Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Military move shortly after surgery

Good evening. I am currently scheduled to have my VSG done on July 26th (Next week!). I have jumped through the hoops and done everything to get insurance approved. I just learned that my husband who is military has a PCS move and so our whole family should be moved by 1 September. I am considering cancelling my surgery, but I am so upset and scared to cancel. It seems awfully close to my surgery date and I worry about feeling up to it with the move and everything. I also don't know if I will have a chance to do this after we move because I won't have the same insurance when we do.

This is really bugging me and I need some HELP! Anyone affiliated with the military? Or anyone who has experience with moving shortly after the surgery, please chime in and help me figure this out!

Thanks everyone!

Hi, I feel for you! I was military also and I know how those moves can be. However, I would NOT cancel the surgery because of the move. You will be feeling so much better after a week or so and by mid Aug you should be fine and on mushies. I know it is a pain to move, but the movers and packers do most of the hard stuff right? I was sleeved on July 5th and cancelled a trip on the 14th that, now I know I could have made just fine. Just go for it! I think you will be glad you did.....well, after the first few days post-op you will be glad you did. Those first few days you will be cursing me and yourself for doing it, but after that, you will be glad!

Don't cancel your surgery. I had mine last Tuesday. Next Friday/Saturday I am moving into an apartment from the room I have been renting. It's not quite the same as moving the entire house, but darn close to it. You'll be healing and doing great by the time you need to move.

If it were me, I would pack everything before my surgery and live out of a suitcase. Just what you needed... a little extra stress. Best of wishes.

Moving stinks, but a week post op and you will be fine! I went back to work after 1 week, and I had a bounce in my step. My energy level is getting better and better. By 2 weeks out you really won't be having any kind of pain. By end of august you'll be buzzing with so much energy you'd be begging for something to do! Like packing!

I wouldn't cancel your surgery. We're military, and considering the military pays movers to pack your entire household, you won't be required to technically do anything other than pack your essentials.

As for losing insurance, why will you lose insurance? Do you carry another primary insurance over Tricare? You will be covered wherever you go with Tricare so receiving care and follow-up treatment at another location should not be an issue.

Don't cancel! I put off surgery for a LONG time until I got my gov't job which has the best insurance in the world. I am a Navy wife now and we will be putting my husband on MY insurance... lol.

I was sleeved on June 7, had about 3 weeks to rest, then within that next three week period was away from home for about 2 1/2 weeks getting married and our honeymoon. By the time your move comes around you will still be "in recovery" but I would not cancel your surgery because of it. You'll have to adjust food wise for travel etc. but you should feel "ok" enough by then to at least supervise the move. Remember your dr's orders NOT to lift anything, I know when my now-husband transferred to our current location he had movers that did everything, but if you have family instead of movers they will just have to understand that you physically can't lift/move anything. That was the hardest part for me, harder maybe even than the food, I couldn't even bend down to feed our cats for a few weeks. But If you have people at home who can help you, 4 weeks is going to be still "recovery" period but if you can take it easy, I'd say go for it.

PS... if you HAVE already gone through the hoops and got a date... that would be an incentive for many people alone to go through with it... if you think you might be changing insurance carriers (but will still have insurance afterwards) you probably would have to start that whole process again, and who knows what hoops THEY would have you go through. But I wish you the best, it's daunting to think about traveling and moving your household period let alone after a surgery like this.

Good luck!!

Hi! I wanted to chime in with everyone else and encourage you NOT to cancel your surgery - you have worked so hard for this, and you deserve to do it for yourself! I moved literally one week after I was sleeved. I had packed most everything up beforehand and, as another poster suggested, was basically living out of a suitcase. I realize I'm single, and this might be harder if you have a family, but family just means there will also be more people to help you! I hired movers and they did all the hard work; I just told them where to put everything. I don't regret it at all, although I will admit I was a little stressed out about everything, as I'm sure you are, too! I just wanted you to hear another version of how it's totally doable, so to echo everyone else, GO FOR IT! I will keep you in my thoughts!

Just wanted to come back with a quick update! Everyone's advice was just what I needed to hear! I did not cancel. Had the sleeve on July 26th and am home from the hospital. I am dealing with all the issues that I hear most people do, nasty protien shakes, wanting to eat and being tired. Stuff with our move is rolling ahead. We expect to be completely moved by September and yes there will be some challenges but we can do it. I have lost 20 lbs so far that includes the pre op diet.

Thanks everyone -- I would have backed down if it weren't for YOU!

Just wanted to come back with a quick update! Everyone's advice was just what I needed to hear! I did not cancel. Had the sleeve on July 26th and am home from the hospital. I am dealing with all the issues that I hear most people do, nasty protien shakes, wanting to eat and being tired. Stuff with our move is rolling ahead. We expect to be completely moved by September and yes there will be some challenges but we can do it. I have lost 20 lbs so far that includes the pre op diet.

Thanks everyone -- I would have backed down if it weren't for YOU!

Oh good, I'm so glad you went ahead with the sleeve! The first couple of weeks are the pits, but actually, the first month passes before you know it. Today was my 1 month surgiversary! I can't believe it came so soon. I am in a stall right now for the last week actually, but I know it works so I will just be patient. Good luck with your move. Where are you guys moving from / to?