Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone used Dr. Joya, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico?

My mom's co-worker in Oregon just returned home from having surgery on July 4th with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta, MX. She was very pleased with her decision and is recovering well.

I used Dr. Joya in Januaury 7, 2006. I was extremely impressed with him and his staff. The hospital was emaculate and the staff there stay on top of things. You can see in my signature, my loss has been average. Would do it again in a heart beat. Besure and check out his website and support group, lots of really honest bandsters on there. WWW.DRJOYA.COM:)

Wow, that is really inexpensive. Why is that? I mean, yeah, it's in Mexico. But I know competitively speaking it's more like 8500 on average without airfare.

I had surgery with Dr. Joya (I am Tricia K's mom's co-worker) on July 4th.

My husband and I did alot of research on different doctors here and in Mexico. I was very comfortable with the decision to have Dr. Joya do the surgery. His staff that I had contact with, Gerald and Nathalie, were extremely helpful, we email but I do have phone numbers to call in case I need an answer quickly. The whole experience of having the surgery done was excellent. The two biggest challenges we faced were getting TP and supplies for the bathroom, and the limited English spoken by the nurses. But I do have to say they understand the important words, like pain medication, shower, IV, and walk.

Please feel free to contact me at jlm20639@yahoo.com if you have more questions, and check out Dr. Joya's site www.drjoya.com.

I had Dr Joya do me and my daughter lapband back in Aug 3 2004. We had very easy time getting down there and being picked up by Nathalie who speaks very good english. She is very helpful and stayed with my husband for awhile when we were both down for surgery. Dr Joya staff is very good at what they do. They have more experiance than any US doctor and if I had to do it again I would us him.

I used Dr. Joya also ..... love him......Pelo I tried to find that info when I was researching and they were posts from 2003!!!!! And no one had the real info....I went to Joya and would go again in a hot minute he has a great team and works out of a clean and real hospital not a clinic..........I went because my primary care had gone to him we have the same insurance that does not cover lap band.........and she went with me it was great all the way

If it is Dr. Joya he has a specific plan.....Gerald his man who handles this stuff would have given you the outline way before a week to go............If it is someone other than DR Joya they would give you their instructions....each Dr. has different pre op instructions....Some .... not all .......would tell you to go on a 2 week liquid diet...you need to ask your specific dr

Dr. Joya has the diet plan for pre-op on his support group site, under files. Gerald generally responds to emailed questions quickly. There is a lot of good info on the support group site, so check it out.

Before I left for PVR, I cleaned my house (I knew I would not feel like doing it when I came home), I bought broth, apple and white grape juice, sugar free jell-o, crystal light, and flavored Water so when I got home I would not have to go shopping.

I packed very light and had a suit case with wheels. My husband and son went to PVR and they packed light too. Dr. Joya gives you some pain medicine and antibiotics. I took gas-x strips (which I didn't use), and liquid adult strenght Tylenol (some people had their regular Doctor prescibe pain medicine, but the Tylenol worked great for me). Before you check into the hotel after surgery, Natalie will take you to the store to get some things to drink at the hotel. The broth at the Krystal is excellent-but you usually have to ask to get just broth or otherwise you also get chicken and rice in the broth.

Take lose clothes and slide on shoes for the day after surgery, I had to have my husband tie my shoes becuse I couldn't bend over to do it. A sports bra is also a very good idea. I also took some band-aides, gauze pad and paper tape to cover the incision sites when I was out and about, we stayed a few extra days after surgery and I was very glad we did-it made the flight home easier. I also took my own pillow - because I sleep better when I have it.

Hope this helps.

Janet :)

Yes I did and truthfully, and honestly he about killed me. Tools were left inside of me. I had a leakage when I was there, and he acted like it was not a big deal but it was I was septic. I got on my plane to go back to the United States three days later, which takes longer than that for you to go in complete septic. When I got the United States, I instantly was transferred by ambulance from airport. Five surgeries later to save my life. Each one not expecting to live. Now I do not have a stomach at all and only half of my intestines and cannot get enough Protein and because of that I have had a heart attacks degenerative bone disease and multiple other elements. Whatever you do, do not go to this guy. I would not say this if it was not true. Nothing can change what happened to me but at least I can let other people know not to live the life I am living. This guy should be imprisoned and never let go. And the problem is there’s nothing you can do about it because it’s a different country.