Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had surgery yet so I'm not currently having the problem I keep reading about,,losing your hair. I have a thyroid disease and have had to be on chemo treatments before due to an autoimmune disease..I really don't want to lose more hair. Is there anything that can prevent it from happening or something I can do now to prepare my body for the change?

I haven't had surgery yet so I'm not currently having the problem I keep reading about,,losing your hair. I have a thyroid disease and have had to be on chemo treatments before due to an autoimmune disease..I really don't want to lose more hair. Is there anything that can prevent it from happening or something I can do now to prepare my body for the change?

No sure cure. It grows back. Some people skip the Hair loss part (wish I knew why!) Take your Biotin and get in your Protein, this will help hair quality when it grows back. everyone is different, but I think I have lost about 30% of my hair, only a few people even noticed. Thin hair still looks better than fat body to me! Its worth the trade.tongue.gif

I am losing hair currently i am about 3 months out and curious as to how i can stop it... any suggestions on Vitamins or nutrition levels?

I wish.

Yeah, mine started at about 4 months and is still falling strong. I take Vitamins and minerals, so I'm not sure what's going on in there. But it's still SO worth it--almost 80 pounds gone, yeah, I'll trade that for some hair. I haven't had chemo and issues with it before, though, so I guess that's something you need to factor in.

I bought Nioxin from my salon and i am on day 3 any mu hair looks fuller! I have PCOS and started thinning around my crown and I am paranoid to lose more in a few months, but, they say Biotin helps! so thats what I am taking and I also heard make sure you get your Protein in, that will help to! Good luck!

No, not that I know of...I lost tons of hair, but it finally stopped. I cut it short, but I wear extensions (clip on) as well. It's all good since I get super bored with my hair anyway. And remember it grows back, and it's sooooo worth it all in the end.

Hey everyone,

Peacequeen, just as emmas mom said, Nioxin works great. I have always used it when my hair falls out due to stress and things like that. I haven't had my surgery yet either (hopefully in January) but I'm going to get a head start and start using the Shampoo and conditioner in November. Hopefully not as much hair will fall. I've used Nioxin for the past 5 years, at least two cycles a year (a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and it's vitamins). I strongly recommend it!!! :) I really hope it works!!

And I will have to agree with everyone else, hair extensions, weaves, etc... are waaaaaay better than 100 extra lbs!! LOL!! Our hair will grow back so no worries!! :)

Nothing will stop it. And, no amount of any of the remedies guarantee that it will help with regrowth. Nioxin Shampoo can be pretty drying, and I read mixed reviews so I never bothered with it. Protein consumption isn't going to save it either. I got in far less Protein, and wasn't even able to get in protein until around 6 weeks post-op because I couldn't tolerate shakes. However, I know some women who got in more protein from earlier out than I did, and they lost more hair for longer periods of time than I did.

Here's an interesting article on Hair loss in WLS patients:

http://www.obesityaction.org/magazine/ywm22/wlsandhairloss.php

It does grow back, but it took about 18 months for my hair to get back to it's pre-op fullness.

In 2007 I had Thyroid cancer- had both glands and 4 parathyroids removed- went through ablation and more radiation x1 year afterwards.. Have suffered with auto immune problems FOREVER and have lost a half of head of hair between the thyroidectomy and lapband in 2009- 3 months after lap band I started Biotin 1000mg twice a day for 6 months then once a day- I noticed a gradual difference- I used to clean the shower drain daily and now it is only a few times a month (of hair) My hair is not back to pre-cancer but it is back to fuller, healthier and I feel better about it too...

I know the anesthesia is one of the biggest issues that help cause it not to mention the vtamin deficiencies etc.... I can only speak for myself and my experience but I SWEAR by Biotin...

I know it will happen again with the sleeve in November but mentally I am better prepared for it as well as having the Biotin in me and on hand....

