Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks out and Suddenly nauseous - CANT STAND LIQUIDS!

Hey everyone, I was sleeved on july 26 . For the first week I was feeling great !! Had no restriction , was drinking LOTS of clear fluids and dropped 10 pounds . Week 2 full liquids started well trying to keep my Protein intake up with shakes was ok smoothies ect . I am now on week 3 still full liquids and I CANT STAND IT ANYMORE ! I cant keep drinking 2 litres (64 ounces) a day - my shakes make me nauseous so i stop drinking them . I havnt lost a pound in the past week - im dehydrated and feel like crap but i just CANT stand the feeling of liquids in my mouth anymore!

Anyone Else go through this ? How did you cope ? How are you getting your Protein in ? Im worried about my health and I am FORCING myself to drink as much Water as I can but even the thought of Soup or Protein Shakes make me gag , I cant start soft foods until next friday so im really limited on my options . I am considering going to the hospital and getting a IV to Rehydrate myself although i dont know if its that bad yet .

Thanks for reading and your responces in advance !

I sure hope that you've called your surgeon and let him know what's going on! Do you think that it is mental? This is not normal obviously and your surgeon needs to know about this. Good luck to you!

hey holly , I beleive this is mental because when i force myself to take in liquids I dont feel restriction Or pain , everything on the sleeve front feel great . Its just forcing myself to swallow the liquids in my mouth . UGH! I Dont know if you have ever had to try to force yourself to swallow something nasty while your body is rebelling and telling you NOOOOO ITS DISGUSTING - thats pretty much how i feel everytime something liquid enters my mouth . I think its the consistency thing .

I went through that also. fruit Bars frozen popsicles were my saving grace. I would go through nearly a box a day some days. I got the long skinny ones with no sugar added . Between those and the egg drop Soup from the chinese restaurant (strained out onions- kept in egg pieces) I managed to stay hydrated. Good luck. I promise it gets better.

I went through that also. fruit Bars frozen popsicles were my saving grace. I would go through nearly a box a day some days. I got the long skinny ones with no sugar added . Between those and the egg drop Soup from the chinese restaurant (strained out onions- kept in egg pieces) I managed to stay hydrated. Good luck. I promise it gets better.

Ok i will have to try it out ! did you stall this early on as well? OH AND i feel nauseous just smelling food :P . what is wrong with me !

Most people stall around 3 weeks, just do a search of 3 week stall and you will be amazed at how many posts there are. Also dehydration can make you feel extremely nauseous so you might need to get rehydrated by iv, many people deal with that too. Personally I don't think you need to worry so much about the Protein Shakes, get in what you can, try adding Protein to Jello or pudding too to get some additional protein in but your body will be fine. I have not been able to tolerate Protein Drinks since surgery and I did liquids for 2 weeks pre-op and about 7 weeks post op due to complications yet my labs at 3 months were fine. The MOST important thing is staying hydrated. Try different temps of Water, some deal better with hot, some with cold, some with room temp, also many people use CrystalLite (sp?) to change it up some.

Ditto "dehydration can make you feel extremely nauseous". Try warm herbal tea.. peppermint or camomile worked great for me. Don't worry too much about the Protein yet, get that Water in first.

I feel your pain! I had my surgery July 20th and I was in tears today because I just can't stand puree foods! I almost hate dinner time because I just can't find anything to satisfy me. Basically, the only things that have been going down for me is Adkins Protein drinks and tomatoe Soup. It' just driving me insane. I really haven't been drinking as much as I should I know. Right now I feel like my esophogus is actually hurting. I feel if I lie down it gets worse. I took a Gas X and it's still bothering me. I just feel like I can't wait for this part of the recovery ends very soon. Any ideas of what I can eat that goes down well for meals? Good luck to you and I hope we can survive this part of our recovery.

Hey everyone, I was sleeved on july 26 . For the first week I was feeling great !! Had no restriction , was drinking LOTS of clear fluids and dropped 10 pounds . Week 2 full liquids started well trying to keep my Protein intake up with shakes was ok smoothies ect . I am now on week 3 still full liquids and I CANT STAND IT ANYMORE ! I cant keep drinking 2 litres (64 ounces) a day - my shakes make me nauseous so i stop drinking them . I havnt lost a pound in the past week - im dehydrated and feel like crap but i just CANT stand the feeling of liquids in my mouth anymore!

Anyone Else go through this ? How did you cope ? How are you getting your protein in ? Im worried about my health and I am FORCING myself to drink as much Water as I can but even the thought of soup or Protein Shakes make me gag , I cant start soft foods until next friday so im really limited on my options . I am considering going to the hospital and getting a IV to Rehydrate myself although i dont know if its that bad yet .

Thanks for reading and your responces in advance !

There are ALOT of us who did Protein before surgery fine but after can't stomach it. I am getting by using the Unjury chicken broth a couple times a day and some Protein Bars (for when I am working or in a pinch). Popsickles and snowballs made with sugar free liquids went down better at first for me. Don't stress.....you don't HAVE to drink the shakes there are other options. Everyday gets better stick in there!