Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Protein Shakes

I have been struggling with Protein Drinks. All the ones I have taste ok, maybe even good, but they make me feel awful!!! Like after 30 minutes of drinking about 4oz of one I have to lie down and rest until my body recovers. Well anyway, I am on purees and am allowed blended chicken, and my large chicken breasts have about 90 grams of Protein each. I am going to boil then blend one each morning, I have some BBQ Sauce and italian dressing and a few other ways to dress up my chicken. I will eat on each breast through out the day. I am a sahm so it's pretty easy for me to not have to eat on the run all the time. I have been eating a little chicken for the past couple days and it has went great so today I am going to do the whole breast throughout the day. Anyone else done this?

I know everyone is tired of hearing from me (hahah) about how gross the Protein Shakes are. I have tried about 6 different kinds (and they are all expesive) and still cannot tolerate how gross and thick (and yes I have tried Water, milk, ice, blending etc) ALL of them gross me out and make my stomach feel bad. I can tolerate the chicken broth from Unjury. That is how I am doing it. I have not tried the clear Protein drinks yet.....going to do that my next day off. With the chicken broth from Unjury I am getting about 70 protein a day.....that is the best I can do for now. Good luck with the chicken. I know JUST how you feel about the protein!!!

I'm either allergic or slightly intolerant of all of them. Fun for me! Plus they make me want to ralph.

I'm almost a month out and have had to push it a bit, but I've been getting all of my Protein in from food the past few days. It usually looks like this:

B (20) - 7oz fage greek yogurt with strawberry sauce (Walden Farms) mixed in, this takes a while to get down some days!

S (5) - Scrambled/pureed egg with salsa

L (15) - 2-3 oz tuna salad

S (6) - 1/4 cup cottage cheese

D (25) - 3oz chicken breast with whatever to puree it with, I usually use mayo and pickle juice

I also have some "Just The Cheese" Snacks (google it) that are pretty good and have 5 Protein for a little bag. Laughing Cow cheeses have 2 in a little wedge and are mighty tasty! If I'm still short, I'll have a little tuna or something after dinner.

** Note: I'm still on purees

I'm either allergic or slightly intolerant of all of them. Fun for me! Plus they make me want to ralph.

I'm almost a month out and have had to push it a bit, but I've been getting all of my Protein in from food the past few days. It usually looks like this:

B (20) - 7oz fage greek yogurt with strawberry sauce (Walden Farms) mixed in, this takes a while to get down some days!

S (5) - Scrambled/pureed egg with salsa

L (15) - 2-3 oz tuna salad

S (6) - 1/4 cup cottage cheese

D (25) - 3oz chicken breast with whatever to puree it with, I usually use mayo and pickle juice

I also have some "Just The Cheese" Snacks (google it) that are pretty good and have 5 Protein for a little bag. Laughing Cow cheeses have 2 in a little wedge and are mighty tasty! If I'm still short, I'll have a little tuna or something after dinner.

** Note: I'm still on purees

This is awesome and really helpful! I am not a 'sweets' person and honestly the idea of drinking those Protein shakes just makes my stomach churn, even though I haven't tried any of them. I'm hoping my nutritionist will have some good suggestions at my class next week.

I don;t think your info about a chicken breast having 90 grams of Protein is correct! Chicken has 5-6 grams per ounce. You would have to eat at least 15 ounces of chicken to get 90 grams- my stomach holds 1 1/2 to 2 ounces MAX and then I am stuffed. I eat three to four small meals- and you do need to make some room for vegies and fruit. Until I can eat more (I am 10 wees out) I cannot see being able to get all my protein from food. Since protein is such an important part of the chemical process- I still have two protein drinks a day- one chocolate mixed ith Decaf and one Unjury chicken Soup.< /p>

The info I found said 7 grams per once, so for the pack of chicken I got each breast is about 90 grams. Yesterday I blended up one of these and put it in a bowl and made it into about 6 or 7 servings. Protein Shakes make me feel so bad, I cannot finish 1 without having to lay down for an hour or 2 after.

great info ...about puree i thought i would be on baby food but i don't know i may give blending a go....

For all those that can not tolerate the milky, thick Protein drinks try Isopure PLUS. They come in 8 oz bottles and are like a crystal lite type drink with protein in it. It is as thin as Water or gatorade. The flavors are punch and grape frost - but neithre are a strong fruity flavor like some of the fruity protein drinks. I ordered mine directly from Amazon.com and the shipped to my house. ( I live in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to try to find them in a store) Be sure to try ISOPURE PLUS, not just ISOPURE. Those things are way too strongly flavored for my tastes.

Ever since surgery, I can't tolerate Protein Shakes at all... probably because I had to drink them 6 times a day for the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Now, when I want something with Protein that I can drink in the car, I have the Kefir drinkable yogurt. It has about 11-12 grams of protein, I think.