Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should this still hurt this much?

Hey kids, I'm 4 days post op. I have had severe pain in my left side since waking in recovery. Everyday it get's a little better, but it is always there. It's a bit swollen, and the incision indents~ I have been walking with difficulty. Drinking, and taking in calories just fine. I have had some gas, a few times, nothing major. I have had no vomiting and very little nausea. But man my abdomen HURTS! I have to sleep sitting up, I still need help getting up if the furniture is too low, or I got too comfy. I can't bend over, I can barley (TMI WARNING) wipe myself after tinkling! Will this go away soon?? I do still have the JP drain in, but its in the middle of my tummy, not on the left side where I hurt so much. Did anyone else go through this kind of pain, or is it everyone and no one really talks about it? lol... I haven't seen much about it anywhere. Thanks!

I had a soreness in my tummy as if I had done a lot of sit ups, until they removed my drain on day 3. Then as soon as it was gone, that was relieved for the most part. I see a lot of people with more pain on the left side which is said to be because its where tummy is pulled out. I hope it gets better soon!!

:)

I did not have a drain. I did, however look like I had been beat with a ball bat on my left side. Seriously. I was black and blue for 2 weeks and felt like I had done 2,000 crunches for about 15 days!!

The soreness takes a while to go away, but remember, you just had MAJOR SURGERY!! They moved and removed stuff!!

You will get better!! :)

Kelly

I am 6 days post op, but I don't have a drain. I do have a lot of pain/discomfort in the one incision from which they removed the excess stomach. I've been sleeping in a recliner. I tried to lie in bed this morning just to see if I would be able to sleep in bed tonight. I was able to lie down, but I couldn't turn over without a lot of pulling and discomfort in that one incision area, so it's a few more nights in the recliner for me. :/ Every day gets better, and today is A LOT better for me. Try and hang in there, relief is on its way! :hug:

Sweetdreams, I know exactly what your talking about.. I am now 9 weeks today out of surgery. My pain lasted for two weeks and then on the day of my two week check up I was in the shower and I felt something POP and the indention on my left side was popped out and NO PAIN!!... I mean i was on pain meds the whole two weeks after sugery and had to wear a binder around my stomach, or the pain would just tear threw me. I couldnt be left alone because I have an english mastiff who will try to get in my lap and I didnt have the strenght to push him away. I couldnt stand up straight, an the binder caused a rash that itched like no bodies business. Heck it was still there two weeks after the pop. I kept Gold Bond Medicated powder in business during that month. But just know that each day got better and one day it will just disapear with the POP... and no the pop didnt hurt thank goodness.. I asked about this at my doctors and she said it was normal and that several patients had this issue. Once it popped I did not need any more pain meds at all.

Thank you all so much. This makes me feel a little better. I have a call in to the doc to find out when I can come in and get the JP drain out, and I'm hoping that that will help A LOT. You are all so great! I can't wait to stop hurting!!! Thanks again!

From what I have read it is common to have pain until 2 weeks out. Hang in there! I can tell you that I had major improvement between day 5 and day 6. I just felt so much better on day 6. Maybe it will be the same for you. Before you know it you will be telling us of all the weight you are losing and the exercise you can do each day.

I still have quite a bit of pain right under my diaphram. Part of me thinks I am overdoing it and part thinks that something is wrong. I am still taking pain meds or I don't sleep well. I know I had a hernia fixed as well as the VSG. I hope you feel better soon. I plan on asking about it all at my follow-up tomorrow.

I still have quite a bit of pain right under my diaphram. Part of me thinks I am overdoing it and part thinks that something is wrong. I am still taking pain meds or I don't sleep well. I know I had a hernia fixed as well as the VSG. I hope you feel better soon. I plan on asking about it all at my follow-up tomorrow.

I didn't have a hernia repair with my VSG but, last year when I had my hysterectomy that found a SURPRISE hernia! Because of the damage the hernia had cause to my abdominal muscles, it took me about a week or so longer than anyone else I know to recover from that hyst. It was horrible. I also developed complications at that time. I've been sitting up more today with the heating pad either on my tummy, or on my back, about to take a walk, hopefully day 5 will be even better!!!

OMG.. I was so relieved when the nurse took out that blasted drain! I was so thankful that I didn't have to take it home with me! At least half of my post-op pain went away as soon as they pulled the darn drain!! I'm glad your feeling better... it all gets better from here! (or so they say, :lol:)

I understand completely. I was worried something was wrong with me because I never remember seeing anywhere in post about the pain that comes after surgery. I mean I know there would be pain, BUT OMG!!!! :blink:This stuff really hurts. I also have lovely post nasal drip right now and the coughing hurts so bad and I am in tears.... But it does get better except I dont think I have slept since I left the hospital on Friday. Im always afraid that I will cough and blow out my left side stitches. Also Water does not like me and I dont like it. Which is crazy since I loved it before surgery but now my tummy does not like it. It yells and burns afterwards telling me how terrible I am.... But I can drink Apple juice with no problems.... Its a light apple juice. And OMG have u went the bathroom yet???? I mean really went? I went today for the first time in a week, first time solid tar reminded me of the baby poop after the baby is born, 2nd time pure liquid out of both ends....

Thank goodness I didnt have a drain in, dont know how much more pain I can take. I swear if anyone every tells me that this is an easy way and I cheated, I will proceed to RIP their heads off.... lol.

I think I might try the liquid Loratab tonight (dont wanna cause it is horrible) but I want to actually sleep some....

But I know this is all worth it cause next year this time, I WILL BE ONE SEXY MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Skinnyness is painful.... lol. Im hoping next Wednesday the left side will stop hurting so bad, fingers crossed ;)

Sorry if this is all TMI..... lol

I haven't had a BM yet, and I know that it is because I HAVE been taking the Lortab. I had too much pain not too, and apparently I've turned into a wuss, when I have always had great pain tolerance! I can't imagine having to cough all the time with this, bless your heart! I'm with you on the "easy way out" comments. Of course, no one has said that to me yet, and anyone that knows me knows better LOL... but there is NOTHING easy about this!!!

I understand completely. I was worried something was wrong with me because I never remember seeing anywhere in post about the pain that comes after surgery. I mean I know there would be pain, BUT OMG!!!! :blink:This stuff really hurts. I also have lovely post nasal drip right now and the coughing hurts so bad and I am in tears.... But it does get better except I dont think I have slept since I left the hospital on Friday. Im always afraid that I will cough and blow out my left side stitches. Also Water does not like me and I dont like it. Which is crazy since I loved it before surgery but now my tummy does not like it. It yells and burns afterwards telling me how terrible I am.... But I can drink Apple juice with no problems.... Its a light apple juice. And OMG have u went the bathroom yet???? I mean really went? I went today for the first time in a week, first time solid tar reminded me of the baby poop after the baby is born, 2nd time pure liquid out of both ends....

Thank goodness I didnt have a drain in, dont know how much more pain I can take. I swear if anyone every tells me that this is an easy way and I cheated, I will proceed to RIP their heads off.... lol.

I think I might try the liquid Loratab tonight (dont wanna cause it is horrible) but I want to actually sleep some....

But I know this is all worth it cause next year this time, I WILL BE ONE SEXY MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Skinnyness is painful.... lol. Im hoping next Wednesday the left side will stop hurting so bad, fingers crossed ;)

Sorry if this is all TMI..... lol