Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slooow Burn in my belly ... is this the acid issue everyone speaks of???

I have this kind of burn in my stomach and I feel hungry a LOT. I've never had to deal with any acid issues before so I'm not familiar with what it actually feels like but .... I "think" this is it. It's been suggested here before to myself and others that after surgery you sometimes need to take a acid reducer.

Here's my issue ... I've recently joined the ranks of the unemployed without medical coverage. Do I HAVE to go to the Dr. to get a prescription for the acid stuff or can I just go get something OTC?? I'm saving my pennies for the event that a REALLY need to go see the Dr. ie ... and issues which THANKFULLY I've never had. :D

NOTE: I know that I "should go see a Dr. for a professional opinion" AND that nobody here is a Dr. ... therefore not authorized to give medical advice. lol Sooo I'm more interested in "been there done that advice". lol ;)

Thanks in advance!!!

PS ... I had surgery 8/17 and take 2 Omeprozal before bed per my surgeon (they're almost gone).

Sunny,

It does sound like Acid, of course I am not a dr. I switched from taking the 2 Omeprozal at night, to one in the morning on an empty stomach, then waiting an hr before eating anything. Then I take another at bedtime. When I ran out of the ones Dr Kelly sent home with me, I get the generic ones at Walmart, but I think you can get them anywhere now over the counter. I hope this gets better for you!!

:)

Kelly THANKS for the response! Do you know if Omeprozal is the equivalent of the other acid reducers out there? In other words are they all basically the same thing ... just by a different name? Omeprazole, Prilosec, Prevacid, Zegerid ... Generic brands ... UUGGHHH I'm getting a headache just thinking about all the choices. lol

Kelly THANKS for the response! Do you know if Omeprozal is the equivalent of the other acid reducers out there? In other words are they all basically the same thing ... just by a different name? Omeprazole, Prilosec, Prevacid, Zegerid ... Generic brands ... UUGGHHH I'm getting a headache just thinking about all the choices. lol

Omeprazole is generic Prilosec. One type will work well for one person, but not great for another. Sometimes you have to change up dosage or switch to find one that works really well. I got this info from the website http://www.medicinenet.com/omeprazole/article.htm

Omeprazole is in a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPI) that block the production of acid by the stomach. Other drugs in the class include lansoprazole (Prevacid), rabeprazole (Aciphex), pantoprazole (Protonix), and esomeprazole (Nexium). Proton pump inhibitors are used for the treatment of conditions such as ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, which are all caused by stomach acid. Omeprazole, like other proton-pump inhibitors, blocks the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid. By blocking the enzyme, the production of acid is decreased, and this allows the stomach and esophagus to heal. Zegerid contains omeprazole and an antacid (sodium bicarbonate). The FDA approved omeprazole in September 1989.

:)

Uuugghhhhhhh :-( I called my surgeon and he told me I can take 1 pill in the morning & 1 at night. I tried to do that but ended up having to take 2 because it was burning so bad. I think I need something waaaay stronger. It wasn't this bad before ... now it seems to be getting worse. The Dr. suggested I get some Nexium but when I went to Wallymart at the crack of dawn they said it was in the pharmacy and they were closed. I will be going back ... I'm going to look for a liquid form.

:-( this suuuuuucks!!!!

That does suck - it seems like my worst acid issues were in the 2-4 month timeframe. Make sure you are eating only very small meals, maybe 5 to 6 times a day. Cut out anything that might upset your stomach - for example I literally can't eat bread without a bubbling cauldron happening after, so I don't eat it anymore. Cut back on coffee, alcohol, juice, anything acidic that may be making it worse.

I hope you find some relief soon!

BTW - omeprazole should be sufficient, but there are lots of different variations that could be more affective. I took Zegerid for a while and it helped and then switched back to the regular omeprazole.

Good luck--

I just started taking Prilosec this morning. It says it can take 1-4 days to kick in.

OMG, are you eating cantaloupe??? when i was that early out I was eating so much of it, it tasted so darn good!!! soft and sweet and YUMMMM. well anyway.. the acid burn got sooo bad. couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell was doing it. talked to the pharmacist at the supermarket who took notice of the 3 in my cart. she said 'are you eating all that?' to which i responded 'oh yes, i just has WLS and it is so good'. she said sweetie that is your problem, too much of that will eat away at your tummy. i never knew it. Cut way way back and the acid stopped.

JUST A THOUGHT. check what you are eating and drinking!!!

I don't drink coffee,alcohol (yet) ... the only juice I've had lately is V8 splash ... could that be it??? I didn't even think about it ... I'm not going to drink another sip.

I eat/drink babybel lite cheese, chicken, tilapia, chicken/turkey deli meat slices, costco chocolate Protein shakes & Water (with flavorings) .... that's it. :-(

I stay hungry ... but now I don't know if I'm hungry or if its the acid. :-( Looking forward to relief!

V8 splash can do it - also check your mix ins for your Water - acid is not an ingredient you want!!

Woooow I didn't even THINK about my mix ins. I just got the box and the very first ingredient is Citric Acid!!!! Then ... about 6 ingredients later is Ascorbic Acid .... whatever that is??? Guess I gotta find new mix ins.

I actually just took my Omeprozol and my stomach started burning .... lol Could it be the meds?? Geeesh I'm tired of this.

Ascorbic acid is Vitamin C. Citric acid and ascorbic acid are both non-toxic preservatives and flavor enhancers, but they are STRONGLY acidic and will definitely make your acid reflux worse.

And yes, OTC omeprazole (I get mine bulk at costco, and it works a treat) is identical to the much-more-expensive Prilosec. If prilosec works for you, Omeprazole will too.

Expect to have acid problems for a few months until you learn what you can safely eat and get your acid-blocker regimen figured out. It's not pleasant, but (in my opinion) it's a small price to pay in order to leave the ranks of the obese... And it DOES, eventually, get better (although I suspect it will never 100% go away).

I really think it was the juice because since I stopped drinking the V8 the burn has decreased substantially. I've also not had any of my Water mix ins since I posted this thread because I was too scared. lol For a few days it was HORRIBLE. Now I just add lemon juice to my water and that doesn't bother me. For the most part the burn is gone.

I'm soooo happy I'm not still chugging V8 with a burning belly wondering what the problem is. lol

THAAAAANKS for all the advice and suggestions!!!

Sunny, thanks so much for starting this thread! I've had such bad heartburn and couldn't figure out what was going on. It was my Crystal Lite! I quit drinking it yesterday and haven't had heartburn since (it was pretty much 24/7 before)!