Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost Four Years Sleeved - A Cautionary Tale

In October 2007 I was sleeved in Perth Western Australia by a surgeon named Jon Armstrong (aka Gorgeous Jon). I had a textbook recovery and without really trying or exercising I lost 50kg (over 100 lbs) in the first six months. I went down from 380 lbs to 260lbs and was feeling great.

Then I separated from my husband, and ended up having a nervous breakdown and leaving my job. I was diagnosed with major depression, Binge ating Disorder and anxiety. During this time I turned to my old friend food for comfort and started eating junk food and binge eating. I discovered I could eat a lot more than I had before and fairly soon was back to regaining weight. Bad food choices, snacking and overeating led me to stretch my sleeve and now I've regained half of the weight I had lost.

Most surgeons consider less than 50% excess weight lost as a VSG "failure". My surgeon has suggested I think about having a gastric bypass as I am still morbidly obese. He's refused a revision or a lapband on the sleeve. I am trying the pre-op liquid diet to kick start my weight loss and will then go on to counting calories and exercising to try and shift some of the weight as I think the bypass is a last resort. More surgery?! I don't know. It's already cost me $20,000 to get this far and I will be out of pocket another $8,000 if I have the bypass.

My surgeon has done over 500 procedures and only has three "failures". He suggested my stomach may be overly efficient and empties very quickly, enabling me to eat almost as much now as I did before surgery. Examples: 250g steak, fries and salad or six slices of pizza. I am seeing a therapist to help with my emotional eating and binge eating issues. i really wish I had seen a counsellor before and after my surgery to address these problems early on. I don't regret having the VSG, because I am still lighter now than before the surgery. But I wish things had turned out differently...

I now weigh 137kg (about 300 lbs) and need to get down to 80kg to be almost healthy weight range. I'm desperately hoping my stomach will shrink back a little now I'm doing a 12 week liquid and vegetables diet.

I am routing for you sweetie it is tough seperating from someone you love just jump right back on the horse. You can do this!

Hi Lil, and welcome to the forum.

You are on the path to a new life. I'm so glad you are seeking help for the other issues...I think things will only improve for you!!

Glad to meet you,

Susan

Thanks guys! I really like the look of this forum and it'll be great to get back into the habit of being accountable and asking for support. Tipsy, I like your idea of adding Protein to my eating plan. So far I've lost 15lbs (in three weeks) so I'm hopeful! :rolleyes:

Hi ya sorry to hear you have had a rough time....lets hope things are looking up for you now ;)

Can i ask you a question? do you feel hungry like you did pre-sleeve? that is a big concern....also do you have an regret having the sleeve?

Thanks

Lucy x

Thank you for sharing your story. The mental aspect of this journey is the most difficult obstacle to beat in my opinion.

All of the emotional and mental issues that you've endured have led to those old habits creeping back in, and I hope you can tackle those effectively. I know that the further out I get, the mental aspect will be my issue as well. Not so much emotional eating, or binge eating, but just getting complacent in my food choices.

Congrats on the 15lbs lost already. You can do it, and we're here to cheer you on ! ! !

Thanks for sharing your story! So many of us wonder about how things go so far out from surgery, not to say your journey is like others or others like yours. This forum is great for support. Congratulations on the weight loss so far. Ask anything you need to, people here are very willing to help in advise and otherwise. Good Luck!

Thanks for sharing your story Lil. Congrats on your weight loss so far. You can do this. You sound like you have turned your life around and seem like a strong woman. We are all here to support you along your new journey.

Lil welcome to the neighborhood. Good Luck on your new journey, you will do great. As all of us know WLS is only a tool and if you don't keep your head straight, focused and in the game, you will not success. As the others have posted, this is a lifetime change and the hardest part is beating those old comfy food habits and staying the course. Getting help from a counselor is great and the right thing to do, I know it help me a great deal when I was going through a very difficult time. You have all the right tools so your journey will be very successful. We are here for you!!!!! :D

Just be strong! It sounds like you are already on a good start. Just remember if you get bored, you can add some Protein and you should keep loosing the weight. On you side! =)

Hello and welcome!!

Push that Protein and keep it first!! That is what will keep you feeling satisfied the longest. Don't drink with your meals and wait 30-60 minutes before drinking after a meal!!

We are all cheering you on. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Kelly ;)

Hello Lil, welcome, and thank you for being brave enough to share your story! I've spent the last 9-12 months learning to get control over binge and emotional eating, so I understand your struggle. It can be such a vicious cycle, because overeating makes you beat yourself up, and those emotions make you want to overeat! I'd really encourage you to see if you can find a therapist or counselor who specializes in eating disorders. The sleeve is a wonderful tool to help us control our weight, but the mental and emotional battles are hard too. Good luck - I believe you can do this!!

Thank you for sharing your story. It is always much easier to share when it is a 'success' story, but not so easy when you fall off the wagon and can't seem to get back on. We all know that the surgery itself cannot do all the work, but it is a good reminder of how easy it is to not use our tool. This story could probably be any one of us, so don't feel alone. I am glad you found this site, as I think you will find a lot of really great supportive people here. I think you can do this!!

I do have one question as to why they would do a bypass over a DS since the sleeve can be the first step in a DS? It is something to consider if you are thinking about revising at any point.