Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had ice cream the 2nd week out. I knew I needed the calories, I was so weak. But that's just me, just sayin.

I had ice cream the 2nd week out. I knew I needed the calories, I was so weak. But that's just me, just sayin.

Thats exactly where I was coming from Sleeve4me. Thanks for understanding :)

Thats exactly where I was coming from Sleeve4me. Thanks for understanding :)

Got your back girl lol...no but seriously, my sleeve sister pamelaam was sleeved a month after I was and her doctor told her specifically to go and eat ice cream after her post op appointment because her blood pressure was soooo low they couldn't even find a reading. It made me feel like I made the right choice :)

You know that I adore you, but it's NOT the best option. That was my point along, and somehow this entire thread got blown out of proportion.

Gatorade has sugar, PLUS electrolytes. Greek yogurt has calories, carbs and Protein. I drank regular gatorade because I needed the calories as well..

The point is that you can eat it. Should you, not really, or are there better options out there that can give you sustained energy along with nutrients, YES!

Got your back girl lol...no but seriously, my sleeve sister pamelaam was sleeved a month after I was and her doctor told her specifically to go and eat ice cream after her post op appointment because her blood pressure was soooo low they couldn't even find a reading. It made me feel like I made the right choice :)

Hahaha Thanks! I am an RN and knew my body needed the power at the time. I got jumped on like I at a gallon of double fudge brownie ooey gooey something or other. For pete's sake, it was half of a low fat vanilla cone. I wasn't asking if it was "okay" to search for approval. I simply wanted to know if others thought it would be too heavy for my two week out tummy. I didn't need the spiel of bad choices blah blah blah. LOL. Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for being so kind. We are in this thing together, and I'm glad I have someone like you! :-)

You know that I adore you, but it's NOT the best option. That was my point along, and somehow this entire thread got blown out of proportion.

Gatorade has sugar, PLUS electrolytes. Greek yogurt has calories, carbs and Protein. I drank regular gatorade because I needed the calories as well..

The point is that you can eat it. Should you, not really, or are there better options out there that can give you sustained energy along with nutrients, YES!

OMG I AM CRACKING UP! I am at Sam's club using a computer in the electronic section to send a reply to this cuz my dumb blackberry isn't working fast enough...ANYHOO, I didn't read any of the other posts before, I didn't realize anything was going on, I'm so sorry!!!

I totally agree with you Tiff totally! I just couldn't drink anything for some reason liquids felt like a golf ball going down. But again YES you are correct!!! OK Gotta go, people are staring...LOL LOL LOL

Hugs to ALL!

Can we all just get along...Rodney King

Hahaha Thanks! I am an RN and knew my body needed the power at the time. I got jumped on like I at a gallon of double fudge brownie ooey gooey something or other. For pete's sake, it was half of a low fat vanilla cone. I wasn't asking if it was "okay" to search for approval. I simply wanted to know if others thought it would be too heavy for my two week out tummy. I didn't need the spiel of bad choices blah blah blah. LOL. Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for being so kind. We are in this thing together, and I'm glad I have someone like you! :-)

I don't want you to feel like I jumped on you.

I answered you honestly, gave you better options, and it appeared like you were offended because I told you that I didn't think it was the best choice. Which, honestly, it's not no matter how much we want to justify it. I just sat and ate 3 creme filled British of sort cookie things. I have plums and pears in the fridge, but I wanted the damn Cookies. We're all human. Grant it, my stomach is healed, I don't have transit time issues like I had when I was early out with heavy dairy, or sugar laden foods so it's a little different. I have transit time issues with veggies which sucks.

No one can tell you if something is too heavy for your stomach.We're just a bunch of internet strangers trying to help each other. That's why it's advised to follow the prescribed post-op dietary guideline above what anyone else says.

FOR ME,,, this surgery was about changing former bad habits as well as eating less. Lets not pick each other apart, lets us best support one another to do what is right for each of is. Truth is you can cheat the sleeve by putting down high calorie, high carb, high fat food. Did any of go through this surgery to fail??????

The sleeve is not a miracle, it is a tool. We still have a life time of better food choices ahead of us. As my surgeon put it, sweets are slippery slope! I personally had my fist piece of ice cream b day cake in a over year, and well because I restricted myself the first 8 months it was not even appealing any more, Give me some fresh fruit and Greek Yogurt!

Its over. Please don't try to rehash what is done. Thank You.

OMGOSH I'm SOOOO SORRY! I just read some of the posts. I initially just read your original post and answered it. I answered because I actually ate ice cream after surgery (I was desperate) and I was fine afterwards, but again that's just ME, just sayin. I am not promoting this for anyone else. It's actually kind of neat that we are not alone and can find others that have the shared some of the same experiences.

