Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day2 PreOp Not going well

So my surgery is August 15 at the Virginia Hospital Center, and I am required to do a 1 week preop diet of only liquids and Protein shakes all low cal. I have been doing so bad. Yesterday I was doing ok up until lunch and had a few crunchy pretzels. Then i forgot my kids had a party to go too and i had like 3 hotdogs and potatoe salad and some Cookies. :( Now today, I have a craving for chocolate. I think its PMS time too, but i would hate to mess myself up in the end. Anybody else go through the same thing and come out ok?

I pretty much stuck to the plan though it was very hard in the begining. The first 3 days were hell but after that my body just kinda got used to it. Just remember that the purpose of this pre op diet is to shrink ur liver. I think ur liver just lays on top of what the doc needs to get to and this helps keep u safe from injury and complications. Although I had friends that had their surgery in mexico and they could eat whatever up until the night before. I think I would rather be safe than sorry.

ive been on the pre op diet for a week now, and got 1 more week to go, my surgery is the 16th. try to stick with it, you can do it. buy some sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, and fudge pops. they help get you through the really tough spots. 10 cals for the Jello, 20 for the fudge pops, and 15 for the popsicles! good luck!

My surgery is on the 15th also. My surgeon didn't require the pre-op liquid diet. I have to drink magnesium citrate on Saturday and then I"m on Clear Liquids until Monday. I've read that it is better for your liver if you are on the pre-op diet so don't beat yourself up. Just get back on your diet and keep looking forward to Monday. You can do this!!! We can both do this! Hang in there!

yeah to the 15th and 16th...its almost here!!! I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it, I'm about to gain control, and I know I like it!!!!!!

I kicked that liquid diets butt today! Feeling totally terrific!!!

If your liver is still enlarged at the time of surgery it makes it MUCH riskier. The entire purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink it so its easier to retract during surgery (they have to pull it back because the stomach is under the liver). A larger fatty liver is much harder to pull back safely and avoid nicking it or your spleen.

Keep these things in mind when you feel like cheating.....you are upping your chances for complications.

@Doggz109 I know, i called my doctors assistant yesterday to get a pep talk. Because I have cheated everyday. This isn't going well and i'm so disappointed in myself. I think i'm just eating out of stress and knowing i can't eat again for a while. :(

i had my pre op yesterday and the doc said i could have one egg and one string cheese a day now! he was thrilled because since may 22nd (the last time I saw him) i lost 27.5 lbs. i was thrilled too :)

Guest Rosalind

I was told in a support group meeting that if you haven't followed the preop diet and made your liver smaller, the doctor will close you up with no surgery! I know you don't want that. This is not a laughing matter. At this stage, no one should have to give you "pep talks"! Your mind should be made up.

Stick to your diet.

Kutie, try not to beat yourself up. There are doctors that do not require a preop diet at all. I'm not saying do not follow your doctors order but we are OBESE for a reason..diets are HARD! I am also struggling w my preop diet. If you need any support feel free to message me to vent. Good luck!