldn't operate on Saturdays. He should have been there to see you first first thing in the morning. He is also responsible for his employees, whether he personally hired them or not. He failed you miserably. Regardless of others that have had a good experience there, unless britiajon and you are lying, he is NOT great, he took your money and ran. The others just lucked out.

I will have surgery here in the US, so I don't have any interest other than expressing my opinion and hoping your post helps someone.

I am sending good vibes your way for a continued recovery.

I hope not all Dr.'s in Mexico are like that one.

Not my Surgeon, nor his staff was anything like that.

I would just like to point out, anyone can get shoddy medical attention anywhere. I've certainly gotten that here in the US many many times.

I am horrified to hear about this terrible aftercare. The emotional part of this journey is bad enough without being compounded by staff with a demonstrated lack of empathy.

In any case, for myself, I am 6 days out from surgery in Mexico with Dr. Aceves. Each and every one of his staff was caring, and responded immediately whenever I had the slightest need. So no, you can not generalize about surgical experience in Mexico based on this poor person's post.

That being said, I think it's an eye-opener for those considering surgery to make sure and check out not only the surgeon's reputation, but that of the entire staff. I certainly do that for my medical care in the States. It can make all the difference in your outcome, as you'll always spend more time with staff than the doctor(s).

I think it's a valid point for those considering Mexico for surgery to avoid having to be in the hospital on a weekend day, especially Sundays, for the first few days post op. It's common sense that there's less chance of getting the more experienced and better caregivers on a Sunday, and possibly on a Saturday as well. My opinion, of course.

I wish you the very best in having the outcome you're hoping for, despite those rocky days you've posted about.

No, not at all! I never even had to ask for pain meds, they were brought on a regular schedule like every 3-4 hrs I believe. I didn't even have any breakthrough pain in between. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be ignored and left in pain like that, it upsets me to even think about it!

I would just like to point out, anyone can get shoddy medical attention anywhere. I've certainly gotten that here in the US many many times.[/color]

It is true that shoddy medical attention happens everywhere. Hundreds die, get infections, get the wrong limb cut during surgery and many more horror stories here in the US. However I am having a hard time imagining a situation like hers, unless maybe in some back alley. If they do, I live in a bubble, at least she could have sued. So no, it is not the same here than in some other countries.

Does this mean people shouldn't go to Mexico? No, to me this means that people should take a pause when they read these posts (when they don't get deleted) and not let their desperation cloud their good judgement.

BTW LilMissDiva, I respect you very much. This post is not "against" you. These threads get to me. I should know better than to subscribe to them.

It is true that shoddy medical attention happens everywhere. Hundreds die, get infections, get the wrong limb cut during surgery and many more horror stories here in the US. However I am having a hard time imagining a situation like hers, unless maybe in some back alley. If they do, I live in a bubble, at least she could have sued. So no, it is not the same here than in some other countries.

Does this mean people shouldn't go to Mexico? No, to me this means that people should take a pause when they read these posts (when they don't get deleted) and not let their desperation cloud their good judgement.

BTW LilMissDiva, I respect you very much. This post is not "against" you. These threads get to me. I should know better than to subscribe to them.

No worries, I absolutely agree with you 100%. I think everyone really needs to do their homework, this is real LIFE and DEATH here. Ultimately the decision and culpability belongs to the one who made the decision on whom is going to perform their surgery.

:)

Wow! Sorry for your bad experience. I had surgery in Mexico on 09/02 with Dr. Kelly. I had my surgery on a Friday and dr kelly checked in on us both saturday and sunday. Not to mention the hospital had nurses and a Dr on call which was there 24 hours.

The on call dr came to introduce himself and help with anything we needed. So any future sleevers don't think all Mexico place or the same.

Thanks for you experience and Take care!

Laura

I'm 10 days post op and thought I would feel better than I do by now. I feel like I have let others down who were planning on going to Mx by not posting my experience sooner. I have mixed feelings about the choice I made. Dr. Almanza was great. I can't say anything negative about him. My experience was very difficult. I had surgery on Saturday and everyone leaves the clinic except for 1 nurse until Monday. I was always in pain and sick and he couldn't keep the meds straight. He wouldn't answer the call buttons at all at night. We had to scream for help. If that didn't work we would have to get a guest to help us until we could get the nurse to come upstairs. Most of the time he would refuse to give any meds saying it was too early you just had them. Which was not the case. He was confused on who he had given meds to. So we started writing it down and he still refused. The 1st night my hand that had the iv in it swelled up 3xs it's normal size so I asked him to change it. He put another on in but forgot to tape the top of it and it came out within an hour. When I finally got him to come fix it I had bled all over my bed. He said it was my fault for not taking care of my iv and for making my other hand fat. Which was actully swollen. No Dr came in the next day. No other nurse, just him. It was a horrible 2 nights. The recovery house was great. I was fully prepared to hate it and stay at a hotel. I loved it. Only minor issues there. Great staff, comfortable accomodations and never for one second felt unsafe. They however were out of gatorade and popsicles which I couldn't understand. The nurse there was super. By the time i got there though I had an infection starting in my incisions. The nurse at the hospital wasn't cleaning my incisions and changing my bandages. He said they looked good. I went to my dr 7 days post op and he decided my stitches needed to come out earlier than he would have liked due to the redness and my low grade temp. Had issues getting them out because they were put in too tightly and one incision had knots all through it which ripped my incision back open. He said it should heal but if not I will have to see a surgeon to get it fixed. I got what I paid for.....a sleeve, but the care in the hospital was pathetic. Would I do it again? I'm not ready to answer that question yet. We will see. I sure did suffer for 2 days and it was all because of 1 nurse. I think it would have been different had I not had it done on a Saturday. At this point I wouldn't encourage anyone or discourage anyone from going there. As long as you know what to expect that is a decision for each person to make. For the price quoted you get very basic after care. If you are ok with that and can handle pain and being sick then it's a great deal however you should know it is what is is. An inexpensive surgery. They are not there to go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable.

They are not, the Dr I went (kelly), it was a hospital so there were 2 nurses and a Dr on call. If you pushed the button they were there and I had surgery on a Friday. My dr came on Saturday and Sunday.

The dr on call came to introduce himself and if we had complaints he came right away. Even to adjust the air.

Laura