Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Kelly Nov 7th! Questions...

I booked with Sandy for Dr. Kelly, I'm taking my mom with me as my companion for my VSG. I'm an active "lightweight" (BMI 31), and I decided on VSG after researching plication and deciding it wasn't the safest and most effective option for me. I'd like (ideally) to do one WLS in my life if possible.

Questions for everyone!:

What "hurts" after surgery? The surgical site and your stomach? I've never had organ surgery (but I've had liposuction) and I found I was sore but able to function within a day. What about VSG is uncomfortable and keeps you out of work? Will (likely) I be able to drive the 2 hours back to la after I'm released and rested?

When you were able to excersize or take long walks? I enjoy excersize quite a lot.

Any other low BMIs out there? What were your results like? I hope I lose 1-2 lbs a week, but I'm trying to not set expectations. I know with low BMIs you lose slower, as you have less to lose.

What were the 2-3 days in the hospital (or clinic) like? How out of it, and immobilized were you? Completely hooked up to IVs the whole time, or just simple drains/catheter?

Do you have photos of your scars? I am not

I'm also a lightwieght at a BMI of 30. I'm undecided yet on Dr. KELLY or Dr. POMPA. I've heard good reviews on both. The only thing that is I can't decide on is the price. Dr. Pompa is roughly $3500 more than Dr. Kelly. When I first started researching WLS, I would have been able to book on my own through LIMARP, but now they go through a co-ordinator here in Canada and the price is jacked way up.... Please update on how your surgery goes with Dr. Kelly. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but I saw you were a "lightweight" like me... :) Good Luck!

I booked with Sandy for Dr. Kelly, I'm taking my mom with me as my companion for my VSG. I'm an active "lightweight" (BMI 31), and I decided on VSG after researching plication and deciding it wasn't the safest and most effective option for me. I'd like (ideally) to do one WLS in my life if possible.

Questions for everyone!:

What "hurts" after surgery? The surgical site and your stomach? I've never had organ surgery (but I've had liposuction) and I found I was sore but able to function within a day. What about VSG is uncomfortable and keeps you out of work? Will (likely) I be able to drive the 2 hours back to la after I'm released and rested?

When you were able to excersize or take long walks? I enjoy excersize quite a lot.

Any other low BMIs out there? What were your results like? I hope I lose 1-2 lbs a week, but I'm trying to not set expectations. I know with low BMIs you lose slower, as you have less to lose.

What were the 2-3 days in the hospital (or clinic) like? How out of it, and immobilized were you? Completely hooked up to IVs the whole time, or just simple drains/catheter?

Do you have photos of your scars? I am not

I was sleeved by dr kelly last wed--i really didn't hurt anywhere--didn't even have any gas pain

saturday after surgery--i felt so good--we rented a car and drove from Tijuana to vegas to gamble--sunday we drove from vegas to home (texas) i even drove part of the way--i had a little pillow that i put between my tummy and the seatbelt

i haven't really walked that much yet--i feel shaky from no calories and i don't want to fall

My surgery with Dr. Kelly is Nov. 4th and I will be leaving the hotel on the 8th so I will probably just miss you. I was hoping to find someone there the same time to know ahead of time. Good luck and a speedy recovery for both of us.

I am set on Dr. Kelly as a surgeon.... just need to get over the pre-surgey jitters, finalizing financing, and pick a date, I was actually thinking somewhere between the 1st and 8th, so hey, if I get my butt in gear... we can all be sleeve sisters. LOL

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly on July 29th. Here are my answers to your questions...

What hurt - about an hour after surgery I had extremely bad gas pains for about 5 minutes. The drain tube was uncomfortable, but not painful. You will have 5 incision sites, one low between your breasts, the other 4 are about 3" lower going across your stomach...1) under right breast "ish" 2) under left breast "ish" 3) left of the left breast (I believe this is where the stomach was pulled out) 4) sort of near your left "side" (this is where the drain tube is placed). If you really want a photo you can PM me and I'll try to send one to you.

Functioning again - my surgery was at 3:30pm and I was in and out of it until morning (except during that 5 minutes of gas pain). I was good to go the next morning, just tired. Barring any complications you will be just fine when head home.

Walking - I was walking 6 blocks to and from the hotel the day I was released from the hospital (surgery on Fri, released Sun). Really long walks I'd say about a week, just because of being tired.

