Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magic bullet

I have read where several of you have and use the magic bullet for making Protein Shakes, omlettes and etc. I was reading the reviews of this thing to try to decide if I needed one. For those of you who own one, what has been your experience? Good points? Bad points?

Khy

I have read where several of you have and use the magic bullet for making Protein Shakes, omlettes and etc. I was reading the reviews of this thing to try to decide if I needed one. For those of you who own one, what has been your experience? Good points? Bad points?

Khy

Glad you asked first....I can save you 49.00 dollars here.....the bullet makes stuff too foamy (protein shakes) and foamy=painful gas burping. So if that is what you are using it for don't bother. Also...for making chicken salad etc like they do on tv....does not work. The bottom chops up ok....but the top binds and you have to take if off and on and stir alot. I went back and got a little food processor that works better for that. The only thing I use it for is for making crystal light snowcones.

So what would be anyone's recommndation for a small easy to clean blender?

Khy

So what would be anyone's recommndation for a small easy to clean blender?

Khy

My 2 cents...I like foam (I like xtra foam on my latte's too). I didn't know it caused more gas...that's something to consider, but I don't have that issue so I guess I never noticed.

PROS:

Quick & Easy for Protein Shakes

Good for quick sauces/dressings

LOVE that it has a little handle on it and you get the sippy or snap lids for portability (i.e., running out the door--story of my life)

I can whip up 2 Protein shakes in the a.m., pour half into one of the smaller cups, lid it and save it for snack (with a quick shake to revive) and drink the other now

Rinse and store blades--easy clean-up.

Very little counter space for something I use daily AND portable for overnighters

CONS:

Does not do well with "foods" as Supermom stated

Like SuperMom notes, it's not great for food and It is not suitable for going from solid to purees...but because it is so portable and because it takes up so little space for something I use SO frequently (as does my football/weightlifting son---protein shakes are not new to my house!) it was a great "investment" that has paid off for me. It does great with yogurt consistancy foods. So when I make my own dill yogurt sauce (or others) it is perfect. I use it constantly and leave it on my counter.

Susan

I already have a mini-chopper (food processor). I figure that's going to be great for small servings of chicken salad, egg salad, etc. I just ordered a Hamilton Beach single-serving blender (I've read it's about as good as the Bullet and about $30 cheaper) and an Oster hand (immersion) blender. I figure that's going to be a must-have for purees when I can blend up yummy Soups.< /p>

I love mine, I make my shakes in it all the time and add fruits to change up the taste, they are made in seconds. I amso use it for scrambled eggs and light things like that. As far as food preparation, I use the food processor. My Magic Bullet sits on my counter because it's used every day.

I just purchased the Baby Bullet in preparation for my surgery. It is just the cutest thing!! It has 6 tiny little containers that I can store food in with a dial to change the date so I know when I made it. Came with a small and large blender container. Also it came with silicon tray to make like popsicles from the blended food. Hopefully with be able to use this later after I recover and enough time passes I can make this to make baby food with (recipe book included).

I have been considering it too and just can't do it for the price. I would love having the ease of just cleaning the the blade and then being able to use it again but it seems like the price just isn't worth it. I have seen then little Hamilton Beach mentioned above at our Walmart for $12 - it is tiny and would work great because our counter is so small but the blade is in the glass like a normal blender so you would still need to wash it each time you used it. I'm still undecided.

I decided against it after reading a LOT of reviews. Seems the company doens't like backing it's product. I bought a cuisinart at bed bath and beyond (always getting 20% off coupons for it in the mail) and am very happy with it. I ground up dry cooked chicken in it ( yes had to shake it a bit or scrape the sides) but it made the chicken in to powder!. It makes frothy drinks for sure, i love adding ice to it and making it really yummy. I leave mine on the counter also and use it a lot!

I bought the GE brand one that Walmart has for $20. It works great. Comes with 5 large cups and one small that you can drink out of too. Its fast, easy and very affordable. I show it on one of my Post Op Vlogs. Click my youtube link in my signature and you can see it.

Its the Gastric Sleeve Post op day 11 video.

I bought a MB before my lap-band surgery, used it every day for about 4 years, and a handful of times a week since.

I'm having a hard time just doing pros and cons because there are some "didn't realize until..." that aren't really value judgments.

Cons -

The biggest con for me so far - sometimes when you're using it the base can come loose. This has happened several times, regardless of how tighlty I screw it on. Then whem I blend, it leaks and Protein drink or whatever gets down into the unit. This can prevent it from working. It's fairly easy to fix -- I just stream hot Water into it (unplugged of course), then let dry completely. Still a bit of a PITA but it wouldn't stop me from getting another one.

If you have to process something long enough that the motor warms up, whatever is in there will taste like hot motor.

You may need to use a liquid or thinner if you are trying to process too much at once (ice, nuts, etc.)

All the seals that came with mine broke. They're really cheap to replace so it doesn't matter much, but still a tiny nuisance when you have a drink ready to go, and no spare seals on hand. :)

It's pretty loud

Pros -

Super quick. 2 or 3 pulses and even the grittiest Protein powder is mixed in. I've shopped for alternatives to keep at work that can handle the Protein powders, like the Oster cup blender or whatever it is, and the only other thing I've found that comes close to getting as good of a mix in a as short of time is an immersion blender.

Very versatile. I've used it from everything from Protein drinks to Soups to chai mix (I make my own & then blend it to get the poweder consistency) to spices, guacamole, maragaritas, butter, etc. I could not have done all of that with other mix type gadgets I have.

I personally think that for something I used every day for 4 years, and very frequently since, it's a great value. (And they're cheaper now then when I got mine)

I'm impressed that something with the usage stats in the line above is still working well. Many other things have not lasted that long.

Multiple cups and blades, so I can just toss the dirty ones in the dishwasher and make something else before it's done washing.

THings I thought I would care about but I don't -

The "cup" containers and rims. I don't like drinking out of them anyway. I always pour it into something else, or use a straw.

The various attachments. I pretty much use just the cups, the short blade & the long blade (one is for blending, and one is for ice IIRC).

I love my bullet and use it faithfully every day for something- correct on not being able to do chicken salad and things like the commercial shows but it is phenomenal for shakes and ice crushing shakes. I could not live without it..

I have one and LOVE mine so much I bought 2 one for home and one for work. The key is having a Kohls credit card. I can almost always get free shipp and 30% off coupons online and have stuff shipped to home. Pay it off right away and no interest but get to take advantage of their sales with 30% off all the time.... I LOVE KOHLS!

I LOVE my Magic Bullet. I use it everyday at least once. I have never had any problem with the foam. It has been very dependable and excellent. I could not do without it. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and never had a problem with it. I highly recommend the Magic Bullet.

I love my bullet! No, it doesn't work as well on food as the commercials would have you believe, but it still does the job and makes the mushy stage easy. If yu don't over mix the shakes, you won't get so much foam and mine usually stirs in with a spoon. I still like the bullet because I never have clumps in my shakes and can add ice to them for a more shake like texture.

I've also used mine to make baby food. Add some avocado to chicken salad and it comes out so creamy - an easy slider.

Anyway....my $.02: It is nowhere near the appliance that a cuisinart or blender is, but it is so simple and easy to clean. I can use it several times a day without a huge production of clean up. I would recommend it and am actually contmplating buying a second.