Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG ! Dr. Huacuz arrested in TJ

In my opinion the idea of going to Mexico to have surgery is scary - I don't know anything about the drs. being talked about here because I knew I was never going to Mexico so I didn't do any research on them.

However in my opinion just because some does more surgeries a month than another surgeon does not mean that they are better. Even if he does work 6 days a week he is still doing 6 surgeries a day.

I had my surgery in MN, and my surgeon does more sleeves than anyone in MN, and he only does 2 sometimes 3 per day, and the procedure takes a little less than 2 hours.

Like I said, ask your surgeon how many SLEEVES he has done and then do the math. Dr. Almanza has done many more sleeves than Dr. Aceves and he will tell you that. These surgeries take about one hour to complete and he works 6 days a week, not 5. If you do not believe he does 145 a month, I ask all the people on the forum that has had surgery there to post how many people had their surgery the same day as them. The math is not that hard. I hate to break this to you but Dr. Aceves was not doing sleeves in 1986. I talked to your surgeon along with several others and yes, experience is important to me. I would not call it an assembly line, I would call it being efficient and making money.

As far as how I know about the coordinators, it was simple, I asked. I talked to 3 coordinators from different surgeons and was told the same thing. There are people on this forum that will tell you the same thing. The competition for these surgeries has been tough and they get paid by the number of surgeries they book. Like I have said in all of my posts, I do not bash any surgeons because we do not know all the facts.

First, I never said Dr. Aceves has been doing sleeves since 1986. The "sleeve" wasn't even being done then. If you will READ what I said, that is when he started his surgical career. Probably about the time almanza was in grade school. What I DID say was he has been doing the sleeve for many years. He has overall more surgical experience than almanza by about 20 years. So, you don't have to "break" anything to me. I am fully aware of the vast experience and impeccable reputation of my own surgeon, thanks. And if you will also read, I never argued almazna does 145 sleeves a month. Probably does more than that.That proves my point. He is an assembly line surgeon. And as stated above, he would STILL be doing 6 a day. "The math is not that hard" ? CORRECT. Clearly, it's not safe to do that many. Have you heard horror stories about Dr. Aceves? Nah, I didn't think so. Not even from these phantom coordinators you keep talking about. There is no way a coordinator told you that they themselves came here and bad mouthed another surgeon and if they told you another coordinator did it, then that is nothing but heresay.

Lastly, you keep talking about not 'bashing' another surgeon, but the very first post you made here said that your surgeon was more experienced than ANY other surgeon. When you say that, you ARE bashing all the other surgeons. Anyway, there is no possible way for you to know that, so that is why several people jumped on your post. You can't just make blanket statements like that just because you 'think' it and as you already stated, you don't really know that.

Now, I'm done. Thanks for listening and take caresmile.gif

First, I never said Dr. Aceves has been doing sleeves since 1986. The "sleeve" wasn't even being done then. If you will READ what I said, that is when he started his surgical career. Probably about the time Almanza was in grade school. What I DID say was he has been doing the sleeve for many years. He has overall more surgical experience than almanza by about 20 years. So, you don't have to "break" anything to me. I am fully aware of the vast experience and impeccable reputation of my own surgeon, thanks. And if you will also read, I never argued almazna does 145 sleeves a month. Probably does more than that.That proves my point. He is an assembly line surgeon. And as stated above, he would STILL be doing 6 a day. "The math is not that hard" ? CORRECT. Clearly, it's not safe to do that many. Have you heard horror stories about Dr. Aceves? Nah, I didn't think so. Not even from these phantom coordinators you keep talking about. There is no way a coordinator told you that they themselves came here and bad mouthed another surgeon and if they told you another coordinator did it, then that is nothing but heresay.

Lastly, you keep talking about not 'bashing' another surgeon, but the very first post you made here said that your surgeon was more experienced than ANY other surgeon. When you say that, you ARE bashing all the other surgeons. Anyway, there is no possible way for you to know that, so that is why several people jumped on your post. You can't just make blanket statements like that just because you 'think' it and as you already stated, you don't really know that.

