Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Site and Newly Sleeved

Hi everyone! I have been overweight my entire life and have thought about having weight loss surgery many times throughout the years but my insurance didn't cover it. I then found out that United Healthcare started covering WLS again and I decided that it was time to make a major change in my life. Years of weight loss and gain can finally come to an end. I became sleeved on June 22, 2011 in Baton Rouge. I wasn't a good candidate for the Band because of GERD and I felt the bypass was just too much of a risk for me. So I decided on the Sleeve. A lot of research went in to my final decision and I feel I have made the right choice. I began the process back in March of this year and it felt like the never ending journey with all of the appointments, tests, procedures, sometimes 3 or 4 a day, and then finally came the approval. YES! My highest recorded weight was 345 pounds and my weight at the start of my journey was 280 pounds. I began the diet my nutritionist put me on in late April and I was 258 pounds on the day of surgery. I weighed today and I am now at 245 pounds. I have a long way to go but this is a wonderful start and I know I am on a new path to a healthy new me. I am still having pain on my left side though when I move and I am still swollen. I'm not sure if this is common but any feedback would be helpful. The low grade fever and constant restroom business have stopped thankfully and I'm looking forward to brighter days. I'm on a full liquid diet for another week and then a week of soft foods. I don't really know anyone close to me that has had this surgery so I searched the internet for answers to my questions and thankfully I found this site today. I would also like to say thank you to everyone who has posted on a variety of topics. I've spent a lot of time reading and the knowledge I gained today was priceless. I look forward to following all of you on your journeys as I embark on mine. I'm excited to see where my new "sleeved" life takes me.

Welcome and glad to you are progressing nicely. I haven't had my surgery yet, less than a month away, but it is encouraging to hear from folks who are doing well. Everyone on this forum has been very helpful. No matter what it is some one has experienced it and are willing to share it.

Good luck to you! I had my surgery on April 26, 2011 here in NJ. No pre-diet required for me so my top weight was my surgery weight. I have now lost 47 lbs. - today was nine weeks from surgery. I also did a lot of research and have no regrets thus far. I really had no pain, no major issues. I'm now on regular foods - trying different things to see what works. I still cannot eat very much and am not all that hungry. I am trying to keep my Protein going and need to start getting some more exercise. Feel free to ask questions - lots of people here have answers and ideas :)

Hi everyone! I have been overweight my entire life and have thought about having weight loss surgery many times throughout the years but my insurance didn't cover it. I then found out that United Healthcare started covering WLS again and I decided that it was time to make a major change in my life. Years of weight loss and gain can finally come to an end. I became sleeved on June 22, 2011 in Baton Rouge. I wasn't a good candidate for the Band because of GERD and I felt the bypass was just too much of a risk for me. So I decided on the Sleeve. A lot of research went in to my final decision and I feel I have made the right choice. I began the process back in March of this year and it felt like the never ending journey with all of the appointments, tests, procedures, sometimes 3 or 4 a day, and then finally came the approval. YES! My highest recorded weight was 345 pounds and my weight at the start of my journey was 280 pounds. I began the diet my nutritionist put me on in late April and I was 258 pounds on the day of surgery. I weighed today and I am now at 245 pounds. I have a long way to go but this is a wonderful start and I know I am on a new path to a healthy new me. I am still having pain on my left side though when I move and I am still swollen. I'm not sure if this is common but any feedback would be helpful. The low grade fever and constant restroom business have stopped thankfully and I'm looking forward to brighter days. I'm on a full liquid diet for another week and then a week of soft foods. I don't really know anyone close to me that has had this surgery so I searched the internet for answers to my questions and thankfully I found this site today. I would also like to say thank you to everyone who has posted on a variety of topics. I've spent a lot of time reading and the knowledge I gained today was priceless. I look forward to following all of you on your journeys as I embark on mine. I'm excited to see where my new "sleeved" life takes me.

