Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much weight loss before surgery on pre-op diet?

I work extremely hard to stay at my 31 bmi (almost a 30!)- 5 tiny meals a day, no starch or sugar, and at least 45 minutes of intense cardio a day.

My concern is, that after the pre-op diet for Dr. Kelly, I may drop weight and be (hopefully!) at a bmi of 29...BUT, that would make me too light for surgery, right? Is it expected by doctors that after two weeks of the pre-op diet that you are "already on the road to weight loss" and this is acceptable?

I know this sounds like a ridiculous problem, and chances are, knowing how strict I already am I won't likely lose a ton of weight on the pre-op diet, but it's a fear I have.

I have not been this " thin" in 10 years, and I'm not interested in going back to my old ways.

Not dumb at all. I had the same worries. My nurse practitioner told me to stop loosing a few weeks before my surgery. I don't know if they count the weight you lose on the pre-op liquid diet. That's sort of unavoidable right?

I had Kelly.. my bmi was 33 when I scheduled surgery and I was told that I only had to follow a plan three days prior to surgery. I don't see why you would need to be on a preop for two weeks. I contacted Dr. Aceves when I was researching surgeons and I was told I didn't need to do any preop at all due to a lower bmi. I ended up going to Kelly, but the point is, with a lower bmi the preop wasn't really required. Maybe look into it :)

I contacted him, and I he said I was required to do it for a week (not two), I am just hoping that being on a strict weight loss program already, plus being a bmi of 31-30 won't disqualify me. :(

I don't think that losing too much weight on the pre-op is really a big concern with the self-pay Drs. Usually it's more of a concern with Insurance in the States. Sometimes the State Drs require a certain # of lbs to lose before surgery and they will sometimes disqualify for that or for not sticking to your pre-op plan.

It's my understanding for most of the MX Drs, the pre-op diet is mainly for the shrinking of the liver so they can get around easier inside you to do the surgery, not for you to really lose a lot of weight, but if it concerns you, just ask your coordinator. I have never heard of someone being disqualified by a MX Dr or by Dr Kelly for losing too much. If you qualified based on your starting BMI to begin with they shouldn't penalize you for losing a little while trying to shrink your liver. I would verify this through Dr Kelly if it's worrying you.

:)

Thank you KellyL! I am hoping that is the case, I just have my fears as I'm slowly but surely losing weight on my current strict routine, and come November 7th its possible after a week of pre-op dieting and 2 days ofclear fluids, that I'll be firmly under a bmi of 29.

I realize it seems ridiculous to even want surgery at a bmi of 31 to some, I know for many people they took an entire year to get to 31 after being sleeved. I don't mean to sound ridiculous in my fears of being "too thin". Part of my fear comes from knowing they will meet my travel companion (my mother) who has developed severe anorexia after the death of her husband. I just worry I'll show up with my tiny mother, and me looking "not toooo heavy" and it may look like I don't belong there, given my mothers size.