Now, I'm done. Thanks for listening and take caresmile.gif

I apoligize if I offended anyone but I do deal in facts and not hearsay. If you would ask your coordinator, Dr. Kelly's coordinator ( Trish) and any other coordinator, they WILL tell you that this DOES go on. Saying that Dr. Almanza has more experience is not bashing any other surgeon in any way. You can look back at my posts from day 1, I have never said anything negative about ANY other surgeon. There is a reason for that, there is no way we could know the facts if we are not there. You say that doing 5 to 6 surgeries a day is clearly not safe, what is a safe number according to you and how did you arrive at this number? We all feel our surgeons are qualified and competent or we would not have used them. Why would you bash a surgeon you have not met or know the facts about? I hope everyone does their research and chooses their surgeon based on facts and not what someone on a forum says about them.

These surgeries take about one hour to complete and he works 6 days a week, not 5. If you do not believe he does 145 a month, I ask all the people on the forum that has had surgery there to post how many people had their surgery the same day as them. The math is not that hard. I hate to break this to you but Dr. Aceves was not doing sleeves in 1986. I talked to your surgeon along with several others and yes, experience is important to me. I would not call it an assembly line, I would call it being efficient and making money.

Oh, I believe you. And in all honesty, I am horrified. While you seem to consider it a plus, your 145/month freaks me out more than anything else. 145 is about 6 surgeries per day on every day he works. Say he's taking Sundays off, I do not want to be his Saturdays surgery, after he has slaved in the operating room for 6 days straight. Mass does not equal class in any way, shape or form.

Is it even legal in the US to do something as tiresome and demanding as internal surgery for 6 hours on 6 days a week - week after week?

Not sure, check this: http://healthcareers...surgeonjobs.htm

The case load can vary, based on the type and complexity of surgeries performed, and can be anywhere from 150 per year up to 500 or more. The average is about 300-400 surgeries annually.

There is a reason why surgeons in the US don't do more - and I am pretty sure if hospitals would feel comfortable in having them do more, they would just to save money. But they don't, and they probably know why.

To simplify: Just because someone bakes a thousand bread loaves a week doesn't mean his loaves are good or better than someone who just does 50, takes there time for preparation, education, service and simply rest to recharge.

McDonald's has sold >100 billion beef-based hamburgers worldwide. Does that make them very good at it? Is a McDonald's burger better than the one they make at the restaurant down the street? I certainly don't think so.

Oh, I believe you. And in all honesty, I am horrified. While you seem to consider it a plus, your 145/month freaks me out more than anything else. 145 is about 6 surgeries per day on every day he works. Say he's taking Sundays off, I do not want to be his Saturdays surgery, after he has slaved in the operating room for 6 days straight. Mass does not equal class in any way, shape or form.

Is it even legal in the US to do something as tiresome and demanding as internal surgery for 6 hours on 6 days a week - week after week?

Not sure, check this: http://healthcareers...surgeonjobs.htm

There is a reason why surgeons in the US don't do more - and I am pretty sure if hospitals would feel comfortable in having them do more, they would just to save money. But they don't, and they probably know why.

To simplify: Just because someone bakes a thousand bread loaves a week doesn't mean his loaves are good or better than someone who just does 50, takes there time for preparation, education, service and simply rest to recharge.

McDonald's has sold >100 billion beef-based hamburgers worldwide. Does that make them very good at it? Is a McDonald's burger better than the one they make at the restaurant down the street? I certainly don't think so.

I agree, just because he does a lot of surgeries does not automatically make him a great surgeon. I chose him for many reasons and one is communication. Him and his staff takes time to answer ALL of your questions and makes sure you understand everything. It is very hard to compare surgeries in the U.S. to surgeries in Mexico, regardless of who the surgeon is. Self-pay opposed to insurance hoops has a lot to do with the number of surgeries performed. It is always a great thing that we have the freedom to choose who we want to do our surgeries. It is sad but there will be a lot of people scared to go to Dr. Kelly now since he had a death. Anytime you have ANY surgery, there is risk and things can happen. That does not make him a bad surgeon. There are a lot of people on this forum that has used Dr. Almanza and is very happy with the procedure including me. I tell people to do their research and make their decision based on that. When people bash Doctors on forums not knowing the facts, that is just irresponsible, this is done a lot on here. I appreciate your post, you simply stated that you are not comfortable with someone that does that many surgeries every day and would not go to them. There are many reasons people choose to use or not use a surgeon. It is their body so all we can do is hope they did their research.

