Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks out..Im doing horrible!

I was sleeved Aug 24th, I am 2 weeks post op. I feel "fine" with the exception of being tired all of the time, which I feel like is from not taking in enough calories for energy. My surgeons nurse told me I was supposed to try to start planning my meals and get 350 calories/meal. I am no where near that amount of calories. I may eat 1 ounce of tuna and 1 ounce of applesauce for a meal....and this is all I can eat, how do I get 350 calories from that??? They also say not to rely on my Protein Shakes, try to eat my protein....but I am not getting enough Protein in without them! ALSO....this Fluid intake...I am no where near getting enough fluid in...I am probably gettin in half of the required amount of fluid a day! Tomorrow I start soft foods, maybe it will get better, I hope it does, I go back to work Thursday...Im a nurse and work 12 hour shifts, so I cant imagine feeling this wore out at work! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am also a nurse. I am 11 days post op. I am having some awful anxiety issues. I am nowhere near my calorie or Fluid intake either. I will be returning to work soon too. I also work 12 hour shifts and I'm really nervous about it. How old Are you? Maybe we can buddy up and work together on this? I would appreciate any advice.

I'm in my 9th week and only now can get anything close to 300 calories at a sitting and it's not something I would do frequently. That's an egg on toast with a slice of bacon! lol

For the first month I was lucky to get 150 calories at a sitting unless it was a Protein shake. Seriously, you probably won't be able to eat a scrambled egg for another week or so.

My instructions were to supplement with Protein shakes to make up the diff until you "eventually' reach the point where you can get your Protein from eating (approx 700 cals a day for me).

For the first 2-3 weeks it was ALL About the Water and the Proteins. It's a slow transition from supplements, to food/supplements, and finally to all food no shakes.< /p>

I'm 4 weeks out and getting between 550-700 calories a day, INCLUDING my Protein shakes (2x day for about 50 grams) and 3 meals. I eat about 2 oz per meal, and try to stress Protein . . . while also getting a few fruits/veggies. So for example I might have an oz of tuna salad and an oz of sliced cheese, or an oz of cheese and an oz of applesauce.

I can't imagine hitting 350 cals per meal already!

You might want to double-check with your nutritionist on that.

Good luck!!

I'm four weeks out and can get in just a few ounces of food a meal, usually 2 meals because anything more pushes me not to reach my fluids. I am not reaching my Protein goal (honestly. I don't know what it is but am sure it is more than I get). Today has been one of my worst days since being home as far as fluids - I started back to work today, thankfully I work from home but I did not meet my fluids, still trying but no way can I stay up much longer :( BTW, I can't do the Protein Shakes. I did get almost 400 calories in today, that's probably the highest range I get to - usually it is more like 100-200 which is pretty hard to function on. I was exhausted after about 6 hours of desk work.

i am a little over 4 months out and there is NO WAY i could eat 350 calories at one time!! i try to eat 800-1000 calories a day and have to in order to lose weight. when i get less than that, i stall.

I have to eat 5-6 small meals a day. i call it snacking. I am not supposed to do this, but i have to in order to get my calories in. it works for me and it is what i have to do.

i follow the Protein first rule and can only eat 2oz at a time. when i can only eat such a small amount of meat, that doesn't add up to many calories. i am not going to eat crap just to fill the void. sometimes, if i am low on calories for the day, i will have nuts to up my calories, but mostly i just eat 5-6 times a day.

Kelly :D

I think sometimes the dieticians just don't "get it" as far as how little food and liquid we are actually able to take in comfortably. Don't panic or worry. Just do what you can do--focus on getting in as much Fluid as you can. Protein shakes are good for both Fluid and Protein. Gatorade is good for fluid and electrolytes.

I was in the same boat as y'all fresh out of surgery and really worried about not getting in my Water or protein. But what can you do but keep trying? No worries--you will heal and be able to take in more as you go. Just do what you can at the speed your body will accept. Trust the process. You can't "mess it up," as long as you're trying to stay hydrated and trying to follow the food instructions. Don't expect to eat 350 calories at a meal for a while--just eat a few bites, if that's what you can tolerate, and eat a few more later.

Hang in there! It gets better with time.

im 3 weeks out and am happy if i get 400 calories in a day. normally i am full of energy since the surgery, but today i feel like poop. my period is coming so i think that is draining me. this is my first since surgery. i am really tired and just want to sleep right now.

I was the same way as you before. It took me about a month before I felt like I had any energy. I still have trouble sometimes getting in all the Fluid and Protein that they want me to take in. It is a struggle everyday, but don't give up! Stick to the plan and do what you can to the best of what they are telling you and it will all work out. I am over 6 months post-op and I have lost 68 lbs. I have stalls that sometimes last weeks, but they alway seem to break. So don't get discouraged if you do hit those stalls. Sometimes, I just eat what I want for a day and boom, I start loosing again. Other times, I go for an extra walk and that does the trick. Our bodies are really changing right now so I just try to remember that my body is "stressed" and to give it sometime and it will start working again.

Hang in there! It does get better. Just remember to eat your Protein first and chew really well. I would sip in between my meal/snacks.

Thanks so much for the encouragement everyone! I am so glad to knowI am not the only one feeling like this and struggling! I will try to drink a Protein Shake in order to substitute for my lack of calories. I ate about a half of scrambled egg this morning for Breakfast and it felt fine, no nausea or anything! So I guess in a little bit I will try to drink a shake, but right now I am just way to full to try it!! I hope everyone has a good rest of the week! I am headed back to work tomorrow(7p to 7a) I hope it goes ok!! And I hope I can stay awake, as I feel so drained!!!! ugh!blink.gif