Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

real world examples

Can someone give me some real world examples of how much food your new sleeved stomach can hold. I hear the ounces a lot but I am a visual person. Like can you eat a whole dunkin donuts donut? A whole Mcdonalds size cheeseburger? Not that you would eat these foods just examples that we all know.

It depends on how far out from surgery you're wondering about. At 2 years out, I can eat 2 donuts without issue!

As for McDonalds hamburgers, I can eat 1 of the regular, value dollar burgers without the top bun, if and only if I eat it super slow. usually I get in only about 3/4 of it before I decide it's just not worth it.

I shared this a couple of weeks ago:

282538_10150318899201418_744801417_9632440_870732_n.jpg

I get a lot of messages from people just getting started, or just getting to normal food, and I remember being there. I remember never believing that I would be able to eat something decent. Well, here's a little nugget for everyone, and for me, seeing what others were eating really helped me wrap my head around all of it.

Everyone wants to know what eating postop equals or they need visuals for reference. Tiff's lunch for today. 5 tortilla chips with salsa, 1fajita w/ 2tbsp of refried Beans,1tbsp sour cream, 4 small strips of grilled chicken breast meat & lots of sauteed onions!!!

I tear off the majority of the tortilla. 2 years out, I could technically fit more in if I wanted or really ate super slow, but this is my standard lunch portion size. I'm completely satisfied and really love the restriction. Pretty mushy meal when all factors are considered, but here's proof life post vsg is very doable and normal food is possible!

I can eat half of an 8oz sirloin steak from Logan's cooked medium with steak sauce. If I mix some of the sides, mushy food with it, and extend my meal a little more than 20-30 minutes I can fit in a few more bites.

I am almost six months out (next Monday). Here are some of my examples:

one 4 oz. carton of Activia yogurt for Breakfast

or 1/3 c. cottage cheese with 1/2 c of canned fruit (peaches, pears, etc)

or 1 2.5 oz package of tuna, mixed with 2T pickle relish and 2T lite mayo

or 1/2 to 2/3 of a 3 oz package of smoked salmon

or half a serving of roast beef from Grandy's (no bread) with 1/4 c. green Beans

or 1/3 to 1/2 a serving of meat loaf from Cracker Barrel wtih a few veggies (baby carrots, green beans)

or almost a whole hamburger patty from Sonic (save the last couple of bites for the dog)

or 1/2 of a chicken breast wtih a few spears of asparagus.

or 7-10 steamed shrimp with the tails on (~25 to the pound) with cocktail sauce

or 1/3 - 1/2 of an order of Pei Wei Mongolian beef with veggies (no rice)

Hope this helps.

I'm 2 months and 2 weeks out. I just discovered that a Taco Bell Crunchy Fresco Taco (beef) is a perfect fit. Not too much, not too little. I better not start making these a habit! :unsure:

Thanks so much guys! Tiffykins thanks for the pic. I have always been a volume eater so im curious about the prospect of being full on so little. These examples are really helping me to put things in perspective.

I was 14 weeks out on Monday and i pretty much eat (ONE) of the following at one time:

1 scrambled egg-3/4 of egg if I put cheese on it.

1 1/2 boiled eggs

2-21/2 oz chicken, steak, porkchop, tri-tip, salmon, tuna

2 Foster Farms meatballs

2 slices Foster Farms lunchmeat w/ laughing cow cheese wedge spread on it rolled up

1 medium banana

small apple

Pure Protein bar

1-1 1/2 oz nuts or cheese

I measure EVERYTHING and do not eat more than 2 1/2 oz of meat at a time. I usually can not finish it anyway. I also eat my Protein first and then might have a bite or two of a veggie or fruit if I have room. No more than 1/2 c. of food at a time.

Kelly

I was always a VOLUME eater too and TRUST me when I tell you that you will be BLOWN away by how little you will actaully be able to eat!!

I can't get over getting full on just a few bites. It is GREAT!!

Kelly :D

Thanks so much guys! Tiffykins thanks for the pic. I have always been a volume eater so im curious about the prospect of being full on so little. These examples are really helping me to put things in perspective.

Great topic - I've been wondering about this too. I will be visiting family and friends in Australia in December and haven't told anyone about the surgery. It will be obvious I'm not eating a lot but it sounds like it shouldn't be super-noticeable...