Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Itchy rash after surgery

I'm so glad to see your post. I thought I was the only one with a rash after surgery. I am a bit allergic about coming in contact with things so I shouldn't be surprised.

I was banded on May 20. I developed an absolutely awful rash on my chest and neck that was not only very painful but itched and had bumps with clear Fluid. The rash came out the day I came home from the hospital (May 21). I almost went to the emergency room. I initially thought I had shingles. I talked to my internist and dermatologist the day the rash came out. I took over the counter things but they didn't touch the pain or itching.

I had to go to the dermatologist several times afterwards. I had to put on a steriod cream several times a day and take pills two or three times a day. My doctors thought it was the antibiotic that was given to me in my IV. I requested the hospital records and the antibiotic was the same one I was given many times in the past.

A doctor friend suggested I might have developed an allergic reaction to the band itself! I have had one other break out a few weeks later but not as severe but I still had to return to the dermatologist. She thinks my body may be getting used to the band so that is why the rash was not as severe as the first time.

I really don't know if that is true or not but I have never had a rash like that before. I'm going to avoid taking antibiotics just in case it was that. If its the band, hopefully my body is getting used to it because I have no desire to take it out at this point.

How are you doing now?

I also had this problem after surgery, about 3 days after, and I was so very, very miserable. I broke out in a rash first on my hands, then hives and a rash all over, especially on my legs and I itched so badly I had broken the skin. I tried everything, cortisone cream, anti-itch cream, Benadryl capsules, and I could not sleep for 2 weeks or eat because I was so miserable. Finally, my doctor prescribed Atarax and prednisone to calm all of this down and it worked. Finally, after 2 months this has become a bad memory. No blood tests showed anything, except that every time I took Percocet this would produce the itching again. I am just happy I am not itching anymore.

I think you are all just great to go through the lap band surgery and have such success. Being in the medical field, I do know how very hard this surgery is and what you have to overcome, so I think you are truly very brave. Keep up the good work, and take care.:rolleyes2:

Hello: I had an itchy rash on my stomach and around the stiches i used benadryl cream for about a week and it stopped itching but Man was it itchy!!!!! Maybe youcould try that?? Good Luck, Andrea:redface:

Yes, it did go away. Thank goodness. It came out the day after surgery when I got home. It was absolutely horrible. It was so painful. I recall getting into the shower just to have the Water pound on the blisters that were filled with Fluid. I even called my internist to find out if I should go to the emergency room. He discouraged me to go to the emergency. I went to see my dermatologist the following day and I saw her for weeks. She gave me a spray to put on the rash along with medication (stronger than Benadryl). Don't full around with it. If its the same thing I had. A very close friend has a friend who is a doctor and she suspected that the rash was because my body was reacting to the lapband. I saw my internist, bariatric surgeon and my dermatologist and that was the only thing that seemed to fit (reaction to the lapband). I get rashes for almost the smallest of things so I guess that could be it.

Since that first harsh reaction, I have had it two more times. Much more subtle but the same area (on my chest) and small blisters filled with clear liquid.

When did your rash come out and where is it? Have you seen a doctor yet? When did you have the lapband procedure?