Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to a new life.....

hi all - i haven't been able to lose my weight since the birth of my daughter - that was 35 years ago. lolol . I am a 58 year old married grandmother of 3. Disability retired since 2006. Since the age of about 23, for my b'day I always got a wt. watchers cupcake with one candle on it from my mother. She never knew how much that hurt. anyways.... that was then, the best is yet to come as they say.

I gained 30 lbs over the past 6 months!! OMG bringing me to the heaviest weight of my life. Thats when I said enough is enough - so here i am waiting for surgery - so excited.

I've been totally dormant for these past years, watching tv, not getting out much. Having rt. knee replacement in march, after i lose some of this wt. This will help me be more mobile, feel a little better about myself, and hopefully give me enough encouragement to leave the house and do some volunteer work at the hospital. sounds like a plan, right :o)

I've always yo yo'd trying to lose this wt., and i figured enough was enough. I threw out my "big" clothes from earlier when i lost some weight, i wish i still had them - because i refuse to go out and spend a million dollars on new clothes. I will buy a couple of sweat pants, and one pair of jeans. Hopefully in a few months i'll be down some. Don't know how much to expect, but can't wait for a change. Do or die!!

I have diabetes, high blood pressure, and chl. and sleep apnea. Probably the norm for many. Unfortunately much much of my weight is in my stomach - is that pear shape? They say the stomach is the worst health wise place to have the excess - it sure looks horrible, but no extra weight looks great.

Enjoying reading the boards, looking forward to some help later

bye for now LiKaSuLeMa -FYI these are the first two initials of myself and siblings. 45 years ago my father had a subscription to a kids magazine, and he addressed it the above way, so no kid would get jealous!!!

Welcome! Congrats on embarking upon this journey. I was sleeved on august 30 and already know this was the best decision of my life. I know you will feel the same! I'm sure most of your health problems will disappear. Good luck!

Welcome! Congrats on embarking upon this journey. I was sleeved on august 30 and already know this was the best decision of my life. I know you will feel the same! I'm sure most of your health problems will disappear. Good luck!

hey, thanx for being my "1rst responder."

I'm sure my health problems will improve. I've heard tell that diabetes sometimes

totally clears up. (sounds like acne !!!!!)

My surgery isn't til 12/7 - having right knee replaced in february. WLS first so can make

my knee surgery better. Had left knee replaced 2007.

How are you doing these past weeks since your surgery?

thanx for writing

kathy

Kathy, My story is similar to yours, at least with the co-morbidities. I had VSG so that I can hopefully clear those up and live longer. Stick around and read with us.. and here's a little encouragement... I lost 13 pounds pre-op, and am down nearly 40 pounds at 3 weeks out. Jill and I were sleeved on the same day. I suspect that the more weight one has to lose, the faster it comes off at first.

Good luck!! :0

Kathy, My story is similar to yours, at least with the co-morbidities. I had VSG so that I can hopefully clear those up and live longer. Stick around and read with us.. and here's a little encouragement... I lost 13 pounds pre-op, and am down nearly 40 pounds at 3 weeks out. Jill and I were sleeved on the same day. I suspect that the more weight one has to lose, the faster it comes off at first.

Good luck!! :0

Being a newbie, and not too computer literate, I just found these great replies for my post WOW - I guess you all can hear me!!

My dr. didn't tell me I needed to lose weight. When I started couple of months ago I weighed 220. Now I weigh 235!!! I figured I would eat stuff that I couldn't eat later. What a mistake. I've never weighed this much, 235.M

My surgery is 12/6 - but - I will be visiting my mom in CA. for 4 days, then my siblings in MA for 2 days. This will help pass the time which is great!!! but ----I'm scared of eating too much. My mom knows about the surgery, so I know she'll help to try and "control" my eating - but i am not telling my 4 siblings. So I have to be soooo careful at thanksgiving.

