Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

...is hard!

I'm up to 10 minutes at 5.5mph now, followed by 10 minutes at a walking pace (3.5mph/4.0mph) to cool down. I'm hoping to get up to eventually 30 minutes at 5.5-6.0mph, but I can tell -- it's going to take a while.

That being said, 10 minutes at 5.5mph gets me dripping sweat, so it must be pretty good exercise for this middle-aged guy. My heart rate gets up to around 155, which is right between the "I can still talk" range and "I can... *pant*... still talk... *pant*".

I'm just hoping to build cardiovascular strength and endurance, and burn yet more calories. <20% body fat, here I come!

Edit: one thing I'm thankful for: now that I weigh 220 instead of 330-ish, I can actually RUN without, you know, blowing out my knees or crippling myself for a week!

Running is such great exercise!!! I first completed the Couch to 5k program last year when I weighed 215lbs and running was HARD on my joints as well as my cardiovascular system. I'm doing the program again with a friend and yesterday was our 20 minute run, with no walking breaks. At my current weight of 165lbs it was a piece of cake! We do run slow but once we get used to the distance we'll concentrate on speed.

Keep running! The interval training is good for you, too. :)

I think that the running may be making my knees sore, which makes me sad. If it's true, I'll probably have to stop running; it's GREAT exercise, but you can't mess around with your knees. Ruin them and you're in for (literally) a lifetime of pain and limited mobility.

One piece of advice that I saw in re sore knees and running was to work on really beefing up the supporting muscles (quads, hamstrings, etc.) I may focus on that at the gym for a while, and go back to my recumbent bike for a bit. Maybe when I'm 10 pounds lighter I'll try again...

Hmm, it may simply be that I'm not using the right shoes. Apparently, as someone with fallen arches, I'm susceptible to "overpronation" (a term that I'd never heard of before!) and I need a specific type of shoe ("motion control") to help keep my gait correct and help absorb shock. The highest rated motion control runner's shoe apparently is "Brooks Addiction 9." Now I just need to find someplace locally that sells them (I won't buy clothing over the internet; how do you know if stuff fits before trying it on?)

HOPEFULLY I can keep running, but I'm NOT going to jack up my knees for it. I have a perfectly good recumbent exercise bike in the basement. It's not AS intense as running, but I can ramp up the difficulty level and get a "pretty good" workout.

Hi there-

My body does not like exercise that is tough on the joints - you may want to try pilates reformer workouts. They work on all the muscles while laying down :-) Once you are stronger, then maybe you can go back to a running routine.

As a person who hates exercise in all forms, I commend you on your determination!!!

I would love to run but everytime I try, I feel like I'm going to blow out my knee. It stinks. So I try other things. :) Hope you succeed your next go round!

I also have fallen arches and it makes it hard to run because of foot pain abd knee pain. My personal trainer a while back recommended Asics. I would also recommend going to a running shoe store. They measure you arches and feet. Then give you about 3-4 shoes to try on. They also watch you walk and run in them. That was the wet pair I ever had! Then, you can keep buying the same shoe after that. Good luck!

I look forward to giving the Couch to 5K plan a try. At what weight do you think running won't hurt the knees?

I still have 2 weeks before I can do anything more than walking. I'm sooooo looking forward to Kickboxing and maybe some Zumba.

Hey! Im doing the C25K now. However, i have modified it to fit me right now. So, rather than running, i speed walk when she says run...lol! Its great and i feel great. Then i do my 10 Minute Trainer (Tony Horton, Beach Body) workout. Its fab! Works the entire body and uses resistance bands and you dont need anything at all but you!

My goal is to hit 199 by 10/16/2011. Then i will start the C25K again and run this time :D

I look forward to giving the Couch to 5K plan a try. At what weight do you think running won't hurt the knees?

I still have 2 weeks before I can do anything more than walking. I'm sooooo looking forward to Kickboxing and maybe some Zumba.

I just started C25K today!! The running surprisingly didn't bother my knees or ankles at all . . . but I do need to get better shoes (I'm wearing my walking shoes and I need running shoes . .. am going tomorrow to get some). I'm really excited about running a 5K, my long-term goal is to run/walk our local mini-marathon by the time I'm 40!