Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do They Think I'm an Idiot?

I know they care, but seriously? My mother said: Be sure that this is what you want to do and I know you will thoroughly look into it and weigh the side effects of such a procedure.

Well DUH!! <_<

I really shouldn't have told anyone outside my immediate family. I told my mother to keep it under wraps, but I'm sure she's told her friends, my uncle, her hairdresser, etc. I could kick myself.:angry:

I think she is just saying I want to keep you safe and sound. I had showed my mom the sites and surgeries on youtube and told her to ask me any questions about the surgery. She had started to ask the questions and felt a little safer, then she wanted to know more of my DR. and I told her of him and in doing so I told her that I have been watching him and getting information for over 2 months. Then I asked her of her last surgery and how did she choose her Dr. and how much research she had done......," Well, none. Kaiser picked him out for me." she said. She hasn't said anything negative about the surgery sense.

I know exactly what you mean and we share the exact mother and that is why to this day she still doesnt know that I had the surgery done. I didnt want my haridresser , the mailman and the checkout lady at wallmart to know either lol................Good luck and much success with your weight loss journey and your mother :rolleyes:

I know they care, but seriously? My mother said: Be sure that this is what you want to do and I know you will thoroughly look into it and weigh the side effects of such a procedure.

Well DUH!! dry.gif

I really shouldn't have told anyone outside my immediate family. I told my mother to keep it under wraps, but I'm sure she's told her friends, my uncle, her hairdresser, etc. I could kick myself.:angry:

I understand. My parents support me now my hubby gives me a little bit of a hard time but he tells everyone. And I didn't even tell my work what I was doing and I have a neighbor walk up to me in a restaurant and tell me about her aunt that had the same surgery I was shocked that she knew

Thanks. I really am pretty private about most things and anyone who knows me would know that I research things to death. That's why I'm here even before the first consult.

Yep, mammas always worry about their kids. Mine was worried too years ago I was pondering WLS and she really tried to discourage me thinking I would end up starving to death. Odd, it was part the inheritance I got from her estate that paid for mine!

I have a sister in law question me about my choice to have wls last year. She pointed out that I could die from THIS TYPE of surgery. I responded , "really?" Wow, did you know that I could drop dead from a stroke if I don't do something? Yep she shut up rather quickly. And to top it off she has been complaining about her weight. And how having a Tummy Tuck to lose her weight would solve her problem. I too thought that by having a tummy tuck that would eliviate my weight troubles. Yeah not so much. The weight came back to my legs and hips, face. And then to my abdominal area. The procedure I had is what is called a lower body lift. I spent major bucks to have that done. The weight came back in a little over a year. I tried to tell her that would not "cure her obesity" but if she wanted to spend major bucks to find out on her own then more power to her. So to say the least I haven't seen her in almost a year. (Thanksgiving to be exact) So lets see what she says this year when we all get together, I can't wait. ;)

Deb

thats why i didnt tell anyone. only my hubby and my daughter know. i just didnt need the extra stress and criticism!

That is exactly why I told nobody but my husband. I didn't want to hear the negative bologna and ignorance that people like to say!

I researched for over a year and had my surgery 17 weeks ago and STILL, the only person that knows is my husband!

Kelly :)

I told my parents and now my mom has told the world. The other thing is my mom didn't listen when I told her which procedure b/c she's told everyone I was doing the bypass, which freaked people out.

Luckily, I've had an opportunity to talk to them about it and show them I've done my research. Now, my mom is wanting to help me out.

Gotta love 'em.

I told my mom too and asked her not to tell anyone that I wanted it private. I got on Facebook yesterday and my stepsister who I havent talked to in over 20 years messaged me and asked about my surgery!!!! I was furious to say the least! At least she didnt post it on facebook but she knows and she shouldnt know! Now I guess every Harry, d**k and Tom will know! Very frustrating! I meant the D word as a mans name... not a body part and it changed it to **.. funny!

I wish I had the type of Mom that I could tell, but she would tell the world. So just my immediate family knows. Not only do I not want to hear all the Negative Nancy's out there, I don't want to be defined as "the girl who had WLS".

My mom supports my decision but when we talk about any aspect of the surgery she asks..."how are you going to do this, you like to eat too much". Yes I like to eat but she hasn't done the research either so I know that the hunger part is being removed for the most part. She doesn't understand that this is a tool I need for my health.

My mother said: Be sure that this is what you want to do and I know you will thoroughly look into it and weigh the side effects of such a procedure.

Wow, am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with what Catracks mom said?

Lots of moms tell their kids "be sure that this is what you want to do" when major events are about to happen. She also acknowledged that Catracks doesn't take things lightly. That's a compliment in my book.

All, I wish I still had my mom around...:( Cancer got her about 3 years ago, she was perpetually over weight too and I suspect that contributed to her health issues.