Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so i am 10 weeks post op and I find that I am easily set off and get angry, I mean really really angry -

Is this normal? is this because all of the hormones being released into the body, or could there be something more to it??

Getting rather old actually, and it seems to happen at work and at home....

Thanks in advance for all of your responses.

Ok, so i am 10 weeks post op and I find that I am easily set off and get angry, I mean really really angry -

Is this normal? is this because all of the hormones being released into the body, or could there be something more to it??

Getting rather old actually, and it seems to happen at work and at home....

Thanks in advance for all of your responses.

I think hormones must be part of it... could it be carb or caffeine withdrawal? Life can be a piss off sometimes... and making big changes like we have stir the pot too... Perhaps a chat with the Doc? Good luck with that...

Never thought about carb withdrawl - hmmm I did mention it to my family DR on Friday, but they kinda ignored it like it was nothing - so if it doesnt get better, I will let them know that this definatly is an issue.

I think hormones must be part of it... could it be carb or caffeine withdrawal? Life can be a piss off sometimes... and making big changes like we have stir the pot too... Perhaps a chat with the Doc? Good luck with that...

Could be the carb withdrawal, hormones or just plain not reaching for something foody to deal with a stressor like possibly you used to. (I don't know if that is your situation, but I would certainly use sweets as a sort of quick fix or stress buster).

I just dont get it really - I am doing really well as far as weightloss is concerned, I am off of my blood pressure medicine as of Friday, I feel better then what I did before surgery, but emotionally - I am a wreck, I cry at the drop of a hat, I am never what you would call happy these days, I am always bored, and I get angry easily - I dont know what it is.. and its really not fun anymore....

Why cant I just be happy???

Don't let your Dr. just toss it off. I took Wellbutrin for a few years after my husband mentioned that I was never happy anymore and I realized he was right. Might be the surgery or any number of other things. The only thing for certain is you don't have to just live with it.

Lynda

I actually take Wellbutrin now for that reason....helps with being anxious or moody. Nothing strong or anything...sort of like if you were pmsing all month, this drug would help you level out. Helps me anyway.

When I was having similar feelings I did some research, and posted on this site. From what I found out, as you are losing weight, the fat cells that are going release their stores - including their stored estrogen. So you are I had a bunch of estrogen dumped into our bloodstreams all at once. Lose a bunch of weight - get a sudden dump of estrogen. It is like being a hormonal teen or a pregnant women with raging hormones. I was varying back and forth from being weepy to being really angry.

As my weight loss has slowed its rate (~3 pounds per week) the problem has lessened for me.

I hope this helps.

Sharon

You know, in reading the posts on this thread, I happened to realize that about 6-8 weeks out I felt really mad and up tight for a while. I just happened to think that I was in withdrawal from one of my biggest stress relievers...FOOD!!! No wonder I was so angry. food had been my best friend for a long, long, long time and my best friend was not around as much any more. Hmmmm...haven't felt that way for a while. Maybe it wasn't such a good friend after all??? Kathe

Thanks all, My hubby called Dr Nick this afternoon and he said, that this happens, when your having a stressful time in your life, in the past we would go to food for a stress reliever, and since having the surgery, he has taken that coping mechanism away, so we don't have a way to deal with stress, so it tends to make us really angry and depressed - he also stated that I really needed some help with it as it is really extreme for me, so I am going into my family DR in the AM and he stated that I needed to get on a quick release anti depressant for about a week or two and I should be ok...

I will keep you all posted

Thanks

I dealt with it for my entire losing stage, and even in maintenance, but during that time, it was isolated right around my ovulation week. As my weight loss slowed down, the moods leveled out.

I would use caution when going on anti-depressants. I went on Wellbutrin last summer to quit smoking, and it made me batsh*t crazy, and I had manic episodes. My mood swings were horrific on it, and while it was horrible to deal with my mood swings before, the Wellbutrin made it 100 times worse.

My surgeon made me wean off of it. He specifically told me that since I was not clinically depressed, had zero true depression issue, or chemical imbalance, anxiety issues then those type of drugs can actually make the mood swings worse.

I am so sorry to hear this Michelle! I myself have bee depressed for a couple of weeks- and I already take an anti -depressant for life long depression- but this is a new feeling- and I too have had bouts of anger. My doctor mentions in his seminars that often people who have never been depressed before suffer from it as the fat cells do dump hormones as mentioned above. Short term use of an anti depressant is not unusual and is normal for losing weight at such a fast pace. Hope it works out for you!

With all this talk about depression I think I will be doubling up on my Wellbutrin.....this particular medicine has done wonders for me. Everyone is different.... B)

I was on a mild anti-depressant but it was keeping me from sleeping so I went off it and yah, I've been really cranky and frustrated, especially at work.

I am sleeping better though. And I am capable of being happy. Work's just been really stressful and it's wearing on me.