Have a great day

Just a quick question, what IS their complication rate? Done any research in that area? This whole GROUP of doctors I mean. What is their death toll? I'm curious to see.

I actually got an email from a friend of mine (and THAT is the group I was talking about in my videos) and she was telling me some of the things that were going on where SHE was. I was shocked and horrified and yet, she seemed to be ok with the whole experience. Call me spoiled because I went to Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos where in the midst of my anesthesia / withdrawls he spent about 1 1/2 HOURS in my room eye to eye with me trying to get me to come out of it so that he could help me. THAT is hands on, THAT is a caring and concerned doctor. Even after my rough and rocky start, I still wouldn't hesitate to send anyone there. I had extenuating circumstances and I was very honest about that and up front. I told everyone that yes, I had a doctor induced (and suggested) dependency to narcotics. Most people with painful illnesses that are prescribed narcotics are the same way so by no means does this make me a drug addict...please...I've already been slammed enough on this.

At any rate, I wouldn't send anyone to Dr. Kelly or Almanza based on what I've heard, what I've read and what I've researched on my own. That's my opinion. It doesn't seem safe to me. They are not (apparently) the only ones that use a 'recovery house' and like I said before, that thought terrifies me. I'm clarifying here a bit because when I'm angry, rarely do I make sense...sorry. My fingers type faster than my brain processes apparently. At any rate, no, I wouldn't send anyone to your group of doctors either. That is my opinion only. YES people have come back from there just fine. What about the ones that don't? It scares me.

Now, I WAS talking about your group of doctors when I said that my friend was there and they didn't check vital signs on any of the patients at night and my friend was actually helping people get up and walk because the nurse was watching t.v.....wow. I'm absolutely sure that the nurse would have gotten up had she / he been asked but my friend is very shy and didn't ask. She also told me the house smelled to high heaven like food (for the staff) and that it was nauseating to some. To me, that's really not a problem except that the people in that house that were recovering just had wls. I mean, my friend that went with me had a bag of chips with her when they wheeled me back to my room and Dr. Aceves wasn't thrilled with that. He was polite, but still, he wasn't too happy and he did let her know and also told her that he has performed MANY revised RNY's because people have gained their weight back and she needed to be more careful about what she was eating.

Hope this clarifies my statement a bit. Still, for the record, no...I wouldn't go to this group of doctors. Sorry, just my opinion and what I feel comfortable with.

Renee`

Can't we all just agree to disagree? Everyone will believe that their doctor is the best. And you know what they were the best for you! Everyone decided on their doctor for their own specific reasons and made the best informed decision for them. Even if I think your reasons are wrong those are my feelings and should refrain from spouting off my beliefs. I say just post the facts and leave out the "my doctor is better because they do more or do less surgeries".

Just know that you made the right decision for the criteria you were looking for, based on the facts you found. And allow the new comers to look at the facts and form their own decisions on whom they feel is best for them.

And yes every surgery has a complication and death rate. Some more than others and yes it may scare some people off from a surgeon for a little while but it will become old news (unless the deaths continue) and it will be forgotten.

I had surgery 8 days ago and Dr Almanza & his staff was by far Excellent in my book!! Servano took excellent care of me at the guest house and was prompt with everything...it's not about price because I didn't pay $8,000 & I received top of the line care so for people to get on here and try to downplay a dr is straight bull****!! Just to let everyone know DEATHS can happen with any surgery and any surgeon it's just that persons time to go..this post is somewhat shocking!!

Oh & let me add this I flew back home Saturday & was put in the hospital on July 4 & got out yesterday and I have pneumonia & blood clots but do u think I'm blaming Dr Almanza?? Hell No I'm not because I know with any major surgery there are risks involved!!!

You can get mad at me all you want but there are some doctors that have had more deaths than others and THAT can't be refuted or pushed aside. People should be afraid of some surgeons. There are butchers everywhere, especially where I live (las vegas).

Just a quick question, what IS their complication rate? Done any research in that area? This whole GROUP of doctors I mean. What is their death toll? I'm curious to see.

