Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried Meridia to help lose weight prior to lap banding?

Thank you all so very much for your feedback! I think I will try slimfast in between meals. I have lost 4 lbs (big whoop...) of the 10# I need to lose prior to surgery. I will also try adding another day to my gym work-outs.

Warmly, Rachel

Thank you all so very much for your feedback! I think I will try slimfast in between meals. I have lost 4 lbs (big whoop...) of the 10# I need to lose prior to surgery. I will also try adding another day to my gym work-outs.

Warmly, Rachel

Hey Rachel ~ Do you realize you have lost 4 BOXES of stick butter? Imagine taping 16 sticks of butter somewhere on your body. That's how much you've lost!! That is SUPER GIRL!!! Don't under estimate the impact 4 lbs can have on your body. I also have a feeling you can take off the rest without meds. You can do it!! Drink lots of Water too. It may seem overwhelming, but take it one pound at a time.

:eek:

I didn't lose anything on it either.. and i had to pay 150.00 a month because my insur. didn't cover it at the time. .

The only drug I've ever tried to lose weight that worked was cocaine. And that came with a whole other host of problems. But man was it effective! Of course, when you quit, you gain it all back plus a bunch. Wouldn't recommend it. But it does make me think, we KNOW there is a mechanism to drugs that makes people lose a lot of weight. WHY ON EARTH can't the scientists make something that works without the side effects?? Snap to, biochemists!!!

My GP was flat out against any type of WLS. Back in January, she gave me a prescription for Meredia and said it would do wonders for me. I was lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous 24/7 while on it. I tried it for over a month and couldn't stand it. I did lose about 11 pounds, but I think that was because I was so sick from it all the time that I couldn't eat. When I told her that, she said it was all in my head. Needless to say, she is no longer my doctor.

Those carbs you're getting in the carrots and yogurt are simply promoting more carb craving. Sorry! Try muching on hi Protein (dense protein....like meat, Beans, etc)....it'll stay with you longer. And Protein supplements are wonderful for keeping you satisfied and for keeping your energy level up. Try to get about 100 grams a day along with lots of liquids while you're going thru this. You might as well get started now.....because you'll need to keep up that regime after banding if you are going to be successful at losing weight.

Best wishes to you!!

"WHY ON EARTH can't the scientists make something that works without the side effects?? Snap to, biochemists!!!"

Exactly.....that is why I am turning to WLS. The last diet pills I took I found myself fainting while driving my car on the Garden State Parkway. I am certified in Sports Nutrition, Holistic Health, and Personal Training....so I don't trust myself not to take diet pills again, hence the banding. ..I took Meridia, Xenical, Phen-Phen (which honestly If I could find them I'd buy even on the black market), and various other over the counter pills..ugh I am done! :)

That reminds me...did the rest of you have to have been on at least 14 diets:hungry: that failed to qualify for lap band? I did...and had to provide the dates I was on them, how much I lost..and how much I gained back!!!! Oh and what exercise programs I was on, when, and i had to list the tapes and/or fitness CD's I own. :faint: Luckily I remembered all of this..whew it was a lot to remember!:nervous

Hi Rachel -

I also had no luck on Meridia, as have mentioned a number of other folks.

If you don't have high blood pressure, phentermine might be a possibility, if you only need to lose ten pounds before surgery. Phentermine only remains effective for about 2 weeks before you develop a tolerance and it becomes ineffective, and there can also be withdrawals such as tiredness and headaches when you stop. And, yes, phentermine was one half of the now infamous phen-fen (which I LOVED! It was heavenly freedom from the desire to overeat...but then I didn't develop heart problems), but the fenfluramine is the drug that was taken off the market, and phentermine is still totally legal and available.

Another possibility is Acomplia, which is now available in Europe and England, and is presumed to be close to approval in the U.S. by the FDA, but just when that will happen is anyone's guess. Don't know how you feel about flying to Europe....

A question: why do some docs require patients to lose 10 lbs before surgery? My doc didn't require a pre-surgery weight loss. Seems odd to require people to do the very thing that they've been unable to do and are having the surgery in order to do....

Julie T

Bettina -

Yes on the list of all the diets and dates and weight loss and exercise programs. Fortunately the doctor had a checklist that included at least 50 possibilities, and I had tried most of them.

Ditto on the phen-fen! Only problem is that I don't think any has been manufactured legally for years, so quality control and expiration dates would be a concern.

Julie T