Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I heard from my dr. office yest. and he may decide to NOT sleeve me. How is this possible? Worried about meds because of depression history. What can I do about this?

how bad is ur depression? what kind of meds are u on??

So, I heard from my dr. office yest. and he may decide to NOT sleeve me. How is this possible? Worried about meds because of depression history. What can I do about this?

Really? I take antidepressants and my shrink is so happy I doing this surgery. She told me my medication Lexapro comes in liquid form and I can also crush the pills and put them in apple sauce or something. But I am assuming I can take the pills normally because digestion isnt changed. Ugh so many different things best of luck. What depression meds do you take?

So....... what? Are they afraid your doing this in an attempt to end your life? Its so bogus!! I have spent most of my life battling depression (ranging from mild to suicidal) so I am fully aware of the ramifications of depression. A person who is suicidal could find easier ways to finish the job and if its not a fear of that then WTH does it matter if your depressed?? Its so bogus!Are they afraid you might actually get, I don't know, HAPPY post-op???? If I were you I would give it a go at trying to change your docs mind and if you can't find another doc. If your ins won't cover now thanks to this doc take matters in your own hands and go to mexico! NOBODY should be able to essentially tell you that you are not happy enough to save your life!

Has the surgeon definitely said no yet? The way I read your message is that it hasn't been determined for sure yet. I would talk to your surgeon and find out 1) is it definite that he won't do the surgery and 2) why he won't do it. It may have nothing to do at all with your depression - it may be because of something else entirely. Really, you need to talk to your surgeon to find out for sure (and not just the "girls in the office" because they can get things wrong). Don't panic yet until you have that conversation with the surgeon.

There is a statistically significant percentage of people who get the sleeve who then get depression down the line. The Drs don't know yet what causes this... hormones, or whatever. He may be thinking about this. I have had low grade depression for long stretches of my life..my Doc warned me about this possibility.

Thank-you, everyone, for your encouraging words. Meds: 200mg Lamictal, 400mg Seroquel, Ambian CR 12.5mg, Prozac 60mg, Adderrall 20 mg. It's lots of meds but my psychiatrist wrote a letter to my surgeon stating that I would benefit from surgery. I am bi-polar, BUT very stable for 3 years. I'm tired of the run around. I just want to discuss it with my surgeon and not talk to "the office girls." The only other doctor around is my dr's partner. I can't go to Mexico because I have to make sure that insurance pays for after-care. ???

Wow thats not a lot of medication at all if it helps. I take Concerta and Lexapro their lifesaving medications I am ADHD with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Dont worry you PM if you want.

Thank-you, everyone, for your encouraging words. Meds: 200mg Lamictal, 400mg Seroquel, Ambian CR 12.5mg, Prozac 60mg, Adderrall 20 mg. It's lots of meds but my psychiatrist wrote a letter to my surgeon stating that I would benefit from surgery. I am bi-polar, BUT very stable for 3 years. I'm tired of the run around. I just want to discuss it with my surgeon and not talk to "the office girls." The only other doctor around is my dr's partner. I can't go to Mexico because I have to make sure that insurance pays for after-care. ???

My doc said he wouldn't operate on a bi-polar person unless you are very stable. I'm bipolar II, very stable, and he's ok with it (I'm still pre-op though). My shrinks (meds doc and counselor) both know and are very supportive. Since you've already cleared it with your psychiatrist, your doctor will hopefully be ok with it. If he's not, you might have to find another doc, even if it is several hours away. I really hope that he'll do it on you. I don't think there is any medical reason why not, but I can sort of understand how they wouldn't want to operate on someone who isn't mentally stable. Going full-on manic would really impair a person's ability to take care of him/herself.

I really do think your doc will be ok with it when he reads the letter from your psychiatrist. I hope so!

I am bi-polar also and very stable. On Abilify and Cymbalta. The first doctor I went to said a flat-out no, saying a Bi-Polar person could never handle a band or sleeve. After leaving his office practically in tears my wife and I decided that that was the end of the road. I talked it over with both my psychiatrist and my primary care and they both disagreed with that surgeon. I waited a couple of years and tried again with anothr surgeon. I saw his psychologist and he said he saw no reason whatsoever I wouldn'/t be successful. Well to make a long story short I was sleeved 3 days ago and so far I couldn't be happier. Try another surgeon! Good Luck.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I take anti-depressants...I had surgery and I have never been happier or healthier. find a new surgeon!

You are supposed to crush pills for awhile after surgery. You will need to talk to you doctor about this.