Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conflicting thoughts on VSG

I'm in the very beginning stages of my WLS journey (just getting ready to start my second month of the 6 month pre-op diet).

I'm having conflicting thoughts on the subject of the VSG. Sometimes I think to myself that I'm okay with the surgeon removing a majority of my stomach. After all, my complete stomach is bigger than it needs to be, right? With a complete stomach, I routinely get myself into trouble by over-filling it when I overeat. Hence, I'm morbidly obese.

Then sometimes I think to myself, "Am I nuts? I'm going to let them take out most of my stomach?"

I can tell you that the band and RNY are not right for me. VSG seems to be a good fit for me in that I need the restriction and the ghrelin decrease.

So, I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance and support from the community here. I'm scared, but I know I need to have surgery to ultimately save my life.

Any thoughts?

I'm in the very beginning stages of my WLS journey (just getting ready to start my second month of the 6 month pre-op diet).

I'm having conflicting thoughts on the subject of the VSG. Sometimes I think to myself that I'm okay with the surgeon removing a majority of my stomach. After all, my complete stomach is bigger than it needs to be, right? With a complete stomach, I routinely get myself into trouble by over-filling it when I overeat. Hence, I'm morbidly obese.

Then sometimes I think to myself, "Am I nuts? I'm going to let them take out most of my stomach?"

I can tell you that the band and RNY are not right for me. VSG seems to be a good fit for me in that I need the restriction and the ghrelin decrease.

So, I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance and support from the community here. I'm scared, but I know I need to have surgery to ultimately save my life.

Any thoughts?

Having a sleeve is without doubt the best thing I could ever have done for myself. I'm not sure where you are from but we have a programme here called Come Dine with Me. There's 4-5 people who all cook for each other a three course meal. When I watch that I sometimes think to myself that it's a shame I will never eat another 3 course meal ever! The benefits are amazing. It's only 6 weeks since my sleeve. I can eat anything, but much smaller amounts. About 5 mouthfuls and I'm done. I've had no problems at all, with the surgery, or eating all kinds of food since. It is truly amazing!

I know how you feel. When I first started looking into WLS I originally intended on doing the LapBand. I went to a consult with one doctor's office and a seminar from another doctor. Both places I could not get over the thought of having 85% of my stomach taken out. But I kept researching both the band and the sleeve and after much looking around I decided the sleeve was the best way to go. There was just to many problems with the band (slippage,throwing up,etc) and it seems that everyone is so dang HAPPY with the sleeve. So now my surgery date is set for August 1st and I have no regrets about my decision. Keep up on your reading and I think you will come to the same conclusion. Good luck!

I completely understand your fears.

I have just decided this week that I want to start this journey. I have always said I wouldn't do it while my kids were small because "what if" something happened. Well, "something" is going to happen if I don't do it!

I had never heard of VSG until I started researching and it seems like an appealing option. EXCEPT when I realize they are taking my stomach FOREVER! But then when I put in the con's list...the pro's are going to win every time.

I am realizing I have some mental issues right now because I keep thinking that I am going to miss "food". I know that sounds sad but I am sure I am not the only one who has thought that.

Good luck to you. Find peace in the words of others who have had this surgery without complaints. Remember all the "Pros" on your list.

When I ifrst started looking into VSG (about 3 years ago, but in a really serious sense - for about a year now) one of my larger concerns was the idea of permanance. I kept thinking, "But they'll be taking out 85% of my stomach, and it can't ever be put back."

That's actually not a major concern of mine any longer. I've come to realize -- so what? It's not like I'm at super high risk for some terrible medical complication 40 years from now, where -- darnit -- if I just had that other 85% of my stomach still, I'd be ok.

The whole "You are losing 85% of your stomach" part never bothered me. What had my stomach ever done for me except clamor for food, more, more, more, and hold ridiculous amounts of it? I was just afraid that I would still want massive amounts because I would be hungry, but I'm not. What a relief!

I can only speak for myself, but having the VSG one year ago was the best decision I've ever made. To date, I've lost 120 pounds and continue to lose weight (although much more slowly now).

I knew from the beginning that the band was not for me and I went for my initial consultation with the surgeon thinking I was going to have the RNY procedure. It was my surgeon who suggested the VNY and I will forever be gratful to him that he did.

I don't think I ever really focused on "having 85% of my stomach removed" although I was certainly aware of that fact. I just viewed this as the surgical procedure I needed to have to regain my health. I do notice that some people react strongly when I tell them exactly how much has been removed, but when they see the tremendous progress I have made.

