Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking for your Family

I have a husband and 5 children that I cook for. How has cooking for your family changed since VSG? Do you find it easier or more difficult?

Well I am only 1.5 weeks out so right now it is more difficult. I am still on full liquids and I'm hungry! Its hard to cook all these yummy foods and not eat them. But I think once I move onto solids it will be much better. My husband started eating healthier last year (lost 60lbs!) So we eat pretty healthy as a family. Once I can chew my food and eat it, I look forward to trying new recipes and getting creative in the kitchen. Good luck and way to go..5 kids, your super mom lol :)

Hi,

I'm 3 months out, and for me, cooking is much easier......so much simplier........When i would make dinner in the past.....I always made way too much. now when I cook dinner, I cook a protien meat, such as fish or chicken, occasional beef, and a vegetable.........that's it! Even my husband has lost 15 lbs eating my healthier way..hehehe

Gone forever is the Pasta, rice, potatoes, and most fruits and the soda w/ dinners.

So, making dinners now is alot faster too.

good luck w/ ur surgery!

It will be fine. You can only eat what you can eat and you will learn that very quickly!

I was cooking steak for my husband when I was 2 weeks out, I couldn't eat it and I knew that if I did, I would be in the hospital! I was fine with it.

Now that I will be 4 months out on Monday, I pretty much eat anything, just smaller portions of it. You will do just fine.

Kelly :)

I cook 3 meals a day for 3 kids and my husband. I started cooking again at 1 week out. I really havent changed the way I cook. We dont have a lot of starches but I had PCOS pre op so I was careful then too. Portions have changed but we have ALWAYS stressed to the kids you should stop at full not when their plate is clean. Hope this helps. I do make them things I do not eat...but since surgery I have little to NO desire for them anyway so it isnt a problem.

I have 5 kids and a husband. It was only difficult while I was on the liquid diet. I'm 3 weeks post op now and cooking normally without batting an eye. I can often find something I can eat that they are. On nights that I can't, like last night when they had pizza, I always keep frozen fish and shrimp in the freezer and just pan fry some quickly. I always have cottage cheese on hand and often chicken of some sort. I don't mind eating chicken salad while they eat the pizza or Pasta.< /p>

Well ... I'm 2 weeks post op & I haven't had to cook yet. Yippeee!! I've never been a fan of it + my guy is better at it hands down (I have nooo problem admitting it lol) However I am looking forward to trying all the new recipes I've seen though.

In regards to pizza night I saw a recipe on someone named eggface's blog. You can have that so you're having pizza too. When I find the link I will post it. From what I remember it was made on a whole wheat tortilla shell with veggies & stuff on it.

It's really strange and probably psychological, but I'm finding I enjoy cooking for other people more than I ever have! I make huge pots of vegetable Soup and give much of it away. I have also been freezing berries, meatballs, meatloaves and other foods I prepare. I don't like processed foods anymore (I think this is what has caused my weight gain pre=surgery) so I'm enjoying making my own meals and freezing them.

It hasn't bothered me much. I fixed biscuits and gravy for my daughter and husband today (I feed them pretty healthy during the week but B&G is one of their guilty pleasures reserved for weekends). My head really wished I was joining them, but my belly didn't complain at all. :) I am LOVING my sleeve!