Renee,

So glad you are here! Sounds like you are progressing along with your new "sleeve". Everyone here is very nice and quite helpful so ask away. My doctor and I are shooting for the first week of August. Keep us posted!

Welcome sweetie! I found this site when I was researching a question also. We hit the jackpot this place is a wonderful wealth of knowledge and support. Congrats to you. I haven't got a date yet but on july 11 I am going for my pre op apointment so hopefully I will be able to join you on your journey good luck to you sweetie.

:welcome:

Hey, welcome to the forum!! You are already doing amazingly well! I look forward to your updates and sharing this wonderful journey with you. Congrats on being sleeved!

:)

Hi Renee! I had my surgery June 23rd. It hasn't been easy but I'm glad that I had it done. You and I sound kind of alike. My first visit with my surgeon I weighed 280. I think that was May 10 or 11. I did have to do a preop diet. On the day of surgery, I weighed 254. I have no idea what I weigh right now. I have my 1 week post op appointment on Friday, so we will see. I would weigh on my scale but it is so off from what the doctor's and hospital's is, that I will just wait it out. For me, I have had no complications but it has been a rather rough week. I can't wait to compare notes. And congratulations to you!:D

Hi Renee, congrats on your new sleeve and your amazing weight loss before surgery too!

Discomfort in the left side is common. I’m 10 days out and the only lingering soreness I have is sort of a tugging sensation there when I stand up. Before surgery I remember reading somewhere the left-most incision is where the retractor goes in, so a lot of manipulation in that area. Makes sense that it would take longer to heal. Of course if it’s something really sharp or a new pain, I would call the surgeon.

Good luck & keep us posted on your continued progress.

Hello!

Congratulations to you as well. You know, I've read a lot where everyone has quick post op appointments. I don't return for a month. Odd? I'm looking forward to following your progress as well. May we both be healthy and happy!

Hi Renee! I had my surgery June 23rd. It hasn't been easy but I'm glad that I had it done. You and I sound kind of alike. My first visit with my surgeon I weighed 280. I think that was May 10 or 11. I did have to do a preop diet. On the day of surgery, I weighed 254. I have no idea what I weigh right now. I have my 1 week post op appointment on Friday, so we will see. I would weigh on my scale but it is so off from what the doctor's and hospital's is, that I will just wait it out. For me, I have had no complications but it has been a rather rough week. I can't wait to compare notes. And congratulations to you!:D

Thank you for sharing. I did call the nurse today because I'm still experiencing pain on the left side, when standing and walking, and still swollen. She said that this is one of the most common calls she receives and that it is normal. It is in the area of the largest incision so hearing from you as well sets me more at ease with it.

Hi Renee, congrats on your new sleeve and your amazing weight loss before surgery too!

Discomfort in the left side is common. I’m 10 days out and the only lingering soreness I have is sort of a tugging sensation there when I stand up. Before surgery I remember reading somewhere the left-most incision is where the retractor goes in, so a lot of manipulation in that area. Makes sense that it would take longer to heal. Of course if it’s something really sharp or a new pain, I would call the surgeon.

Good luck & keep us posted on your continued progress.

I was sleeved on 6/29, and today is my best day yet! The first 5 days were uncomfortable in a variety of ways, but the incisions are all healing well, and I'm fortunate not to be having any trouble keeping down Protein Shakes, Water, and other liquids. I've got one more week on full liquids before I can begin to transition to pureed foods - I'm really looking forward to that! Even better, the weather has been FABULOUS, so I'm really enjoying getting out for walks as often as I can to get the gas out of my system.

:D

Renee, I had my first post-op appointment today, but I spend a few weeks working with a different surgeon before I selected my eventual surgeon, and their office did the first post-op appointment quite a bit later. Really all I did today was get the staples taken out, have the incisions checked, and have a good discussion with my surgeon who answered a few questions. Most that of that could have happened over the phone, but it was really nice to touch base in person.