Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone heard of STARR Treatment?

I was at my consult for the VSG and the dr said that was qualified for the STARR treatment. Has anyone heard of this or has anyone had it done? He said it was fairly new to him. It is supposed to be one incision in the belly button instead of 5 across the stomach. Supposed to heal faster and less painful. I was just researching and wanted personal feedback instead of statistics from them. I appreciate everything Sleevers! You all have helped me actually decide to go with the Sleeve instead of Band and I appreciate it. I hope that I can become one of the family through my process of completion and after. Thank you again!

Stephanie

Yes, although I think it was named something like Spider or something. It is just an updated surgical tool that uses one incision in the abdomen that all the tools enter - the cutter, the camera, the gas jet, the lights and manipulator, instead of 4 or 5 incisions they just use the one and the tools spread out from this central incision to inside the body - like the legs of a spider.

Like everything I would assume they charge more because it's new and "better".

Yes, although I think it was named something like Spider or something. It is just an updated surgical tool that uses one incision in the abdomen that all the tools enter - the cutter, the camera, the gas jet, the lights and manipulator, instead of 4 or 5 incisions they just use the one and the tools spread out from this central incision to inside the body - like the legs of a spider.

Like everything I would assume they charge more because it's new and "better".

Thank you so much for the reply...I was beginning to think no one knew about it. I am gonna get that and then I should be able to tell everyone about it afterwards. Hopefully it is better. cool.gif

Ahaa! I found it, it goes by a few names and one of them is SILs: http://www.covidien....port/pages.aspx

Better double check with your doc to make sure that's what they are meaning, maybe he just means you'll get high class "star" treatment B)

I'm jealous! My scars are small, but I'd prefer to just have one in my belly button! They are doing this procedure on some patients at the Kaiser South SF Bariatric Center. I've seen it called spider most often. Try searching the forums for spider and you might find some people who have had the procedure and can fill in more details for you.

Lynda

Thanks guys I will look more into it. My mother had a HYSTERECTOMY and they did the 5 incisions. She said that her scars are pretty much gone nothing to see. But she also wishes she could have had the option to have just one scar to worry about. laugh.gif

I had it. The results were good: I have a belly button, plus one tiny scar (about the size of the head of a pin) on my abdomin. No-one looking at me would think I had surgery, and I had no real problems with it. (I can't speak to if the pain was more or less, as I only know my experience.) I went back to work after a week.

If you get it, there is one thing to keep in mind, so you don't freak out.

Small cuts in the abominal muscle (the standard method) close quicker than the slightly larger incision hidden in the belly button. That means that you will probably have light bleeding from the belly button for about 2 weeks after surgery. My surgeon didn't spell that out for me, and I was panicing, because no-one ELSE on the board was bleeding a week and a half after surgery. It's normal with this method. At my two week check-up at the surgeon, the PA swabbed the area with a bit of silver nitrate, and it totally closed up, no problem. If you get this, stock up on some gauze bandages and tape before hand, and don't worry as long as it's not ***** or smelly.

the stars were supposed to be a word for pus - filled, I put a "sy" on the end without realizing that that made it a very different word ! *grin*

I'm jealous! My scars are small, but I'd prefer to just have one in my belly button! They are doing this procedure on some patients at the Kaiser South SF Bariatric Center. I've seen it called spider most often. Try searching the forums for spider and you might find some people who have had the procedure and can fill in more details for you.

Lynda

My surgeon asked me to wash my belly button when I take my shower, before the surgery. I'm having my surgery at Kaiser South Bay. I hope they are using this new procedure on me!!! :D

Also, I already have scars on my belly because I had my gall bladder removed about 15 yrs ago....I don't need any more. But if I have it done the other way, I won't be to disappointed! I'm just so thrilled that I am finally doing something about my weight!!

I am also having the Spider surgery in January. :) Awesome to have no scars...

I was at my consult for the VSG and the dr said that was qualified for the STARR treatment. Has anyone heard of this or has anyone had it done? He said it was fairly new to him. It is supposed to be one incision in the belly button instead of 5 across the stomach. Supposed to heal faster and less painful. I was just researching and wanted personal feedback instead of statistics from them. I appreciate everything Sleevers! You all have helped me actually decide to go with the Sleeve instead of Band and I appreciate it. I hope that I can become one of the family through my process of completion and after. Thank you again!

Stephanie

BTW,

Congrats on your decision to do the sleeve instead of the Lap Ban!

We were all told that they take out just as many as they put in and there is a high failure rate with them. When I first considered WLS, I wanted to get the Lap Ban, until I found out that you had to go in every 3 months for fills and then the failure rate changed my mind real quick!

I had it. But my doc refers to it as the SILS technique (Single Incision Laproscopic Surgery) and I have a tiny incision at my bra line and the big one at my belly button.