Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going to see Dr. Aceves on the 16th. I keep hearing that people took Tylenol for pain after their surgery (maybe when they got home?). When I leave the hospital, will I be able to handle swallowing a pill or should I try to get the liquid tylenol?

Also, where did you find the GasX strips? I was in Target today and they had every possible kind of GasX EXCEPT the strips.

Thanks!

HDub

Dr. A. suggests using liquid Tylenol. I was able to take pills pretty quickly after surgery, small ones. They will send you home with some pain pills that dissolve under your tongue. I didn't need to use them or any Tylenol but everyone is different.

I am surprised you didn't find the strips at Target, I got mine from there. Try Walmart or Walgreens.

I was sleeved on July 25th... and I talked to the Dr about the gasX strips.. he said they are for helping release gas inside the bowls, and wont be very helpful in releasing the gas they pump into you

I was sleeved on July 25th... and I talked to the Dr about the gasX strips.. he said they are for helping release gas inside the bowls, and wont be very helpful in releasing the gas they pump into you

I was told the exact same thing by Dr. Campos just for regular gas not the gas they pump into you. In face, when he saw them on my bedside table he also told me that if you use too many they can cause do the opposite and make you more gassy.

Now that you say it, it does make sense. Unless the gas is pumped into your sleeve or intestines, it probably won't do me much good (except perhaps psychological). I did find the strips and the liquid Tylenol at my Kroger grocery store today.

Silly question...how does the pumped in gas make its escape?

I used the liquid Tylenol. I maybe could have taken the capsules but I didn't want to take the chance. Some people swear by Gas-X but I didn't find it helped me much. What I DID like though was a mouth moisturizing spray. It was wonderful to have in the hours after surgery when can't yet have fluids!

Now that you say it, it does make sense. Unless the gas is pumped into your sleeve or intestines, it probably won't do me much good (except perhaps psychological). I did find the strips and the liquid Tylenol at my Kroger grocery store today.

Silly question...how does the pumped in gas make its escape?

LOL.... Not a silly question at all. Actually kind of funny.

The gas they pump into you inflates your stomach so they can do the surgery without opening you up completely. That allows for a quicker recovery, however the gas gets trapped in your body and it sucks (at least it did for me when I got my gallbladder removed). My shoulders would ache when I was upright so I would lay down and then have to get up (cause I had to keep walking) and then lay down again. Like I said, it sucked but it only took a day or so for my body to absorb it. It was 10 years ago but I still remember being mind-boggled because I just had my gallbladder removed and expected pain from that and my pain was in my shoulders. It wasn't severe, just irritating.

So anyway, your body absorbs it (eventually). I have heard though the more you move around the quicker it goes away.

Now that I think about it, I'm glad I experienced it back then so I know what to expect for that part anyway.

I found the Gas X strips at Wal-Mart but like everyone says I don't think that will help much for the gas they pump into you. The only thing to really relieve that is walking. To me that was the worst part of recovery. It lasted about 2-3 days and to me it felt like having contractions when in labor, LOL. I also saw Dr. Aceves 2 months ago and the pain meds they gave me were called Supradol. You can put them under your tongue. They are not narcotic. They have a small pharmacy right in front the hospital where you can buy more Nexium Mumps and you can also buy as much Supradol as you think you will need to take home with you. I actually gave my husband the last pack of Supradol I had a week ago because he had a horrible toothache. Good Luck!

Oooh Supradol sounds heavenly.

bananapowerslide.gif