Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$51,746 Forest Park Hospital Bill for 2 nights stay and NO COMPLICATIONS

First, thank GOD I had insurance and was pre-approved, but I am appauled at what they charged. Forest Park actually sent a bill to Aetna for more than $83,000 and then it was reduced to the contract rate. They have billed on top of that several thousand more for things like the anesthesia, blood work, and some other charges I can't tell what they were for.

What bewilders me is I know someone who had the EXACT same procedure, same day, same length of stay, no complications, same location and was a self-pay. She paid around $11,000 which INCLUDED the surgeon's fee. Yes, I know self-payers get a discount- as they should but the disparity between the two actually angers me because the cost of insurance keeps going up. The hospitals and doctors bill for sometimes double or triple what they KNOW they are contracted to be paid so they can write it off on their taxes. I sure wish I could do something like that on my taxes. Yeah, I didn't choose that profession, but nonetheless.

Part of me wonders how much my doc gets of that hospital bill since he is one of the owners of that Dr. owned facility. Sure, it's no skin off my nose in theory, but it's the bigger picture that bothers me I guess.

It's almost a racket how much they charge for the "going" rate. I had an MRI a couple years ago and the base rate was $3000, but the contract rate for my insurance was only $300. Really? Why not just charge everyone that? You know you're not getting $3000 out of someone who has no insurance! Why bother charging that much???

One night stay in the hospital was $40k JUST for the room (not including ANYTHING else). I coudn't believe it. The contract rate for insurance was only $4000. And I think I ended up paying $1000 of that.

Yikes. My surgery was paid out of pocket, and it came out to $8,750 (all expenses included except airfare). Then again, I went to Mexico...

I had chosen my doctor because he was referred by many people and he was also in networ with my insurance. I even picked the hospital that was in network and where my surgeon was also part of network. Stayed 2 nights, and thebilled my insuranve 44,800. And billed me 3000 for anasthesia. I think the anasthesia should covered in network since that's why I chose the surgeon team and hospital. I disagreed with the bill and they finally said it would be covered. That is ridulously to me! Sorry my typing is all wrong, I'm super tired , and typing on a blackberry

I had an upper GI in Mexical at the same hospital Dr. Aceves did my sleeve. I went there for my face lift in May. I was right at 2 years post op and I wanted to know how my sleeve looked after a couple of years. Dr. Campos could tell me that my sleeve holds 3-4 oz of food. The cost for that was $30.

If I had done that here locally, it would have been hundreds of dollars. I never even considered having it done here because of the cost.

First, thank GOD I had insurance and was pre-approved, but I am appauled at what they charged. Forest Park actually sent a bill to Aetna for more than $83,000 and then it was reduced to the contract rate. They have billed on top of that several thousand more for things like the anesthesia, blood work, and some other charges I can't tell what they were for.

What bewilders me is I know someone who had the EXACT same procedure, same day, same length of stay, no complications, same location and was a self-pay. She paid around $11,000 which INCLUDED the surgeon's fee. Yes, I know self-payers get a discount- as they should but the disparity between the two actually angers me because the cost of insurance keeps going up. The hospitals and doctors bill for sometimes double or triple what they KNOW they are contracted to be paid so they can write it off on their taxes. I sure wish I could do something like that on my taxes. Yeah, I didn't choose that profession, but nonetheless.

Part of me wonders how much my doc gets of that hospital bill since he is one of the owners of that Dr. owned facility. Sure, it's no skin off my nose in theory, but it's the bigger picture that bothers me I guess.

That is what is wrong with our country. The insurance companies do have contracts with the hospitals on how much they will pay but that is ridiculous. That is why healthcare and insurance is so high. They can call it what they want but it is FRAUD. I am glad you had your surgery, how are you doing?

I am doing well thanks, although I would NOT go back to Forest Park for surgery. It is a new facility, about 2 or 3 years old, but they do not follow standard medical care practices, their nursing staff in post-op are poor and their in-house Dr.'s don't even take the time to read your chart before coming to your room. The in-house Dr.'s are there to "cover" for your regular Dr. during your stay. The in-house doc came into my room and starts talking to me like I had the DS, thinking she was going to be the one to discharge me that day. I was furious that she couldn't take 30 seconds to read my chart. My surgeon didn't bother to come and see me until TWO DAYS after my surgery. Now, I did have surgery late in the day, but I did expect him to come visit me the next day, but he had overbooked his office visits and according to his office staff he just didn't have time.

Fortunately, I had no complications, but I was by myself out of state and it was a bit nerve wracking to have all these concerning things happening with nobody communicating what was going on, or just wrong information. I told my surgeon's office that I will not be coming back for any post-op visits as this surgeon doesn't believe there is any reason to "see" you once you are done w/your surgery. Talk about "Sleeve'm and Leave'em"......

That is what is wrong with our country. The insurance companies do have contracts with the hospitals on how much they will pay but that is ridiculous. That is why healthcare and insurance is so high. They can call it what they want but it is FRAUD. I am glad you had your surgery, how are you doing?

