Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experience with flying home after WLS

:) Having surgery 9/1 a little apprehensive about flying home after, that will be day 4 after surgery. Any tips for the trip home?

I had my surgery on Friday and flew home Monday. 2.5 hour flight. No problems. I took a dose of pain meds before I got to the airport just to be sure. Just make sure you buy a bottle of Water once you get past security. Remember you can't take it through security. Also, if you have the liquid loritab, you must declare it as soon as you drop your carry-ons for the scan.

Pack light so that you can lift your bag into the overhead bin or stuff it under the seat in front of you. Some people ask for a wheelchair ride to the gate and pickup at their destination but I felt fine, just tired, and San Diego is a small airport so walking is no big deal. Drink Water on the plane, get an aisle seat and walk to the bathroom and back every half hour. I also took the sublingual pain meds before flying but I probably didn't need them. You'll do fine!

I had my surgery on a Friday and flew home on Tuesday. We flew from San Diego to Atlanta with a layover in Dallas, so we spent most of our day in airplanes. I had no problems at all. My husband was with me so I didn't have to worry about carrying the bag, but the little I did have to was not a problem. I didn't take any precautionary pain meds before the flight and everything was fine. Just a bit sore in the tummy area, but that's to be expected. Walking thru the airports was not a problem either, and the Atlanta airport is big.

A day before your flight call your airline and ask for a wheelchair and bulkhead seats. The wheelchair thing will get you to board first and if you do need a wheelchair (unlikely) you can get one. Also you will get a golf cart like thing to get you around the airport. Bulkhead seats are so roomy. Just tell them you had surgery and they will be accommodating. My flight home was MUCH better than my flight there. I drank apple juice on the flight and brought some of the spice packets from ramen noodles to mix with hot Water on the plane and drink.

Ah, yes, I forgot ... my Dr told me to walk every half an hour to avoid blood clots, so I just strolled up and down the aisles. Be sure to tell the flight attendants and be sure to time it around the drink carts.

I waited a week before flying home, but I am a little older than most. I wanted to give myself every chance I could. I think that people rush this thing: get there, get it done, get home and on with life. I advise slowing the process down if you can. Spend a couple of days in a nice hotel - if you afford it: I got to stay with a local Mexicali family who provided an air conditioned room with TV and homemade chicken broth for only fifty bucks a night! This made me feel not only cared for but secure in the knowledge that my doctor, and the hospital, were only a mile away. . Also, I got mild tranquilizers (Lorazepam 1mg) from my PCP and then more in Mexico to help me sleep along with the pain meds. Really, really helped with the initial discomfort. ALSO, I took the advice of a poster who said definitely get wheelchair assistance on your flight back. Wonderful, wonderful advice. I didn't have to shuffle along security lines and boarding lines. It makes you a little self conscious, but just groan and slouch from time to time if you need to. Email me if you want more on my experience.

:) Having surgery 9/1 a little apprehensive about flying home after, that will be day 4 after surgery. Any tips for the trip home?

I had a four hour flight from San Diego to Chicago, then another hour long flight from Chicago to Des Moines then an hour long drive to get home, when I returned from my surgery. My hubbie was with me, and he helped with the bags, but I was so tired! The walk between terminals in Chicago just about did me in. I didn't need to take my pain medication till I fell getting off my plane in Chicago. I caught my foot and stumbled and fell de-boarding the plane! I hurt then and was SO scared. Then I had this huge long walk from the end of one terminal to the end of another terminal. After walking about 20 minutes, I finally stopped at a boarding gate and asked it I could get a wheel chair. It was SO far from the end of one terminal to the end of another terminal, and I just couldn't do it, especially after the fall. So, I think it is a great idea to pre-arrange for a wheel chair. (Chicago O'Hare is an old airport, with no moving sidewalks or trams, it is all hoofing it baby!)

We did stay over in San Diego for two days after the surgery. My hubbie was concered about me flying home, and had so many concerns about surgical complications, that he wanted me to be close to my surgeon if needed for the first couple of days.

Because my hubbie is a big guy, (and so was I at the time) we got two aisle seats, across from each other, so that we weren't crowded on the return flight. On a typical flight, I would sit in the middle seat, he would sit either on the aisle or window seat, and depending who was the third person in our row, I was crowded with both him and the person on my other side "leaning" over into my seat area, so I am typically crowded when we fly. I told him I didn't want to do that when I flew home from the surgery. So we sat across the aisle from each other and were very comfortable. Now, however, I am NEVER going to be crowded again, since I am a new, smaller self!!! Happy Dance!!!