Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve around your stomach ?

I just joined this website because my husband and I are looking into getting the Gastric Sleeve Surgery done, and wanted some information on what it is exactly. I have been reading comments, and one of them said, "My Sleeve rocks", does this mean there is like a sleeve around your stomach? Forgive me for asking stupid questions, just trying to understand what its all about.

"The sleeve" they are referring to is the stomach itself. In this surgery you're stomach is cut and a large portion of it is removed. The stomach that is left roughly is the shape of a banana and looks like a sleeve. It works because it restricts the amount you can it. Many people chose this over the band because there is no foreign object in the body.

You definitely came to the right place for information! Good luck on your journey :) Maybe you will be on the losers bench soon :)

Boy, you brought back memories! When I first heard of the sleeve, I thought it was a sleeve around the stomach too! Google Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and you'll get lots of good info. Basically, it's called a sleeve because during the operation about 80% of your stomach is removed and the remainder is stapled along the side where they cut. You wind up with a sleeve-shaped stomach. Looks kinda like a long shirt sleeve.

Lynda

Basically it is stomach stapling. Just browse internet you will find some utube videos. They take a staple gun and go down middle of stomach making it smaller than remove the outside portion. Surgery only takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. Unlike bypass you have no obstruction going into stomach and have full intestinal track to absorb Vitamins and minerals.

on your computer google "how gastric sleeve is performed" that should give you the info you're looking for

I just joined this website because my husband and I are looking into getting the Gastric Sleeve Surgery done, and wanted some information on what it is exactly. I have been reading comments, and one of them said, "My Sleeve rocks", does this mean there is like a sleeve around your stomach? Forgive me for asking stupid questions, just trying to understand what its all about.

Check out Youtube to watch a VSG operation. There are some good ones posted and they are informative....