Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve done on 8/26/11...Struggling a bit...

Hi all. I had my sleeve done on Friday the 26th, four days ago. I was released from the hospital today. I was doing well keeping fluids down during my hospital stay. I got sick on the car ride home, and since am having an awful time drinking the required 30ml of Fluid every fifteen minutes. I can hardly keep Water down, let alone Protein Drink. I am worried that I am abnormal or that something is wrong. Others make it sound like it was no issue in keeping liquids down. I'm also feel extremely emotional. I am worried that I did the wrong thing. Please give me feedback on your experiences and any advice you may have.

Sweetie I am so sorry you are having a rough time. When I came home from the hospital I had those little cups that kind of look like shot glasses. I just did the best I could with drinking from them. I would stop when it hurt and continue drinking after I burped a couple of times. Just listen to your body your sleeve will tell you when you are full. And when you feel like drinking again then do so I didn't worry about a certain time line I just did what I felt was right drinking when my tummy had settled. Be careful not to get dehydrated. Some people had to go get IV fluids in the beginning not trying to scare you just help you be aware of possible complications. Please keep us posted I sure hope you feel better soon. Sending hugs your way...

Day 5 I woke up with serious buyer's remorse. I was certain I had screwed up royally and that there was no going back on this deal. Fortunately, that feeling passed relatively quickly in the weeks to come. This surgery and the letting go of the eating is an EXTREMELY emotional process. You just kind of have to accept it for what it is and ride it out. It really does get better; I promise. I remember the start of week 3 as seeming significantly better emotionally and the beginning of week 5 was way better physically (as the exhaustion starts to go away).

It sounds like you are dealing with some swelling that is making it difficult to drink. This early, your main focus should be hydration. Protein is important but if you are struggling to get down liquids then focus on Water, G2, broth, etc. for the these first few days. Also, play with the tempatures. Some people do really well with warm liquids others with really icy.

Most importantly, realize that what you are feeling and experiencing is completely normal. We've all been there.

Hugs!

Amanda

Hello Im 9 wks post-op today. And believe me, there was nooo way I was getting in all my H2O required at 4 days. I had so much gas. I would sip, burp, sip, burp and on and on...... I had those little 4oz plastic cups from the hospital and just tried my best. It gets so much better each day that goes by.. I PROMISE!! WALK EVEN THO U DONT FEEL LIKE IT... it really helps. Best of luck to you. I also thought i made a mistake that early out, but I would do it AGAIN LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

I had my surgery just 3 days before you. I only drank 6 oz of Water that first 24 hours I was home. It was aweful. I had pain accross my upper back, and of course in my guts where all the staples and probes went in. I called the Dr. on the second day home and told him these things. He said they pumped me so full of fluids with the IV's that I should be fine with the hydration. Told me to concentrate on Water, sipsipsipsip, because the Protein will come as the week pass. I couldn't even take in enough of a sip to swallow a pill! But everyday was a little better than the last. I went back to work on day 6 for a half day desk job. Today, I managed to stay all day. I'm not taking anything for pain now, and sipping water is easier. I think I'm in the exhaustion phase now. lol Hang in there, because it does get better. Oh, and here is something I experienced that I haven't read about....I WAS HUNGRY all the time for the first 5 days. Now, I am finding I don't feel one hunger pain, which is what I was waiting on...yah!

Take care, Shirley

Is it nausea that is making you throw up? My doc gave me a script for an anti-nausea medication, in a liquid form, and I took this as soon as I got home. They gave me an anti-nausea drug in the hospital via IV and I still threw up once when it had been too long between doses. If you don't have anything like that (mine is called Ondansetron, generic for Zofran) call your doc about it. I haven't thrown up anything since that brief episode in the hospital, so I don't think you have to suffer like that.

For me, the emotional aspect of the surgery was the most difficult. I had to grieve the loss of my oldest and dearest friend: food. The first couple weeks I was very melancholy. I was so scared I had ruined the quality of my life forever. I promise it doesn't feel this way forever and it will get easier. Surrender to the process and remember this was the best decision for you and it will enrich the quality of your life.

without a doubt every surgery I have had the anestia made me sick on the way home. ( I have a lot misc surgery)) I have tell the doc the movement of the car plus the anestia plus pain killer equal dizzy, open the door I am going to barf over and over on the ride home and after. Phenegren is my best post op and post Migraine friend. Ask for it by name because the new most expensive anti nausiea med is Zofran, does not do a damn thing for us my world is upsidedown and spinning from anestia and pain meds tummy!

Remember....sugar free popsicles are your FRIEND!!! I still use them to get my liquids in and I am a month out!:D

Do you know how many ounces of liquid each popsickle has? I threw away the box so I'm not sure. Have not had the surgery yet, but I am expecting the SF popsickles will be a staple.

Hang in there. My nurses after I was sleeved both told me that there will be times when you wonder "what the heck did I do to myself". They both were sleeved. I am 10 days out and, while I haven't really regretted what I've done, I have started to miss my best friend: food. That seems to be the worst for me right now. I know once I am able to chew again things will be different.

As for the ride home from the hospital, I was just fine. I have been able to drink and drink and drink with no problem. Haven't had gas pains. I was a conversion, as I had my lap band removed and got the sleeve on the 25th. The only problem I have had is the feeling of being hungry, and trying to stay in line with my liquid diet. This weekend was an emotional one...I am missing food.

Hang in there.

I completey understand. I was done on the 30th and today was day 5. Today was the first day I got out of the house and around other people which made me think...."wow, I really did this and I cant eat or drink what I want ever again" I started to feel hunger today which didny help. However, I got on here ad read other people's experiences. I think in it is normal to feel this way so we just have to hang in there! In my head I compare it to buying a new car. You are ecstatic when you leave the l

I completey understand. I was done on the 30th and today was day 5. Today was the first day I got out of the house and around other people which made me think...."wow, I really did this and I cant eat or drink what I want ever again" I started to feel hunger today which didny help. However, I got on here ad read other people's experiences. I think in it is normal to feel this way so we just have to hang in there! In my head I compare it to buying a new car. You are ecstatic when you leave the lot and the first few weeks. Then the newness wears off And you have this car with a payment that you are questioning. I'm going to way we will be feeling different in a few days! Good luck and hang in there!