Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buyers remorse ... not losing weight and kind of sad ...

Prior to having this surgery I thought it was the ANSWER to my prayers. I've been on every diet known to man and I've probably tried each of them 2-3 times each. I have struggled with my weight FOREVER. I did have a few good years senior year of high school ... through the age of 22 then it was up up and away with the weight. I feel like I've been on a diet my entire life and I'm SICK of it! So I decided a few years ago that I was going to get the lapband and got denied, denied, denied. So I finally said *&^% it I'm going to pay for it myself and started saving my pennies. Then I heard about the sleeve and researched and watched countless Youtube videos. Which led me to choose it instead of the band.

I started my PreOp diet on Aug 4th ... I lost 12lbs from preop to 2 days after surgery. I started preop diet Aug. 4th. I expected to lose because I was STARVING and not eating any food for 2 weeks so I figure HOW can you not lose on this?

Today is my 1 month Surgiversary and I have MADE myself not get on the scale everyday for the last week so I could weigh myself today and finally see it UNDER a certain number. I was only 6 lbs away the last time I weighed myself. I figured even if I didn't hit the # I'd probably only be 1-2 lbs away. Which would be the first time seeing my weight under that point in years for me. Soooo I get on the scale and it's 5lbs above that number. I've only lost 16lbs since that 3 day Post Op surgery.

I'm kind of sad because I feel like no matter WHAT I do my body just won't lose this weight. This seems like deja vu all over again. Every diet I've tried I've been starving 99.9% of the time and the freaking scale still barely moves. I've tried the stupid diet pills and exercised like a crazy person and the scale barely moves. NOW I've cut out most of my *%! stomach and the scale BARELY moves!!! I am sad and pissed off at the same time. I only told a few people about my surgery but I'm already feeling embarrassed thinking ... what if this doesn't work either?? My mind is spinning and all I can think is ... I actually PAID someone to cut out most of my stomach and I might still be fat the next time friends/ family back home see me because this didn't work either. :( UUGGGHHHHHHH I just want to rewind the tape and have a do over. If I could lose 12lbs in 2 weeks WITH all my stomach and only lose 16lbs in one month after cutting out most of my stomach I feel like I've made the WRONG decision and this was for nothing!!!

Sorry ... I had to vent I'm feeling really bad right now and I'm thinking there's NOTHING I can do about it. It's not like they can put my stomach back in. Super Annoyed right now...

Sounds like your body is in a bit of a stall as it is trying to recover and adjust. Hang in there, our bodies all react differently. I have read so many stories similar to yours on here and then a few weeks later a reply that says they are finally losing the way they wanted to and so thankful for the sleeve.

I know I will hit a stall soon and I know that even though I think I am prepared for it, it will still be discouraging. Just be confident that by next summer you will feel and look amazing and without the sleeve, you may have been even heavier than when you were on Aug. 4th.

Take Care!

Slow down and breathe! Your body just went through a HUGE shock. It can take time to start dropping...plus, you've lost 1/2 pound a day since surgery. That's awesome weight loss. My surgeon told me that I should expect to lose between 15 and 30 pounds the first month...which you're right on target!

Weight loss also has a lot to do with how much you started with. You don't say what your starting weight was, but if you're on the lower end and don't have that much to lose to start with then your weight loss is going to be slower. Give yourself a break! smile.gif

Sunny,

I am sorry you are so frustrated!unsure.gif Please don't give up! Your body and mind have been thru an awful lot in the last few weeks! You are still in the healing process. And since you sound like me and have tried every diet know to mankind you have probably rendered yourself diet resistant. Let your body adjust to it's new tummy and restricted calorie intake. Follow your surgeons diet plan and you will lose the weight. You are probably in the middle of your 3 week stallangry.gif so the number for weight loss was not exactly as low as you thought it would be. This will take time! But slow and steady wins the race. This time we do not have to worry about being dragged back to the high side of the scale. Keep your Fluid levels up too. I know this is hard...it's hard for me too but we can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs!wink.gif

Hi sunny702, We were sleeved the same day and I understand completely. I lost more a week on medifast and lean and green dinners and the occasional cheat meal than I am with the sleeve. The only thing that gets me through this is telling myself that these pounds should be gone forever. If I wasnt sleeved, I might fall off the wagon and gain weight like I did last time! 10 yrs ago I lost 100 lbs doing low carb diet and exercised like crazy, but, when I was confident in myself and started eating like I used too and got burned out with exercise, so i stopped exercise, I gained ALL the weight back plus an extra 20 lbs. This is definately going alot slower than I hoped, but, keep the faith that what is lost is lost forever. I stopped having high hopes reading others posts about stalls etc. But, I read other posts of people who lose 120+ lbs and I think....they didnt lose it over night....I am sure it was slow and steady for them too. So heres praying that things get better and the scale starts moving! Good Luck sunny702! ***hugs***

Hi Sunny, I understand why you feel upset but during the first month but you're still recovering. I only lost 10 pounds the first month and basically I lose 5 or 6 pounds a months. The difference between the sleeve and other diets is as long as we eat right we should not gain are weight back. Give yourself credit you have been through a lot and as long as you follow your guidelines you will do great. Good Luck : ) janine

Sunny, I hear you girl. I am feeling the same frustrations.

