Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I sleeve or Not to Sleeve

Hello All, I have been really researching for a while and decided to make the jump and get the Sleeve my only concern while researching I have read that people are not loosing as much and the Duodenal Switch is better because when you get the sleeve you hit stalls...Is this true? What are your honest thoughts..what made you choose the sleeve and not the duodenal switch or lap-band ect..

thanks

I have never heard of the Switch. I had the lap band for over a year, and recently converted to the Sleeve 10 days ago. I was VERY disappointed with the lap band. I did great with the band for the first 6 months. I had lost about 40 lbs, then I had something get stuck and it was downhill from there. I was constantly seeing the doctor as things always got stuck. It seems with the band, once you had an issue, it was downhill from there. I gained weight. Spent lots of money going to the doctor to have Fluid let out, then even more money to get Fluid back in once my stomach "rested".

My advice.....don't do the band. I know it works for a lot of people.....but the sleeve has been great for me thus far. The band was a nightmare.

Thanks J for your response...The band is no longer an option for me..trying to decided between the Duodenal Switch or the sleeve...

How much weight did you loose with the sleeve? Was it slow? I know everyone is different...

Well, after the weight gain with the band, my total BAND weight loss was like 30 lbs.

I have only had the sleeve for 10 days, so........I can't answer for it. I can already tell I am much happier with the sleeve than the band. Since my pre op diet, and post of diet thus far I have lost 17 lbs.

I had my sleeve done on 6-08-2011 and have lost 44 lbs so far. I have a coworker who had the full gastric bypass 2 weeks before me and she has lost 70. So if you want to lose fast then that is the way. However let me caution you I can eat just about anything now with healthy limits (salad, chicken, veggies, fruit etc.) my coworker however has not been so lucky. She is still only able to eat soft foods such as cottage cheese and Soups. Thus the reason for her weight loss. She also throws up quite a bit. WHile I am losing slower I feel it is a healthier way to lose and I am happier then being 243 lbs. So look at all your options the best one for you will have to be your decision for me the sleeve was the best of all worlds and I couldn't be happier :) Good luck and I am happy to chat if you have any questions

AManda

All I can tell you is that this is your decision. . . i chose the sleeve because i didn't want the band and it was all i could afford as a self pay person. . . if you can afford more, go for whatever you want. . . good luck

Thanks guys I appreciated your feedback...decided to go with the sleeve after doing my own due diligencebiggrin.gif I am going to be a self pay as well...I just really want to get rid of my diabetes. I am on insulin three times a day. I have been working out real hard so my numbers can be low and I also eat low carb meals. I went to the doctor and asked why I am not loosing any weight and he told me that insulin puts on weight..SAY WHATblink.gif

I think no matter which WLS you chose stalls will happen. No matter which you can sabotage. For me what decided it was the fact that with the sleeve issues with mal-absorption and dumping are not a problem. There are a certain class of cardiac drugs that you will not be able to take after the DS and if one day you need one of them you'll have to settle for a less successful drug. I liked the idea that with the sleeve you are left with a normal GI tract functionally it works like everyone else. Lastly with the sleeve if it doesn't work or you regain you can go on and get the DS. Originally the sleeve was developed as the first step in getting bypass for those whose weight made it too dangerous to just get the bypass.

I am very tempted by the DS. There are some downsides, though. I am worried about malabsoprtion. DSers have to take a LOT of Vitamins for the rest of their lives - like 20-30 pills a day. A big deal for some, not for others. You have to be very very diligent if you get a DS to ensure your proper nutrition. Labs must be drawn regularly that make sure your numbers are good, and adjustments made to Vitamin regimen as needed.

WIth the DS, the operation itself is very complicated, so it is very important to go to an experienced surgeon. DSfacts.com has a list of surgeons that are good. Most weight loss surgeons don't do the DS, so travel is needed for many patients to find a good DS surgeon.

It's a hard decision, I know. THe numbers for DS are very impressive. Honestly, if you are diabetic, then you should seriously consider the DS because it has a very high cure rate - like 98%. But with the DS comes a lot of responsibility and lifelong diligence to stay healthy. So if the Vitamins and frequent blood tests would be a problem, then you are safer doing the sleeve. (Vitamins and blood tests are also important with the sleeve, of course, but not as immediately life or death critical as with the DS).

Also, keep in mind that the sleeve is part of the DS. Every DSer has a sleeve stomach - some are just a bit larger than sleeve-only patients, it depends on the surgeon. Some SMO patients have the DS done in two stages, with the sleeve first and the "switch" second. So you could always get the sleeve and then add the switch later if you find you haven't lost enough weight or resolved your diabetes. But doing it as two separate operations has downsides - you tend to not lose quite as much than if you had it all done at once. You have to have a top notch surgeon for what is basically a "revision" surgery. Scar tissue from your first surgery can make it more complicated. Also, if money is a concern, be aware that some insurance companies won't cover a revision surgery.

It sounds like you've already made the decision to go with the sleeve. But in case you are still debating, I wanted to add my two cents. Good luck with whatever operation you choose. It's a tough choice - but I'm sure you'll have success no matter what you decide is best for you!

I don't know. I've had great success with my sleeve so far but I worry about regaining in the future. Some days I wish I had the DS to be sure that I won't ever get really fat again one day. On the other hand I've seen 2 ppl I know in the hospital from complications. The malabsorption is very real and so scare of being malnutritioned. Also DS have to plan their day carefully so they don't eat things that gives them gas or if they have to poop because it smells GAWD awful. I'm happy I had the sleeve and I'd do it over again, same surgery. However it is important to decide what is best for you.

I don't know. I've had great success with my sleeve so far but I worry about regaining in the future. Some days I wish I had the DS to be sure that I won't ever get really fat again one day. On the other hand I've seen 2 ppl I know in the hospital from complications. The malabsorption is very real and so scare of being malnutritioned. Also DS have to plan their day carefully so they don't eat things that gives them gas or if they have to poop because it smells GAWD awful. I'm happy I had the sleeve and I'd do it over again, same surgery. However it is important to decide what is best for you.

You can sabotage any WLS even DS. The thing that really put me off is that there is a certain class of cardiac medication you can not take after the DS nor are you allowed baby asprin.