Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 months - down 20 pounds

Hi all,

I am struggling to keep my spirits up right now. I got sleeved on May 23rd so I'm almost two months out. I've haven't had much issues with the surgery or recovery. Even though I have restriction, I can eat most things without too much issues. However, I have been sticking with healthy items and most days my calories are between 700-950. I am getting my Protein in and get a minimum of 60 g a day but I have gotten as much as 90. I am mainly sticking to low carb and staying away from bread and only getting carbs from vegetables and fruit.

I lost 58 pounds before surgery through diet and exercise but I've only lost 20 pounds since which I think most of the weight was the first week. I see everyone on here that seem to lose so much weight the first two months - how it is flying off, etc. That is just not me.

I exercise at least three times a week for an hour - Zumba, kickboxing, swimming with Water aerobics mixed in are my usual choices. I plan on adding more time soon but I am building up to it again. I still find myself tired since the surgery. My back keeps hurting too so I do better if I take a days rest between exercising.

I keep telling myself that it is because I lost so much beforehand and that everyone loses differently, etc. I guess what I am wondering is... is there ANYONE out there that is losing this slow? Also, I started off at 315 and am now at 237. So I would like to get to 150 so I had 165 pounds to lose so I have about 87 pounds to go. I guess I am at the half-way point. How is the weight loss for those at that point?

I feel like I am doing something wrong. Only thing that I still struggle with is drinking enough. It is so hard to get it in while I am busy at work and it takes me SO LONG to drink even 8 oz. I have never been a fast or a big drinker of any kind except when I am really hot and outside. I know this may be part of my problem but it is frustrating.

I'm going to see a nutritionist next week and will give her my food journals but I need to hear feedback on what you all think. No matter what, I will stick with healthy eating and exercising because I need to do so for my health so don't worry! I just wish this could be more exciting with seeing the weight fall off. I am still glad I got the surgery, I see a big difference in the amount I am eating and it does stop me from overeating. I just expected... more!

Thanks for listening to me complain!

I was feeling the same way! When you read on here and hear about everyone losing so much so fast u feel like there is something wrong with u! But its not as long as you are losing!! I am losing slow but i am happy because I am LOSING!!! Everypound I am down I am happy with! I had to stop comparing myself to everyone else!

I am a slow loser too! I haven't lost much in the last month...only a pound of two. I know that i haven't made the best choices for food this month, but I thought that I would still loose at least 4 pounds. It seems to be that way for me. Even when I do make good choices, I am only loosing about a pound a week. I am almost at 5 months out and I have lost a total of 60 pounds since the beginning. I really had hoped to be closer to 80 by now. So, hopefully, you find comfort in knowing that you are not alone on this slow process! Be thankful that you have lost something, that's why I am trying to do. It's too easy to get depressed about it.

I'm so sorry you aren't loosing faster. But you are doing the right thing in seeing the nutritionist - they will be able to help you. I would look up thinoneday who posts on these forums. Thinoneday just broke a 7 MONTH stall and has been a slow looser. There are others who are slow loosers too that post on the boards. You're certainly not alone in that aspect of it.

I know it really can be upsetting. I have been feeling down the last few days because of it too. I had my surgery in Nov and lost 76 pounds, 6 pre op. I have another 52 pounds to go and am nervous that maybe I'm done losing. Every month I lose around 6-8 pounds but this month so far nothing. But when I see how little I still eat , I can't imagine not losing weight when I barely take in 900 calories. I know we should not compare ourselves to others and no matter how we lose, were going to get to goal. Plus look how healthy we eat plus exercising. Your doing great,

Hi Becky,

I'm tow months out and I have lost 31 lbs. post surgery and 32 lbs. following the pre-op diet for three months before surgery. My starting weight was 254, 222 day of surgery, current weight is 191 and I am 5'6". My goal weight is 135.

I weigh and track everything. Although I'm not a rabid low-carber, I am a de-facto low-carber because I eat Protein first and I simply don't have room to stuff carbs in after eating Protein at Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.I do get my Water in almost every day. And I'm working out up to 5 days a week for 30-45 minutes.

I hope your nutritionist has some tips for you.

Lynda

Guest Rosalind

I am not sleeved yet so I am by no means an expert. Has anyone considered you may need to increase your calories for a bit and moderately exercise for a short term? You may be taking in too few calories and your body may be in starvation mode? I am interested to know what you think?

One of the things I have learned is Protein is important but only one aspect of a sound weightloss diet. I have had to establish and maintain a sound eating pattern that includes eating at the same times of that day each day and at least 5 to 6 small meals a day. Muscles should be fed after exercising which means one of those meals should be a post workout meal (protein shake). If you are working out a lot, your body requires more fuel.

@ Rosalind, I too think i was getting enough calories in as an result to my slow weight. However, it is hard for me to get in many calories without the additional carbs or fats. I had my surgery May 16th 2011 and have only lost 28-30 lbs and this was my first few weeks during the liquid diet. Im am so glad to see others going thru this cos i have been discouraged from this site due to others success and me constantly comparing dates, weights etc. I know I should have lost alot more by now. It is so discouraging but I just don't wanna give up. I have still been making different choices but some days are better than others.

Thanks to all of you for posting. It feels so good not to be alone. Like all of you, I try not to compare myself to others but it is hard to do even when you use this board to get good tips on eating, exercising or the weird symptoms we have.

I also retain so much Water when I have my period so I know that may be the reason why I haven't lost anything in the past week +. It is frustrating because like two weeks out of the month, I either don't lose anything or I gain a pound or two. Then the following two weeks, I may drop several all at once. Ugh! I hate being a woman some days! I think I may start weighing myself just once a month because the fluctuation with my Water weight is horrible. I can always tell because my rings go from falling off of me to snug again, I swell up so bad. Maybe I need to talk to my doctor about that? I think I may start keeping track of the amount of sodium I consume too.

I don't like to be a complainer but I think we slow losers need to stick together too because it is hard to stay positive and focused when you are not seeing the dramatic results. I am so happy about what I have lost so far and do feel tons better and am more active. Everyone around me is amazed at how I look and sometimes I can be too but its harder when you see yourself everyday. It is not as obvious. So then you stop totally believing others comments, think that they are just being nice.

It is also hard for me because every time I talk about what I am eating to my mother (who is not in my state and hasn't seen me since the surgery) she acts like she thinks I'm eating too much. She is not a positive person by any description so I try to let her comments go in one ear and out the other. My husband is amazed at how the quantity of food I eat has changed. He sees me every day so I think I have to trust his opinion.

I go to the nutritionist next week so I am sure her review of my food journal will shed some light and tell me if I am doing okay or need to make changes. Thanks again to you all! Feel free to contact me at any time if you need to talk!