Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dallas Looking for Answers

It's good to hear from others with lower BMI's who have had or are scheduled for VSG. I started this journey with my Primary Care Doctor's blessing. She has helped me jump over numerous obstacles to be approved and move forward with this WLS. I'm halfway through a 12 week Options class and then will be referred to a surgeon. I have around 65-70 lbs to lose. I have osteoarthritis, RA and high cholesterol etc. I've been off and on diets since the age of 12 and know that VSG is the tool I need to help me get back down to a healthier weight.

Being overweight is miserable...whether it be 50, 60, 70, 100, 150+ or more.

It's wonderful hearing all your stories.

Keep them coming.

Totally agree with you mp8btpc. We all have our own reasons for this surgery. Good luck to you Dallasmom4. When is your surgery? Soon? I've heard a lot of good things about your surgeon. Wishing you the best!

Totally agree with you mp8btpc. We all have our own reasons for this surgery. Good luck to you Dallasmom4. When is your surgery? Soon? I've heard a lot of good things about your surgeon. Wishing you the best!

My surgery is scheduled for September 6th. Thanks for the good thoughts.

It is normal to be scared, but you are going to do AWESOME! I self paid for my band and it was useless. At least you are paying for the wonderful sleeve that works! As long as you follow the rules, you are going to lose weight and live a healthy life. We will be here cheering you on!!!! I am not far from you in Houston. HUGS!

Hi Dallas Mom4;

I lost 76 lbs so far to reach a healthy BMI - and I started at a lower BMI than you. So with 50 lbs, are you really going to be at a "normal" BMI range? Not knowing your height I can't tell.

Agree with other posters - you have to decide what is right for you. I self paid - and yes, if it had been "only" 50 lbs I would do it again. When you carry around an extra 50 lbs, even if you're healthy can have long term effects. Eventually our joints ache, we are not as active, we do not move easily, everyday activities are limiting or tiring and so on. I was considered healthy not having a BMI above 35 nor having two comorbitiies but just KNEW I was unhealthy. My thighs rubbed together when hiking causing ugly rashes. I was out of breath when doing "easy" excercise classes at the gym. I ate all the time and keep gaining 5 to 10 lbs a year. Yeah, I lost with WW only to gain back the weight. Constant yo yo crazing dieting for over a decade which never worked. Thousands of dollars spent chasing a cure when really what I needed was a tool to help me achieve permanent weight loss. The sleeve works.

Bottom line - this is an optional surgery with no reversal. Be sure this is for you. It is a life altering surgery - IMO a great choice for me and many of my VST buddies. I wish you the best of luck in your search no matter what you decide.

I was also one who only needed to lose 50-60 lbs. I was sleeved a month ago and have lost 25 lbs to date. What you will probably find is that your loss will be slower than the higher BMI's which can be frustrating. You will read the posts that say "I am one month out and have lost 40 lbs" and you will see your losses only creeping in ounces. But, try not to get to frustrated, especially early on. Low BMI's usually hit a stall after about 2 weeks, which can last a week or two. I had read this and then experienced it myself. But have faith in the process. It works. Believe me, it was well worth having the big part of my stomach cut out for my 50 lbs! I have only lost 25 so far and I'm so happy now I almost would have done it for this, but I know it will continue!

Who is your doctor Dallasmom? Mine is Dr. Davidson at Forest Park in Dallas. I'm scheduled for Sept. 20.

I was also one who only needed to lose 50-60 lbs. I was sleeved a month ago and have lost 25 lbs to date. What you will probably find is that your loss will be slower than the higher BMI's which can be frustrating. You will read the posts that say "I am one month out and have lost 40 lbs" and you will see your losses only creeping in ounces. But, try not to get to frustrated, especially early on. Low BMI's usually hit a stall after about 2 weeks, which can last a week or two. I had read this and then experienced it myself. But have faith in the process. It works. Believe me, it was well worth having the big part of my stomach cut out for my 50 lbs! I have only lost 25 so far and I'm so happy now I almost would have done it for this, but I know it will continue!

Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate reading what everyone has experienced. I'm set to go September 6th.

Who is your doctor Dallasmom? Mine is Dr. Davidson at Forest Park in Dallas. I'm scheduled for Sept. 20.

Dr. Nicholson at Forest Park Sept 6. A bit nervous.

I understand. I'm trying to quit reading about complications because I find myself wavering a bit. Best of luck and let us know how it goes. I've heard good things about Forest Park. Anxious to hear your thoughts! Keep posting so we know how u r doing!!

Today I meet with my WLS, along with my husband, to ask any questions we may still have. I'm excited but apprehensive which I know is normal. Moving forward!

Good luck and b sure to let us know how it goes!

Yes. I wasn't fat enough long enough for my insurance to pay. So strange! I joined WW, lost 50 lbs, gained 30 back, and because I did that, my BMI wasn't high enough for two consecutive years for Aetna to pay. Go figure!