To be honest, there are still days when I long to eat some of the things and the volume that I used to, but like a drug addict or an alcoholic, I realize that I was not capable of handling food in a responsible manner. I am just grateful that I found a tool that has made it possible for me to manage my particular addiction.

My advice is to do a lot of research and find out as much as you can about the procedure. You can certainly understand it without necessarily dwelling on the details.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Brian

Any thoughts?

I was like this from the first moment I'd heard about the Sleeve. I took over a year to decide to have my band removed and get the VSG... Now I can't imagine my life without it! Looking for reassurance... check out my photo albums. :) Heck, look at anyone's!!!

I was at a baby shower this weekend and there was an abundant buffet of all my favorite foods. I wasnt hungry, but I couldnt resist heading to the tables to get my grub on. As I made my plate (which could probably feed a small village) I began to talk myself out of pursuing the sleeve. I realized that I would no longer be able to eat to my heart's content (only my stomach's) and would probably have to give up some of the greasier/fried kibbles that were offered, and I was truly sad. I literally stopped in my tracks, looked at my plate and thought "what am I doing?...this is why I'm in this predicament now!"..... I handed the plate off to my hubby, and didnt even bother to eat. I know that I'll still have those greedy/fat brain issues, but if I try to fulfill them when I'm sleeved, my sleeve will definitely remind me that I am no longer capable of living that way. I CANT WAIT to have my surgery....hell, they can take 90% of my stomach if they want! LOL

I think we all have these thoughts. I keep thinking... why couldn't I just do this myself. Why do I have to have surgery to do this? Well I don't know why but I know I can't. I have tried many times. It has come down to the fact that I want to lose the weight. I am soooo tired of dragging it around. The weight makes me feel clumsy and unattractive (I am not looking for pretty...just not hard to look at). People assume because you are fat... you are stupid, even other heavy people think this. That part is all vanity. Being heavy is hard on your heart and joints. My family seems to be predisposed to high cholesterol, diabetes, and heart problems. It is in my best health interest to do this. No I don't want to give up some things but if that is the price I have to pay, then I am more than willing to pay it. I am an emotional eater. I felt like if no one else cared or felt like they had to go out fo their way to be nice to me, I would be nice to myself by treating myself with food. Now I am going to be nice to myself in a much better way. I am going to have this surgery and it will pay off in ways that will make me much happier than eating ever did. Think about why you want to have the surgery and make yourself a list. Write down all the good things it can do for you. Then keep looking at your list when you are starting to question yourself.

Khy

The other options have SO many drawbacks vs. the sleeve, the idea of having part of my stomach actually removed never really bothered me. I'm with Foxbins... what has my tummy ever done for me except help perpetuate this weight problem!?

I am at the end of the pre-op journey, but have been yellow-lighted by both the psychologist and the nutritionist, so I have to wait just a little longer to see if this is really going to happen. I am 100% behind the sleeve, though, because RNY and band have sooooo many drawbacks, and as stated above, most people seem so very happy (and successful!) with the sleeve option.

I felt the same way you did! I thought it and re-thought it a thousand times. I had gained and lost the same 100lbs ten times in 15 years. I could lose it, but could not keep it off. I had to do something to ensure that I would not regain and lose, regain and lose!!

Gastric bypass was never appealing to me, but this surgery was. I researched it for over a year and decided I would chat with my dr. He sent me to see my AWESOME surgeon and we decided it was a good fit for me!

I can not say enough good things about my sleeve. I would recommend this surgery to anyone that wants and needs restriction with food. This is the best gift I have ever been given in my entire 36 years!! :) I can have anything I want, I just have a smaller amount of it. If I want a cookie, I could have one, but I would eat one and not 10! I can have A piece of pizza and not 5. You will not get fat eating like that.

The insane thing about it is, it is almost like they operate on your stomach and it fixes your brain!! Weird, but true for me. I don't want to eat **** anymore. I eat on plan and I am good. I haven't had a fast-food, cookie, pie, cake, pizza, bread, rice....nothing since before my surgery and I really don't want to! I am sure I will, but at this time, I have not!

All you have to do is look at everyone's stats. This surgery works if you do what you are supposed to do! Now, you can't sit and eat bon-bon's all day and expect the weight to fall off. I have to work very hard for every pound I lose, but it is worth it and a lot easier now that I can only eat 2-3oz of Protein at a time!!

Good luck to you!

Kelly

I've come to realize -- so what? It's not like I'm at super high risk for some terrible medical complication 40 years from now, where -- darnit -- if I just had that other 85% of my stomach still, I'd be ok.

Wheetsin: your statement that I quoted above really hit home with me. You're absolutely right. That's exactly the kind of information/support/guidance I was looking for when I posted originally. Thanks so much for the insight!