I've had an experience of serious Hair loss once before. A few years ago- I was taking HUMIRA Injections

for arthritis and then additionally I lost a close friend to cancer- very quickly- I was devastated-

I'm not sure which of the stressors was the actual thing that set my hair loss off but my doctor said

both could do it. My hair started falling out in clumps- When I took a shower the entire tub was sprinkled

with strands of my hair- When I brushed my hair (each time)- I had to clean the brush because it was so full of my hair.

I'd never experienced anything like it. I was really scared too which didn't help the situation.

For the first time in my life my scalp felt cold when the wind blew. I was absolutely positive I would

go completely bald. But I didn't. My hair did look much thinner especially in photos. I didn't have any

particular bald spots but it was very easy to see my scalp especially surrounding areas where I parted my hair.

I cut it a bit shorter and tried to style it different. I managed ok but didn't feel like I looked like myself

exactly until it started growing back. I went on a frantic search for Vitamins to help it grow back -

such as a daily Multivitamin and mineral with Iron and a supplement with Biotin. The product I got was called

Great Hair by Vicol- I got it from the health food store locally.

My doctor and hair stylist have both said that my hair probably began to grow back in on it's own and

not JUST because I began taking those supplements but I felt like I was doing something on my end

to encourage growth and hair health. When my hair began to grow back in- my scalp itched and when I put

my hands through my hair I could feel tiny spiky little strands of hair sticking up all over my scalp-

My hair grew back in over the next 6 - 12 months. It's not exactly as thick as it was before- but I had very

thick curly hair. It's also not as curly but I think that's because I'm getting older- I was 40 when it happened-

I'm 44 now and have been adding color to cover the gray the past few years, so that might have also contributed to a little change

in texture.

I don't know if it will happen to me again the exact same way that it happened before but I guess I can just keep reminding myself

that it really does grow back and I think the weight loss is a trade off that is worth it.

My hair is/was falling out in CHUNKS....did not start until I hit 50 lbs. I talked to doctor last week about it and he up'ed my Protein from 60-70 to 80. He also said make sure I was taking my Iron (which I was levels looked great). He said anestesia and surgery will both stress the body out and make hair fall out. It is a natural cycle and after being so many weeks months dormant the hair will start growing again. He said Biotin would not hurt (did not say it would help either lol) So I am taking 5000 of Biotin cheap that I bought at Walmart. I have noticed the hair on my legs is growing like crazy since I took the biotin.....so apparently it works all over your body. I have alot of hair on my head but I have to say the first time it came out in large clumps really freaked me out! (and my hubby too) I still have alot of hair and not sure anyone noticed but me.

The doctor said that all of the Protein you eat when you are trying to hit a number like 60......some of the protein passes through you and might not get absorbed....so you should go over a little to make sure you get it all in.

Been on the biotin two weeks....still falling out.....does not seem quite so much.....but then I have up ed the protein too......will let you guys know.

HUMMMM.....I DID NOT ADD A LINK TO WALLY WORLD THAT SHOWED UP ABOVE????????HOW DID THAT HAPPEN???WEIRD THINGS GOING ON HERE????

Thanks everyone, I thought the post had run dormant but more people are posting! Thanks for all the suggestions. I do know that in the end it will be worth it, I just wanted to know if there were any treatments or remedies to keep it from happening if at all possible. I don't want to lose it if i don't have to. I'll have to start on the Biotin, I could use that even now before surgery. AnneG, is it vitol or vicol?

I am almost 4 months out and am loosing tons of hair. Thankfully, I started out w/thick hair and my hairdresser says I now have a normal person's head of hair, she also noticed a lot of new growth :) I do have a question though- How long does the Hair loss stage last for most people?? Mine started about 3 wks ago and seems to be a little less each day. My hair is really long now and my hair lady suggested cutting about 6 inches off to let the new hair catch up. I have had some mild freak out moments about how much hair I see in the shower...but, going from a size 22 to a 12 is WORTH it!!

Best wishes to everyone!

Erika