I checked our insurance and the only thing that was charged from my hospital was a bill for $6,639. I was expecting it to be A LOT higher than that.

Keep watching because I had my surgery almost 2 months ago and most of these charges with the exception of my surgeon's fee just showed up this past week. Aetna gives them 120 days to submit charges. If that's all that shows up, that's great though!

I checked our insurance and the only thing that was charged from my hospital was a bill for $6,639. I was expecting it to be A LOT higher than that.

I had my surgery at Texas Health/Presby and possibly by the same surgeon. I have UHC and they wouldn't cover Forest Park. But after all the bills have come in, they charged somewhere in the upper amount of $40,000+. My nutritionalist works both at Presby and Forest Park. She said that they are actually adding another wing to Forest Park. And get this, the facility is only around 2-3 years old and they are getting ready to do an update on all the already existing rooms. What? :blink: Then she said that they are adding an ICU but are not and will not be equiped for a true ICU. That they were doing it so that when a patient complains they are feeling a bit off, they can send the patient to ICU to be watched. We asked her why they would do that. She said because the insurance companies will pay more if the patient has to be put into ICU vs. a room where a patient may get a little more attention. It's all about the money! She even said that it made no sense, EXCEPT to make money. So, sounds like they are trying to pay for their new building, make lots of money, and have the tax write off.

It does make you burn inside just thinking about it. We're the ones that suffer with our insurance cost or lack there of because it's not affordable. :angry:

Yep, I completely agree. All along the whole process everyone kept referring to Forest Park as a hospital and you can imagine when I got there realizing it was no more than a brand new office building with rooms equipped to do surgery- needless to say I became FREAKED OUT. I asked one of the nurses the day before I had surgery when I was there for some pre-op bloodwork what would happen if someone had a true emergency. She pointed to this mobile cardiac unit on wheels and said we can handle emergencies. I was like OMG, what have I gotten myself into. But, what was I to do. I had traveled several hundred miles to do this, gone through all the insurance hoops, had arranged time off work.... When I was laying in the room waiting for my turn, I had a bit of a meltdown hoping I hadn't made a big mistake.

The pictures on their website are VERY misleading in my opinion.

I had my surgery at Texas Health/Presby and possibly by the same surgeon. I have UHC and they wouldn't cover Forest Park. But after all the bills have come in, they charged somewhere in the upper amount of $40,000+. My nutritionalist works both at Presby and Forest Park. She said that they are actually adding another wing to Forest Park. And get this, the facility is only around 2-3 years old and they are getting ready to do an update on all the already existing rooms. What? :blink: Then she said that they are adding an ICU but are not and will not be equiped for a true ICU. That they were doing it so that when a patient complains they are feeling a bit off, they can send the patient to ICU to be watched. We asked her why they would do that. She said because the insurance companies will pay more if the patient has to be put into ICU vs. a room where a patient may get a little more attention. It's all about the money! She even said that it made no sense, EXCEPT to make money. So, sounds like they are trying to pay for their new building, make lots of money, and have the tax write off.

It does make you burn inside just thinking about it. We're the ones that suffer with our insurance cost or lack there of because it's not affordable. :angry:

My experience with the staff at Forest Park was completely different than yours. I was extremely pleased with my level of care and the staff I dealt with. My opinion of the facilities is also positive - and I wouldn't describe it in the sames way you did. Sorry you didn't like the experience you had. I had a choice to either have surgery at Forest Park or at Baylor Plano - and I chose Forest Park. (closer to my house - easier on my husband) I too think the medical / insurance situation in this country is totalled screwed up. I am thankful that my employer provides me insurance that covered my surgery.

I wasn't given a choice, they just booked me. Being out of state, I'm not sure I would have known how to choose one place over the other. I just think its important for people to speak up when there are issues. I did google Forest Park, but could find nothing about the place except for references to the hospital being built, the developers and Doctors being owners, etc. I'm glad you had a good experience, but I also know others who had a similar experience as me. Many will not speak up though which is too bad.

My experience with the staff at Forest Park was completely different than yours. I was extremely pleased with my level of care and the staff I dealt with. My opinion of the facilities is also positive - and I wouldn't describe it in the sames way you did. Sorry you didn't like the experience you had. I had a choice to either have surgery at Forest Park or at Baylor Plano - and I chose Forest Park. (closer to my house - easier on my husband) I too think the medical / insurance situation in this country is totalled screwed up. I am thankful that my employer provides me insurance that covered my surgery.

A good part of the high book rates for these medical bills are courtesy of you favorite federal government. Nobody pays those rates (though they do try to charge them to uninsured emergency patients...) but Uncle does have some reimbursements worked into their system that will pay a small fraction of the "written off" discount back to the hospitals - the higher the "discount" (book rate) the higher the gov kickback they get.

Keep watching because I had my surgery almost 2 months ago and most of these charges with the exception of my surgeon's fee just showed up this past week. Aetna gives them 120 days to submit charges. If that's all that shows up, that's great though!

Aetna is real slow about paying the surgeons for some reason - I'm over three months out and they still haven't paid the surgeon's fee, though they have paid everyone else.