In hospital - hooked up to the IV and the drain tube. Saturday afternoon they started to not be concerned if I was off the IV for a while after walking the halls. No catheter (yippee!)

If you want a bit more "in depth" you can check out my blog (link below). It's a bit behind, but I do have it thru my return home.

Thank you all for the responses! I feel very confident about my choice to see Dr. Kelly, I've yet to hear any genuinely bad reviews about the quality of his work or care.

I am happy to hear that you werent too uncomfortable after surgery, I was really concerned about the drive but this has calmed my nerves. My mom and I are actually planning to spend the latter end of the week in palm springs before we head back to la (home), and I'm optimistic I'll be ok to lounge around and sip fluids.

I am set on Dr. Kelly as a surgeon.... just need to get over the pre-surgey jitters, finalizing financing, and pick a date, I was actually thinking somewhere between the 1st and 8th, so hey, if I get my butt in gear... we can all be sleeve sisters. LOL

smile.gif You and I are in the same boat...I need to pick a date I have the down payment for Dr. Kelly...Ladies what are you going to do for the holidays Thanksgiving, ect...

Another member just posted that he had a death. Do you know what happened?

Thank you all for the responses! I feel very confident about my choice to see Dr. Kelly, I've yet to hear any genuinely bad reviews about the quality of his work or care.

I am happy to hear that you werent too uncomfortable after surgery, I was really concerned about the drive but this has calmed my nerves. My mom and I are actually planning to spend the latter end of the week in palm springs before we head back to la (home), and I'm optimistic I'll be ok to lounge around and sip fluids.

he did have a death--but you have to weigh how many surgeries he has done on us high risk people against his death numbers--which I believe to be one. I know several surgeons and don't think any of them have a number like that.

The death was in June, I beleive there is detailed info on the circumstances in the "drs and hospitals" section. This was his only death, and as an experienced surgical tech myself, I can tell you it was a very unlikely occurrence that lead to her death. No surgery is 100% safe, no matter who you go to.

I am taking a whole week off. My current job is very low impact, I essentially sit and talk to clients and use my arms lightly (I'm not currently doing surgical tech work). If I'm still sore, I'll call and get more time off. I base this on knowing how I've dome after liposuction and a breast reduction (4 days off), thigh liposuction (2 days off), and breast lift (2 days off). Though I tend to go back to work quickly, I don't want to assume I'll be just fine to sit and talk to clients (I really really love my job), I know I tend to be fairly quick with the time off. If I am in far too much pain, or my Dr. advises otherwise, I will obviously take more time off.

smile.gif You and I are in the same boat...I need to pick a date I have the down payment for Dr. Kelly...Ladies what are you going to do for the holidays Thanksgiving, ect...

I am definitely doing this before Thanksgiving - aiming between the 7th and 10th of Nov. That way I can take that week, the following week, and probably Monday and Tuesday of the third week... come back to work on Wednesday.... and then have the Thanksgiving break to come back the following Tuesday. That way I get my Thanksgiving pay by working that one day. :)

I had surgery with Dr. Kelly the begining of Aug. I have to tell you that I had the best experience that I could have asked for. I was so scared, and I am not no young chick!! I m 59 and have a ton of comobidities. I flew in on a Sat. and had surgery on Monday. and I had no problems. I had a bit of shoulder pain after surgery and some pain at the site. But the next morning I was up, walking and going outside. I never took any of the pain meds that I was given. I stayed at the hospital till Wed. then went to the hotel till Sat am. and I felt GREAT! I had no problems except a bit of diareah which was my fault. I had some of that wonderful mexican beef broth. big no no. stick with the powdered broth, and liquids. When I got home i was tired, but i drove. so its up to how you feel and as long as your not on any pain meds. you should be fine. I could have gone back to work that week, but I stayed home and took a few weeks off. I was tired off and on for two weeks, but there was no problems from the surgery. I just had to be sure to sip, sip, sip and get in the Protein. I was lucky to have Trish when I was there, she took care of everything. I was picked up at the airport, drove to the hotel, then to the hospital and then back to the hotel, and she took me shopping! She is there in Mx. where the others that you book with are brookers, and aren't in Mx. but you will be fine. You are in good hands with Dr. Kelly. He is a very wonderful dr. and he visited me each night in the hospital and in the hotel. good luck to you!!