Yes TempChange, actually the icecream wasn't that appealing to me either. I was just weak and desperate for something I knew would give me some fat and sugar. I was really tired of feeling so yuck. I aggree, we are all here to support each other. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me IF I should eat it, I was looking for advice on how ice cream might sit at two weeks out. I'm not dumb. I KNOW that ice cream isn't a good nutritional choice LOL. I deserve a bit more credit than that I think. But what's done is done. I am glad that we have this great community to bounce ideas off each other. Thanks!

SLEEVE 4 ME you were the person I was looking for when I originally posted that! Your answer would have been perfect. Just to know that someone else out there tried it. That is what I was looking for LOL....:)

SLEEVE 4 ME you were the person I was looking for when I originally posted that! Your answer would have been perfect. Just to know that someone else out there tried it. That is what I was looking for LOL....:)

I don't think any questions are ever silly or dumb...well I take that back. When I see posts like OMG I'm bleeding, have a fever and throwing up type of questions, I am tempted to say Er um, OMG SERIOUSLY??????? CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!! OR GO TO THE ER AND DO NOT PASS GO! LOL! But I don't reply...I just pray everything is OK with them and move on...OK Peace out y'all!!!

Yes TempChange, actually the icecream wasn't that appealing to me either. I was just weak and desperate for something I knew would give me some fat and sugar. I was really tired of feeling so yuck. I aggree, we are all here to support each other. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me IF I should eat it, I was looking for advice on how ice cream might sit at two weeks out. I'm not dumb. I KNOW that ice cream isn't a good nutritional choice LOL. I deserve a bit more credit than that I think. But what's done is done. I am glad that we have this great community to bounce ideas off each other. Thanks!

I just want to maybe clarify this for you:

Translation, voice inflection can both get lost over the typed word. The sheer fact that we do not know you from Adam, we don't know that you are a nurse, we don't know you at all, we don't know what credit should be given, because let's be honest, after 2 years and seeing people post "I'm 10 days out, can I eat jelly Beans, cheetos, etc etc or I"m 4 weeks out, supposed to be on purees, do you think it'll hurt if I gnaw down on some beef ribeye this weekend at a barbque??? Do you see why these type of statements get some of the replies??? So, remember when you post something, we can not decipher what you NEED to know. You simply stated: I am 15 days out. I am still on a full liquid diet. Do you think an ice cream cone or sundae from McDonald's is okay to eat? I Have well over the amount of calories left.

This is how it reads to some of us and this might clear up why you got the reaction/replies: I'm 15 days out, supposed to be a on full liquid diet, I want to eat ice cream because I have the calorie allotment for the day. NOT, I'm 15 days out, feeling very sluggish, need calories, and was thinking about having some fat free frozen yogurt/ice cream or no sugar added ice cream. Would these cause an issue with my new sleeve or did anyone else try ice cream this early out?

Those 2 statements are vastly different. My reply would have been different although I would have suggested the same alternatives, but you asked about an ice cream sundae after having a huge portion of a major organ amputated so you can lose weight, and you wanted someone else to tell you they were fine after eating ice cream. That is NOT what you asked.

Perception is 9/10ths of the law, you asked a pretty vague question, and apparently wanted a completely different type of reply. Replies are reactive to the question.

Maybe now, you'll see why people replied the way we did initially. Your question was then followed by caloric justification. You're a nurse, you get this situation I'm sure in your daily job. For example (my aunt is an ob nurse) and she gets questions all the time, and they are not verbalized properly, or the patient can not communicate properly, or via email replies she says she just sits there and wonders how in the h*ll this woman was able to procreate.

I'll drop it at this point. You took the replies as chastising and insulting. We simply read and replied based on what you asked. We aren't mind readers, and I dropped my crystal ball years ago so unfortunately, we can only reply based on what you give us.

So here's something that I wouldn't necessarily advise for others but it was what my surgeon advised for me after 11 days when I was so weak I couldn't hardly stand and they couldn't even get a blood pressure reading on me. He said "go home and eat ice cream". So I bought those little Haagan Das little cups and it took me 4 sittings to eat just one but after doing that Friday night, Saturday and Sunday I actually woke up on Monday morning feeling normal again. He told me that my body could not take the lack of carbs. Everyone is different. I suggest that we all listen to our surgeons and go by what they are telling us - they are trained to adjust when necessary and that is what he had to do for me. I would have never done that on my own and honestly was shocked when he suggested it but it was, as they say, "just what the doctor ordered".

And this is a surgeon in SoCal that does thousands of these procedures and there is a waiting list to get in to him.

Everyone's body is different and that is why we have medical professionals gudiing us through this process. We have people in our support group that can't stop losing weight and are eating donuts and drinking alcohol and then there are others like me who stick to a plan for the most part and end up and very long stalls. We are all different and our bodies react differently.

But again, please defer to your surgeon for guidance on what my work for your particular biochemistry. Don' t take chances with a surgery like this one - leave it up to the experts. But trust me, we have ALL eaten something at least once that was probably not the smartest move and we paid the price :-(