Bottom line - I have started to try and lose a few llbs. before the surgery, will be hard - have just over a week after thanksgiving to start one of those liquid diets. Maybe will start now for a bit.

what do you think.

i must be the only one in the whole world that gained weight before surgery.

The dr. knows i gained but he didn't mention, nurse did though, surgery is definite thankfully still on 12/6. thanx for listening kathy

Being a newbie, and not too computer literate, I just found these great replies for my post WOW - I guess you all can hear me!!

My dr. didn't tell me I needed to lose weight. When I started couple of months ago I weighed 220. Now I weigh 235!!! I figured I would eat stuff that I couldn't eat later. What a mistake. I've never weighed this much, 235.M

My surgery is 12/6 - but - I will be visiting my mom in CA. for 4 days, then my siblings in MA for 2 days. This will help pass the time which is great!!! but ----I'm scared of eating too much. My mom knows about the surgery, so I know she'll help to try and "control" my eating - but i am not telling my 4 siblings. So I have to be soooo careful at thanksgiving.

Bottom line - I have started to try and lose a few llbs. before the surgery, will be hard - have just over a week after thanksgiving to start one of those liquid diets. Maybe will start now for a bit.

what do you think.

i must be the only one in the whole world that gained weight before surgery.

The dr. knows i gained but he didn't mention, nurse did though, surgery is definite thankfully still on 12/6. thanx for listening kathy

ps - need to get down to 150 - I'm 5'3 and 235. Hopefully will be down to at least 230 by surgery date. Then i''ll

"only" be 10 lbs over my starting weight!!! Wish I had done things different, but whats over is over. I'll be fine :) kathy

Hey I just found this web site! I'm so gals to see I'm not the only grandmother! I haven't started anything yet, just in the "talking" stage, but the more I read from the complications the more nervous I am. My husband is not for this at all. I am needing knee surgery AND back surgery hence my last option as they are telling me. I'm trying not to back out, I'm just scared, sonim very glad I found this site

just found this web site! I'm not the only grandmother! just in the "talking" stage, but the more I read from the complications the more nervous I am. My husband is not for this at all. I am needing knee surgery AND back surgery hence my last option as they are telling me. I'm trying not to back out, I'm just scared, sonim very glad I found this site

hi fellow grandma!!!! (grandma's here are NOT a rare commodity!!)

early on??? no decisions made yet??? sure this is a little scary at first - later too sometimes, but IMO its so worth it

sorry your hubby isn't supportive right now, hopefully he'll understand and come along and be in your corner

there are risks with life, any surgeries - you hear some bad stories, they stick out in your mind - but the truth is, the "good" stories are all over the board

sure people comment their regrets, possible problems..............but that can happen with any surgeries

saying all this cuz its out there

that being said - IMO most everyone is thrilled with their sleeve. main, constant complaint is when people say "I wish I had had the surgery years ago"

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

11 months later

11/14/12

138 lbs

97 lbs gone forever

3 til goal and century club

yeah, i'm a believer

good luck with your decision, hope you decide to go ahead with surgery if you've struggled with your weight, yo yo all your life like me and so many others

of course, whatever is best for you - go for it

i can tell you are an intelligent grand-mother, and you will do the smart thing and have the surgery ;)

btw - this proud grammy has 3 of the most terrific grand-kids, present board company excluded!! :lol:

good luck

take care

needing knee surgery AND back surgery

mychange

me again!!!

surgery has improved my health tremendously, no more diabetes meds, insulin, high blood pressure meds, and no more CPAP

i was supposed to have knee replacement then a few months later WLS - dr changed the order of surgery

ortho wanted me to lose weight first

4/26/12 - 4 1/2 months post WLS i was down about 50 lbs - had knee replacement - much easier to recuperate with less weight, PT was much better - and now my knees are terrific- other knee replaced few years ago

enjoying new life

don't mean to push the surgery too much, hmmm maybe i do ^_^

it really is great

luck again