I actually got an email from a friend of mine (and THAT is the group I was talking about in my videos) and she was telling me some of the things that were going on where SHE was. I was shocked and horrified and yet, she seemed to be ok with the whole experience. Call me spoiled because I went to Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos where in the midst of my anesthesia / withdrawls he spent about 1 1/2 HOURS in my room eye to eye with me trying to get me to come out of it so that he could help me. THAT is hands on, THAT is a caring and concerned doctor. Even after my rough and rocky start, I still wouldn't hesitate to send anyone there. I had extenuating circumstances and I was very honest about that and up front. I told everyone that yes, I had a doctor induced (and suggested) dependency to narcotics. Most people with painful illnesses that are prescribed narcotics are the same way so by no means does this make me a drug addict...please...I've already been slammed enough on this.

At any rate, I wouldn't send anyone to Dr. Kelly or Almanza based on what I've heard, what I've read and what I've researched on my own. That's my opinion. It doesn't seem safe to me. They are not (apparently) the only ones that use a 'recovery house' and like I said before, that thought terrifies me. I'm clarifying here a bit because when I'm angry, rarely do I make sense...sorry. My fingers type faster than my brain processes apparently. At any rate, no, I wouldn't send anyone to your group of doctors either. That is my opinion only. YES people have come back from there just fine. What about the ones that don't? It scares me.

Now, I WAS talking about your group of doctors when I said that my friend was there and they didn't check vital signs on any of the patients at night and my friend was actually helping people get up and walk because the nurse was watching t.v.....wow. I'm absolutely sure that the nurse would have gotten up had she / he been asked but my friend is very shy and didn't ask. She also told me the house smelled to high heaven like food (for the staff) and that it was nauseating to some. To me, that's really not a problem except that the people in that house that were recovering just had wls. I mean, my friend that went with me had a bag of chips with her when they wheeled me back to my room and Dr. Aceves wasn't thrilled with that. He was polite, but still, he wasn't too happy and he did let her know and also told her that he has performed MANY revised RNY's because people have gained their weight back and she needed to be more careful about what she was eating.

Hope this clarifies my statement a bit. Still, for the record, no...I wouldn't go to this group of doctors. Sorry, just my opinion and what I feel comfortable with.

Renee`

Not a problem at all. I respect your opinion. I appreciate all your honesty. I am just glad we are all doing well.

Can't we all just agree to disagree? Everyone will believe that their doctor is the best. And you know what they were the best for you! Everyone decided on their doctor for their own specific reasons and made the best informed decision for them. Even if I think your reasons are wrong those are my feelings and should refrain from spouting off my beliefs. I say just post the facts and leave out the "my doctor is better because they do more or do less surgeries".

Just know that you made the right decision for the criteria you were looking for, based on the facts you found. And allow the new comers to look at the facts and form their own decisions on whom they feel is best for them.

And yes every surgery has a complication and death rate. Some more than others and yes it may scare some people off from a surgeon for a little while but it will become old news (unless the deaths continue) and it will be forgotten.

I agree. I think it has got out of hand a little.Like I said, I apoligize if I offended anyone. I think the most important thing is that we all have had our surgery and I hope everyone continues to do well.

I believe the statistic is 1 in 100 ends up with a leak. There are complications to ANY procedure.Kanye Wests mom died from the anaesthesia on the table. It's all in how you handle the recovery, how diligent you are with your prescribed medications/care/nutrition and how your body reacts with the trauma and if any comorbidities are already in place. I work with internal medicine and any internal surgery is considered major trauma to the body. My best advice I could give would be to make sure if you're going to Mexico (as I did) that you have aftercare set up and trusted people are around you the first three 3-4weeks as this is the opportune time for complications. Us "out of towners" have a bit more at risk since some Doctors and hospitals CAN refuse treatment as it is considered a liability. Surgery is risky business. Be diligent in your researching. Ask the difficult questions. Get personal referrals from previous patients. There are NO stupid questions. This is your temple, worship and respect it.

How do you know dr kelly had a death? nd the fact that dr Almanza does so many is scary thats why he has lots of infections. 145 surgeries a month is the reason not to go to him

I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but I'm not sure I wouldn't go on holiday in Mexico, so you can imagine how I feel about having surgery there. Just MHO. The crime rate is bad in some areas, due to the cartels.