Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of hearing you don't look that big to need surgery!

This is exactly why I am not telling hardly anyone. All those things you have said...I can hear my friends and family saying. I have told 3 people. My husband (who is supportive of whatever decision I have made because he has seen how my weight has devastated me throughout our 18 years together and how hard I've tried and struggled to lose and gain and lose and gain), Told my BFF of 25 years who had Lap band about a year ago, and told a really good friend who is the same size as me....she said she loved me the way I am...and I told her "This is for ME" no one else but me. So, If a really close friend disagreed I can't imagine what my thin friends who don't understand would say. So, I'm just gonna keep it to myself and these 3.

That doesn't help you much with your problem sorry! The others had excellent advice!!! This is for you and your health....it doesn't matter what everyone else things!!! We will always be here to listen too!!! ((hugs)) We are always here...vent away!!!

Three days will be a breeze! I had to do 7 days full liquid and no food and I didn't have a problem. My biggest issue was that I really missed chewing. Sound strange, but when you are there you will know exactly what I mean. I got some sugar free gum to chomp away on when I felt like that. I had my surgery Monday and am doing great. Please don't let people question your decision to have the surgery. A lot of my friends said the same thing to me about it being too drastic, heck even the ICU nurse that I had post surgery said that to me when I was being released, my comeback to most people is that I probably weigh more than you think I do and that I have tried "Fat and Happy" for a while now and now I want to be Fit Happy and Healthy. Good luck Momma!

that is a good idea! I think I will go by some sugar free gum. Thank you for all the well wishes ;)

I am only telling select people that I went through with the surgery. My BMI was under 40 so I heard allll kinds of things. Just diet and exercise being my least favorite! I walked 4 miles a dy right up until surgery and didn't lose any weight except on the Medifast diet.

You are doing whta is right for YOU and that is the important thing!!

Blessings!

While much of it does stem from concern for your well-being, they are only going by what they have heard through the media and the grapevine about their cousins husbands sister. I found when I told them that I was doing this surgery for my health and pain, and it will ease and possibly cure these problems, they do sort of shut up. I reckon they all think of weight loss surgery as being like cosmetic surgery, and it comes from ignorance, so just try to look over it. We can't control what people say to us, but we can control how we let it affect us. I have a big problem with letting people get to me emotionally, but I have been working on this for a while now, and it's helping so much. I tend to be a people pleaser and need others approval, but not so much anymore. I think about myself, my family, my health, etc. A good response is, I have done yrs of research and know this is right for me and all my health issues. I am not seeking anyones approval but I would appreaciate your support. You don't even have to say it hateful, but they usually get it when you say that lol.

Don't worry, you have hubbys support and you know your reasons for doing it. You have educated yourself, they haven't. Take care of you!

:)

I hear ya. Even the nurse that took me back to get me ready for surgery said you don't look like you are big enough for this surgery. I'm 5'7" and weighed 239. When I told her my weight she said well you don't look like it. Are you kiddin me, I'm 100 lbs overweight. Only I know how fat and unhealthy I felt at that weight.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me just this past Wednesday at my first bariatric group meeting. Im 5'7" and weigh 234...The MA said, "wow you are tiny.." I was like, "seriously, youve got to be kidding??" I realize I was the smallest of everyone there, but still like you...IM 100lbs OVERWEIGHT!

While much of it does stem from concern for your well-being, they are only going by what they have heard through the media and the grapevine about their cousins husbands sister. I found when I told them that I was doing this surgery for my health and pain, and it will ease and possibly cure these problems, they do sort of shut up. I reckon they all think of weight loss surgery as being like cosmetic surgery, and it comes from ignorance, so just try to look over it. We can't control what people say to us, but we can control how we let it affect us. I have a big problem with letting people get to me emotionally, but I have been working on this for a while now, and it's helping so much. I tend to be a people pleaser and need others approval, but not so much anymore. I think about myself, my family, my health, etc. A good response is, I have done yrs of research and know this is right for me and all my health issues. I am not seeking anyones approval but I would appreaciate your support. You don't even have to say it hateful, but they usually get it when you say that lol.

Don't worry, you have hubbys support and you know your reasons for doing it. You have educated yourself, they haven't. Take care of you!

:)

thanks kelly you are right I am going to take care of me and you offered some good suggestions as to what to say in your responces to people. I am a people pleaser and I do let people get to me not no more I am going to be strong! Thank you for your support! ;)

I hear the same thing all the time too!! it so annoying. Im only 5"2 and my BMI is 38 but I have really bad back pain and I even broke my ankle and couldnt walk for 3 months :(. Those people dont know what theyre talking about. I now was told by my Doctor that my ankle will never be the same again so I cant do cardio like I use to. You do what you have to do for yourself only .

I hear the same thing all the time too!! it so annoying. Im only 5"2 and my BMI is 38 but I have really bad back pain and I even broke my ankle and couldnt walk for 3 months :(. Those people dont know what theyre talking about. I now was told by my Doctor that my ankle will never be the same again so I cant do cardio like I use to. You do what you have to do for yourself only .

that is true we are the ones who have to live in our bodies good luck to you sweetie ;)

Oh believe me I know exactly what you are feeling. Only a few people really knew that I was having surgery but I heard it a ton and even now when I see my weight loss ticker I sort of feel like a poser compared to people who have lost such an astounding amount of weight compared to what I have lost. People would always tell me I wasn't "that big" when I was on a diet or complaining about my weight but they sure as heck come at me with tons of compliments now when they see me. Especially people who never knew me when I wasn't overweight. I want to say to them "THIS IS THE REAL ME" I was trapped for about 7 years in a body that didnt feel like me. It was horrible. I only wish I had done it sooner. So congrats to you for doing this FOR YOU.

I totally understand! SO many people said to me that I didn't look big enough for WLS. Really? I weighed 286! I look at my before pics and I think to myself~ What liars!!! THIS IS ABOUT YOU!!! I am so glad I had my sleeve and I only wish I had it sooner. You will do amazing. GOOD LUCK!!!!

I totally understand! SO many people said to me that I didn't look big enough for WLS. Really? I weighed 286! I look at my before pics and I think to myself~ What liars!!! THIS IS ABOUT YOU!!! I am so glad I had my sleeve and I only wish I had it sooner. You will do amazing. GOOD LUCK!!!!

thank you becca :)

Oh believe me I know exactly what you are feeling. Only a few people really knew that I was having surgery but I heard it a ton and even now when I see my weight loss ticker I sort of feel like a poser compared to people who have lost such an astounding amount of weight compared to what I have lost. People would always tell me I wasn't "that big" when I was on a diet or complaining about my weight but they sure as heck come at me with tons of compliments now when they see me. Especially people who never knew me when I wasn't overweight. I want to say to them "THIS IS THE REAL ME" I was trapped for about 7 years in a body that didnt feel like me. It was horrible. I only wish I had done it sooner. So congrats to you for doing this FOR YOU.

thanks sweetie the most important thing is I think I will feel better and I won't be tired and sore all the time congrats on all your weight loss and I love your skull and tinkerbell ticker it is so cute ;)