Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plain Greek Yogurt ~ what can I do with it??

I am in my second week postop. I am branching out trying different things in very small portions but I bought this big container of plain Greek Yogurt and I don't know what to do with it to make it palatable?

So far I put Splenda in it and then I could at least get it down. It tastes like sour cream when it is plain.

I know about adding fruit to it but is there anything else?

Thanks so much

I am in my second week postop. I am branching out trying different things in very small portions but I bought this big container of plain Greek Yogurt and I don't know what to do with it to make it palatable?

So far I put Splenda in it and then I could at least get it down. It tastes like sour cream when it is plain.

I know about adding fruit to it but is there anything else?

Thanks so much

My doc lets me add a little bit of sugar free carmel topping or sugar free chocolate Syrup.< /span>

Torani and Davinci both make a HUGE variety of excellent sugar-free syrups you could try. Nettrition.com has them all and it's $5 flat rate shipping no matter how much you order.

Other than using it like sour cream, my favorite is to just add vanilla and splenda (and sometimes, especially before running, I'll toss in some original Fiber One cereal).

I mix in zero-everything Walden Farms caramel or strawberry spreads. Or I'll mix in some dry hidden valley ranch and spread it on chicken. Or put it over Beans.< /p>

Thanks these are some great ideas.

This evening I put a packet of Splenda and sprinkled some cinnamon in. That was good.

I assume at some point I will be able to have fresh vegetables. Mixing it with Hidden Valley Ranch would make a very healthy dip to serve with veggies.

This "healthy eating" is a whole new thing to me but I am catching on. LOL

Does anyone cook with it as in a hot dish?

Yup, I can't have raw veg until 5 months, I use it on meats now when I need a Protein boost. Like for lunch today because I didn't eat Breakfast, just couldn't deal with the idea of food this morning. LOL. I think you can probably use it anywhere you would sour cream :)

My favorite way to eat is is with Splenda or preserves, but here are some other things that I found for you.

Peanut Butter Fluff. Take a cup of Greek Yogurt and add two tablespoons of Peanut Butter to it for an extraordinary treat. You'll think you're eating soft-serve peanut butter ice cream and your kids may be envious. If you're trying to cut down calories, carbs, or fat, try adding the new PB2 powder instead of peanut butter, and sweeten it with splenda or a sugar free Syrup for all the taste and none of the guilt.

Fruit Chiffon. Greek Yogurt makes an exceptional accompaniment to all kinds of fruit. Traditionalists may grill fruit slices and serve them with greek yogurt for desert after a light summer supper. But if you're in a hurry, try flavoring your yogurt with a sugar free lemon or strawberry syrup. You'll find it makes a refreshing way to eat Greek yogurt while watching your weight at the same time.

Tzatziki. If you love Greek cuisine, or have ever enjoyed a gyro sandwich with a delicious cucumber yogurt sauce, then you've probably had tzatziki and didn't even know it. Tzatziki is a staple of Greek cuisine that is used as a topping for meat dishes or salads. You can make this savory sauce at homeusing Greek Yogurt and your own spices. Add some cucumbers, and you may never go back to sour cream. (Incidentally, Greek Yogurt can also be used plain as a sour cream substitute with all the texture, but dramatically fewer calories.)

With Honey and Nuts. In Greece, a classic way to eat Greek yogurt is to pair it with honey and nuts. The texture of the yogurt swirls beautifully with honey, and the nutty crunch adds some wholesome pizzazz.(If you're trying to cut down on sugar, you can use a sugar free maple syrup and stir in some nuts for an authentic but diet-conscious treat.)

smoothies. When milk is scarce or out of the question and you're looking for a smoothie with more tang, add some Greek yogurt. You'll be surprised at the richness it imparts to your frosty beverage.

I use it as sour cream, and also in hidden valley ranch and hidden valley fiesta ranch dips, then I get a rotisserie chicken or other protein/meat and dip it. I love it and it increases the Protein. If I have a few bites of baked potato on the rare occasion, I use it in place of sour cream. You can also add white choc or cheesecake sugar free pudding mix in it. A lot of people use it in smoothies, but I haven't tried that.

I like it stirred into Tomato Soup. Chobani has a site full of recipes, but I haven't tried any of them: http://www.chobani.com/kitchen

I drink a greek yogurt smoothie almost every day for breakfast:

3/4 cup . greek yogurt ( I started with 1/2 vup but I can eat more now)

1/8 cup orange juice

1/4 cup Water

2-3 tablespoons Splenda

2 strawberries

Blend.

you can mix in sf jelly or sf cheese cake pudding is really good. I like to mix in blue berries and stevia.

I am one week post op and bought some today. I actually made a savoury dish from it - I put it in a blender with some smoked salmon, a bit of cream cheese, a bit of milk to make it runnier and some cayenne pepper and salt. It was yummy and one of the only things so far that has made me feel a bit full.

I add about 1/4 - 1/3 of the crystal light pre-measured water bottle packets. Looks like play dough, tastes lots better and I can do a variety of flavors :) or I use it in recipes and/or as a substitute for sour cream.

You can use it to make a chicken salad--use pre-cooked chicken (or canned), a bit of green onion--not too much!--and some Greek yogurt--zap in the processor (I make it in my magic bullet). Delicious! You can add whatever seasonings you like, but I tend to like it sort of plain. I also like to get it very smooth, so it's more like chicken salad paste, if you get my drift, and I can eat it with a spoon or on a cracker or on a slice of cucumber....

You can also make really good deviled eggs--I can't eat eggs any more after surgery, but even before surgery, I liked deviled eggs with the Greek yogurt. Smush up the hard-cooked egg yolks with some Greek yogurt, some Creole mustard (or I bet sweet-hot mustard would be yummy), a little salt and pepper, and, if you want to get fancy, some fine-chopped pickles or olives. Stuff the egg whites and enjoy.