Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved and more confused than ever!

I'm 3 days post sleeve and feeling TONS better! I'm so happy to be sleeved, but I feel so confused. So many capsules and Vitamins to take, supplements to drink, fluids and proteins! It's a little overwhelming. My first thought was to just stay hydrated. I've not drunk 48 oz, but I definitely feel good about my intake. I ate a WHOLE yogurt a little while ago (6 oz) and then I thought was that too much!?! Should I have been physically able to do that? I've read of people only taking in 3-6 tablespoons, and I ate the whole thing! I ate a whole sf Jello this morning too. I'm sipping all day..water, ice chips, Protein Shake, Tomato Soup. How do you know if it's too much? I know I've read it all before, but then I can't remember where or what I've read. The dr gave me some guidelines, but I don't feel like it answers everything.

Just tune into YOUR body. Stop worrying about what others do or don't do and listen to your bodiy's clues If you listen for full it will tell you. The first few days are doing what you can, not about what your "supposed" to do so much. Go slow, check in mentally with your new tummy and go from there. These days are about hydration, not protien.

sounds all good to me! I was able to start in to things besides Jello also very early. Just keep up the good work and sip and walk and sip and walk! I didn't start Vitamins for a couple of weeks. sounds as if you are most fortunate!

I'm 3 days post sleeve and feeling TONS better! I'm so happy to be sleeved, but I feel so confused. So many capsules and vitamins to take, supplements to drink, fluids and proteins! It's a little overwhelming. My first thought was to just stay hydrated. I've not drunk 48 oz, but I definitely feel good about my intake. I ate a WHOLE yogurt a little while ago (6 oz) and then I thought was that too much!?! Should I have been physically able to do that? I've read of people only taking in 3-6 tablespoons, and I ate the whole thing! I ate a whole sf jello this morning too. I'm sipping all day..water, ice chips, Protein Shake, Tomato Soup. How do you know if it's too much? I know I've read it all before, but then I can't remember where or what I've read. The dr gave me some guidelines, but I don't feel like it answers everything.

You have to take it in small steps. Don't overwhelm yourself. It is important to get fluids, Vitamins, and follow dr's nutrition guidelines. I would also advise that you walk for exercise each hr. :DRonda

It is overwhelming at first, just first and foremost try to stay hydrated. Then all the rest will follow as you get further out. Get Protein where you can, but it may take a while to get the amount you are shooting for. It takes a while to adjust to everything but it does get easier as you relax and as the swelling goes down in your new sleeve.

:)

Thanks so much! Everyone's input is so helpful and so encouraging. I'm really pleased with my progress and my sleeve, and I was the one who posted as soon as I got home about how horrible it was! Well...I'm a little embarrassed about that now, because I feel fabulous! I look forward to every day because I know how great things are going to be from here. I just want to make sure I do everything right.

Thanks again!!

I am just 1 day post-op, so it's nice to hear that it will get better. I am up 7 lbs from surgery date, feel bloated and stomach swollen feeling on left side. I was told to start my Vitamins from day 1 so I will try today, plus I start Isopure today too. I was told first 3 days Clear Liquids, then full liquids starting day 4-14.

Hi My,

The first couple of days are tough, but concentrate on getting your fluids in. Everything else will come, don't worry. I remember when I started taking Calcium. I bought these delicious little chewy things from bariatricadvantage.com but they filled me up and then I couldn't eat! So now I eat them on the 45 minute drive home from work. They are like a little candy style snack...and I get my Calcium in for the day...lol

I am just 1 day post-op, so it's nice to hear that it will get better. I am up 7 lbs from surgery date, feel bloated and stomach swollen feeling on left side. I was told to start my Vitamins from day 1 so I will try today, plus I start Isopure today too. I was told first 3 days clear liquids, then full liquids starting day 4-14.

Hi My,

The first couple of days are tough, but concentrate on getting your fluids in. Everything else will come, don't worry. I remember when I started taking Calcium. I bought these delicious little chewy things from bariatricadvantage.com but they filled me up and then I couldn't eat! So now I eat them on the 45 minute drive home from work. They are like a little candy style snack...and I get my calcium in for the day...lol

Thanks :) I did good with the fluids today, but I have serious doubts as to whether the rest will come together or not! lol

Yogurt goes down easy; when you begin to eat dense Protein it will be much different. That overwhelming feeling will go away soon. It took me about 3 weeks to feel "normal" again. It will be second nature to you before too long. Drinking should be much easier by 4 weeks out. I have been able to gulp fluids since 5 weeks out. I know it seems like a full time job right now but I promise it does get easier. I am still a stickler about getting my fluids and protein in but know I am a much healthier person now in doing so; it's worth every bit of energy! I love my sleeve!

Yogurt goes down easy; when you begin to eat dense Protein it will be much different. That overwhelming feeling will go away soon. It took me about 3 weeks to feel "normal" again. It will be second nature to you before too long. Drinking should be much easier by 4 weeks out. I have been able to gulp fluids since 5 weeks out. I know it seems like a full time job right now but I promise it does get easier. I am still a stickler about getting my fluids and Protein in but know I am a much healthier person now in doing so; it's worth every bit of energy! I love my sleeve!

I've been tolerating yogurt very well too. That's how I've been taking my PPI and gallstone prevention meds they gave me. That's the only meds I've been able to get down. I'm scared to chew a flintstone's Vitamin and I haven't tried to drink the Calcium citrate yet either. It does feel like a full time job for sure! I have another 3 full weeks off before school starts (I'm a teacher) so I'm hoping it will be easier then. I dread trying to do all of this while doing teacher inservice and once the students start....hectic!!

Thanks for your encouragement and advice. I really appreciate it!

Hello All! I am new to this site and find it very helpful! I had my gastric sleeve on 7/13/2011...so I'm 4 days post-op. (NOTE: I also had gall bladder taken out at the same time). I am experiencing many of the same things I've been reading. My starting weight was 343.....on my sugery date I weighed 325. But I'm very puzzeled, because I've had nothing but clear fluids and I'm actually up to 332..so I've GAINED 7lbs!!! Is that due to all the fluids they pumped into me during my hospital stay in conjunction with the swelling? Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated..don't want to get "down" before I even get started good!

Hello All! I am new to this site and find it very helpful! I had my gastric sleeve on 7/13/2011...so I'm 4 days post-op. (NOTE: I also had gall bladder taken out at the same time). I am experiencing many of the same things I've been reading. My starting weight was 343.....on my sugery date I weighed 325. But I'm very puzzeled, because I've had nothing but clear fluids and I'm actually up to 332..so I've GAINED 7lbs!!! Is that due to all the fluids they pumped into me during my hospital stay in conjunction with the swelling? Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated..don't want to get "down" before I even get started good!

Yup, that would be due to the swelling and fluids from the hospital. It happens to everyone. That's one reason why I'm not weighing myself until Tuesday - one week out.

By the way, congratulations on getting your sleeve!

Yup, that would be due to the swelling and fluids from the hospital. It happens to everyone. That's one reason why I'm not weighing myself until Tuesday - one week out.

By the way, congratulations on getting your sleeve!

Thank you so much! And thanks for this info...it REALLY helps to have others to aks these types of questions too to keep yourself grounded and focused......and not distracted by the scale. Much to early for that, right? : )

weight.png