Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$51,746 Forest Park Hospital Bill for 2 nights stay and NO COMPLICATIONS

I am uninsured. I paid out of pocket at the same facility $12,500. I am in total agreement with your post. THIS is what is wrong with our system. I get angry when I think about it. And another thing...since I was a self-pay, the only pre-op test I was required to have was a stress test which cost me $300. I had no problems paying because I sure didn't want to have issues with my heart and risk having surgery. But on the other hand, why did EVERY person I met and talked to who had insurance have to have scopes, sleep studies, etc....was it just to bleed more money out of the insurance companies? There is a HUGE difference in $12,500 and $83,000, I'm just saying!!!!

But I will say, I was extremely happy with the care I received and with my surgeon...if that helps...lol

I had a great experience at Forest Park - it was not like being in the hospital. I had a personal nurse for each shift - it was more like the Hilton of healthcare. I thought it was only for cash pay patients. Whoever said 'what is billed and what is paid are two different things' is totally correct. I personally hate insurance companies, I don't think we should have to fight to have them cover something that should be covered. It's as though they make the rules as they go. A colonoscopy is a 'screening', covered at 100% UNLESS there is a polyp, then it becomes a 'procedure'. BS - you go in with a screening covered at 100% and come out, without giving consent, owing 1000 dollars!!! Talk about a racket! You get a discount, a large one, if the physicians don't have to **** with an ins. company! I don't blame them, they tack on a PITA fee. (pain in the ass) I'd go back to Forest Park in a heartbeat. Sadly I will compare all others to them....top notch!

Actually, many if not all, insurance companies REQUIRE many of the tests you listed - including a psyc evaluation, many have you diet for 6 months and so on. It is THEM who makes it so hard for someone to have surgery. Most patients that are covered have to jump through hoops before they are actually wheeled into the operating room.

I am uninsured. I paid out of pocket at the same facility $12,500. I am in total agreement with your post. THIS is what is wrong with our system. I get angry when I think about it. And another thing...since I was a self-pay, the only pre-op test I was required to have was a stress test which cost me $300. I had no problems paying because I sure didn't want to have issues with my heart and risk having surgery. But on the other hand, why did EVERY person I met and talked to who had insurance have to have scopes, sleep studies, etc....was it just to bleed more money out of the insurance companies? There is a HUGE difference in $12,500 and $83,000, I'm just saying!!!!

But I will say, I was extremely happy with the care I received and with my surgeon...if that helps...lol

Glad you had a good experience at Forest Park. I had quite the opposite, as several others I know who have gone there. They don't respond to the call buttons, the nurses don't follow OSHA care practices in their practices, and VERY lacking in their knowledge of what people who have had WLS needs really are. I had asked for a trapeze bar because I was having a tough time getting in and out of bed and the nurse says, just reach up and pull yourself up. I'm like WTF.... are you an idiot? The in-house docs don't read the charts before they walk in the room to cover for your surgeon.... They are not equipped (currently) to handle any real life emergency situations. They would have to try to stabilize you and transport you to an ACTUAL hospital for further care. I could go on and on....

You couldn't pay me enough money to go back there.

I had a great experience at Forest Park - it was not like being in the hospital. I had a personal nurse for each shift - it was more like the Hilton of healthcare. I thought it was only for cash pay patients. Whoever said 'what is billed and what is paid are two different things' is totally correct. I personally hate insurance companies, I don't think we should have to fight to have them cover something that should be covered. It's as though they make the rules as they go. A colonoscopy is a 'screening', covered at 100% UNLESS there is a polyp, then it becomes a 'procedure'. BS - you go in with a screening covered at 100% and come out, without giving consent, owing 1000 dollars!!! Talk about a racket! You get a discount, a large one, if the physicians don't have to **** with an ins. company! I don't blame them, they tack on a PITA fee. (pain in the ass) I'd go back to Forest Park in a heartbeat. Sadly I will compare all others to them....top notch!

First, thank GOD I had insurance and was pre-approved, but I am appauled at what they charged. Forest Park actually sent a bill to Aetna for more than $83,000 and then it was reduced to the contract rate. They have billed on top of that several thousand more for things like the anesthesia, blood work, and some other charges I can't tell what they were for.

What bewilders me is I know someone who had the EXACT same procedure, same day, same length of stay, no complications, same location and was a self-pay. She paid around $11,000 which INCLUDED the surgeon's fee. Yes, I know self-payers get a discount- as they should but the disparity between the two actually angers me because the cost of insurance keeps going up. The hospitals and doctors bill for sometimes double or triple what they KNOW they are contracted to be paid so they can write it off on their taxes. I sure wish I could do something like that on my taxes. Yeah, I didn't choose that profession, but nonetheless.

Part of me wonders how much my doc gets of that hospital bill since he is one of the owners of that Dr. owned facility. Sure, it's no skin off my nose in theory, but it's the bigger picture that bothers me I guess.

The only thing I ca n say it is a game! IN every claim, they play the game! Figure it out? Not yet! Go with it as long as it paid? YES!