I'm 3 weeks out and lost 13 lbs. BUT, 9 of those lbs were in the first week. It's maddening how slowly the weight is coming off when compared to the number of calories I'm eating daily.

Yesterday, I got on the scale and had GAINED 1.6 lbs. ??? Come on body, this is insanity!

Like emmas mom, I did Medifast for 9 weeks preop. And lost 32.9 lbs in those 9 weeks. And had a much more consistent loss.

HOWEVER - I lost over 100 lbs on medifast once before and couldn't keep it off, I'm convinced the sleeve will be the tool to allow me to keep the weight off.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude but it's hard...I decided to stay off the scale for a bit. I have 47 more lbs to go until I reach my goal.

It will happen for both of us. We just need to stop obsessing... (easier said than done, right?)

Sorry to hear your having a rough spot. Hang in there, you're not the exception As everyone said, this is a lot for you body and brain to adjust to. I know I am losing more slowly than some. I do know that a lot of my clothes no longer fit. Even during a week I don't lose pounds I may be losing inches. You may want to track your inches also. I've lost about 3 lbs per week but it's more some weeks and none during another. My doctor and nut keep emphasizing the follow formula: plenty of Protein (70+ grams for me), enough carbs (30 grams which I'm having a hard time getting that much), fluids (48 - 64 oz) and exercise. This will keep my body from thinking that I'm trying to starve it (so they say). All I can do is be persistent and wait for my body to get used to the new regime. Like most othesr post, I am counting on this time being the last time I have to lose these pounds. This is a great place to vent when we get frustrated. Good luck.

Everyone stalls around the 3 week mark. I'm experiencing the same thing. In fact, when I hit 3 weeks I had gained 4lbs. The 4lbs has come off but I haven't lost any more weight and probably won't for several days, from what I hear. However, I have lost 17lbs since surgery and I'm only just 3 weeks and two days out. Even if I don't lose a thing for another 3 weeks, 17lbs in six weeks is still 3lbs/week which is still accelerated weight loss. Did you take starting measurements? Try measuring again. You may still be losing inches if not pounds. Also try to think about how much better you feel, how you can get full on so little food, how you're not STARVING like on previous diets. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there girl.

Thanks everyone for the hugs and well wishes. In my mind I KNOW I am better off with the surgery but I can't help getting a little depressed when I look at the scale. I think I'm going to force myself to only get on it 1 time per week. I am a scale o holic normally. I'm talking several times a day. It's crazy how that number can change my entire mood!

In regards to my starting weight I've NEVER told anyone how much I weigh. Waaaay too embarresing for me. I even tell my Dr. to look away! LOL Let's just say I am on the higher end of the weight scale. Which means my weightloss shouldn't have slowed down yet.

I measured myself the day before surgery and since 8/16 this is what's happened. NOTE: My daugher is doing the measuring sooo I "hope" it's in the same place everytime she's 13 and let's just say ... this is a TRYING time. I won't even get started on that stress .... Moving on ...

Start 8/16 Today 9/17

R arm 17 15

L arm 17 15

Bust 52 50

Waist 49 47

Hips 55 53

R thigh 31 31

L thigh 32 31

Everyone stalls around the 3 week mark. I'm experiencing the same thing. In fact, when I hit 3 weeks I had gained 4lbs. The 4lbs has come off but I haven't lost any more weight and probably won't for several days, from what I hear. However, I have lost 17lbs since surgery and I'm only just 3 weeks and two days out. Even if I don't lose a thing for another 3 weeks, 17lbs in six weeks is still 3lbs/week which is still accelerated weight loss. Did you take starting measurements? Try measuring again. You may still be losing inches if not pounds. Also try to think about how much better you feel, how you can get full on so little food, how you're not STARVING like on previous diets. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there girl.

Dramagirl28 you have such a great attitude about stalls. I am in one now too and I try to stay positive but sometimes I slip. I am going to come back to this post every week that I don't lose to remind myself to keep being positive. Thank you!

I am 4 1/2 months out and was exactly where you are now. A lot of us go through the stall. You will start losing again, I promise. :) Your body just has to get acclimated to what you did to it. You will be fine, just keep looking in here and you will find so many in the same situation currently or that have been there. Good luck!

What you are feeling is normal. Your body has just gone through a major trauma and is still trying to recover and to adjust. At first, we all loose a lot of weight because we loose all the excess Water weight we have been carrying around. This happens if you are on the liquid diet before surgery or not. You could also be going through a stall right now, this will happen off and on during your weight loss. It is just our bodies trying to figure out what is going on ans what it should do for self preservation. It will get better.

Dramagirl28 you have such a great attitude about stalls. I am in one now too and I try to stay positive but sometimes I slip. I am going to come back to this post every week that I don't lose to remind myself to keep being positive. Thank you!

Seriously, there's nothing we can do about the stall. It will come of when it's ready to. I think of weight loss like a feather... when you drop it, it falls, but catches a wind and floats up a little before it falls some more. Just keep getting in your Protein, making healthy choices, and using your sleeve to it's full potential and the feather will eventually hit the ground.