Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did you tell people about thinking/having vsg?

i think id tell strangers to help but never distant family members. ive made that decision

I've discussed my surgery openly with my mom and boyfriend for the past 2 years. I know my mom told my dad, and that's just fine. As my surgery date got closer I started to tell more people. Every single person has been wonderful about it. They're all really excited for me. A coworker even guessed that I was having WLS, everyone at work knows I'm having my gallbladder out and they know I've been dieting for the past 2 years, but 1 woman just seemed to know I was having WLS.

I feel like everyone knows, or will be able to tell soon. I think I'll be much more open post-op. I used to think I would just tell people I was eating less and exercising more, which is true, but then I started to think about all the people who could benefit from my experience. I only learned about VSG when an acquaintance was very open about her plans for surgery, now I kinda feel obligated to share this gift with others.

You will know what is right for you. At first the fact that you have had this surgery is all you can think about and it dominates your life and probably is on the tip of your tongue.. but I am at 3 months now and it has just become a new-awesome way of life for me now. I imagine its how skinny people eat naturally and I have just over-eaten for as long as I can remember...

I don't feel as though I have done anything to myself to be eating like I do now, that part is almost forgotten (hehe.. like childbirth).. I truely feel like I just eat like a healthy thin person now... so it really isn't like I am going around consciously hiding anything... maybe if I had a lapband I would feel as though I have something to declare??? (the fact that something is put into your body?).... But I didn't feel the need to inform everybody of getting my tonsils and wisdom teeth removed either and still don't!! lol

Best of luck everybody :)

very well put! ive had both my tonsils & gall bladder removed & im getting my wisdom teeth removed next week! haha.

i guess im so used to being over weight and people OPENLY commenting on it. the one comment that SERIOUSLY gets under my skin is, "omg!!! i didnt know you were pregnant!! congrats." its a double slap in the face for me since im not & i have pcos (irregular periods, very difficult to get preggo) due to weight gain. it makes me so depressed & 10 times more embarrassed than any other comment. then they used to do it in front of my bodybuilder boyfriend who wanted kids! i felt embarrassed and like a complete FAILURE!!!!! :(

You will know what is right for you. At first the fact that you have had this surgery is all you can think about and it dominates your life and probably is on the tip of your tongue.. but I am at 3 months now and it has just become a new-awesome way of life for me now. I imagine its how skinny people eat naturally and I have just over-eaten for as long as I can remember...

I don't feel as though I have done anything to myself to be eating like I do now, that part is almost forgotten (hehe.. like childbirth).. I truely feel like I just eat like a healthy thin person now... so it really isn't like I am going around consciously hiding anything... maybe if I had a lapband I would feel as though I have something to declare??? (the fact that something is put into your body?).... But I didn't feel the need to inform everybody of getting my tonsils and wisdom teeth removed either and still don't!! lol

Best of luck everybody :)

I am so sorry for the ignorant and likely, jealous people in your life making those hurtful comments. I pray everything goes EXTRAordinary for you!!

very well put! ive had both my tonsils & gall bladder removed & im getting my wisdom teeth removed next week! haha.

i guess im so used to being over weight and people OPENLY commenting on it. the one comment that SERIOUSLY gets under my skin is, "omg!!! i didnt know you were pregnant!! congrats." its a double slap in the face for me since im not & i have pcos (irregular periods, very difficult to get preggo) due to weight gain. it makes me so depressed & 10 times more embarrassed than any other comment. then they used to do it in front of my bodybuilder boyfriend who wanted kids! i felt embarrassed and like a complete FAILURE!!!!! :(

thank you very much! i meet with a nurse practioner, nutritionist & go to a seminar all on july 5th. im very anxious & excited. i know this is the surgery for me & with Gods help, ill get approved thru my insurance. i know for a fact i qualify for it. its more of a matter if they cover vsg. im praying! i was completely agaist weight loss surgery until about 2-3 weeks ago when i went to babysit for my employer (im a nanny & cake designer) & i saw her. i knew she had been dieting (which turned out to be the pre-op diet) and she had went from a size 22 to a 14 in 6 weeks. after that, i was maybe 10-15% on board with the sleeve. after doing HOURS and spending days researching, i became 95% on board. now, im 1billion% on board & cant wait for my lucky day!

I am so sorry for the ignorant and likely, jealous people in your life making those hurtful comments. I pray everything goes EXTRAordinary for you!!

My 2 cents: I don't care who knows I about my surgery. (Maybe it's an age thing or perhaps it's because I am comfortable with who I am). People I know that are considered opinionated or judgemental will continue to voice their opinions whether it's about my surgery, weight or any other topic they chose to discuss. I cannot please everyone - but I can please myself. And, this is the right decision for me. Losing weight is not easy - no matter it how you do it. I will have to recover from surgery, eat healthy, exercise, and balance changing relationships. VSG is just a tool that is going to help me. And, I choose to use that tool:)

nicely put. im not sure of your age but i know at my age (22), people tend to be a lot more cruel. i think the part that made me decide to keep it a secret from most ppl is the fact that i dont so much care for ppl saying, "wow, she lost a lot of weight. the WLS really helped her." but i can see people snickering and making fun that i had to go as far as WLS to lose weight & keeep it off. its unfortunate that people in my family are so cruel but i guess its something i cant change.

My 2 cents: I don't care who knows I about my surgery. (Maybe it's an age thing or perhaps it's because I am comfortable with who I am). People I know that are considered opinionated or judgemental will continue to voice their opinions whether it's about my surgery, weight or any other topic they chose to discuss. I cannot please everyone - but I can please myself. And, this is the right decision for me. Losing weight is not easy - no matter it how you do it. I will have to recover from surgery, eat healthy, exercise, and balance changing relationships. VSG is just a tool that is going to help me. And, I choose to use that tool:)

I mentioned it to 2 of my co-workers in my department a few months back and they were totally against it. One told me how her friend suffers from lap-band, etc.

I have only told my OB/GYN, PCP, two workout buddies, pastor, best friend and my husband.

I worked really hard last year on a strict eating and workout regimen and lost 60 lbs. I have managed to keep 30lbs off. L Never got below 200 though sadly enough. People thought I was smaller which was a plus. So, as far as anyone else is concerned, they will think I am back at it.

I only told my immediate family and a couple of friends. I'm not comfortable yet with discussing it at work, etc. I don't want to hear any nonsense. I've got enough going on just getting used to my new way of life. The good thing is that everyone knows I have been dieting and lost 22 pounds. They just don't know it was what I had to do prior to VSG surgery. I'm a very private person and I consider this my personal business that they don't need to know. Someday I might change my mind but for now I just didn't want to deal with it.

My mom and my husband keep saying I can't believe insurance will pay for this, it's elective. Very frustrating - I try and educate them but oh well. I am doing it for me, I want to be healthy and this is the tool to keep me that way.

I met this guy (Bubba) & we were talking & he mentioned he was over 500 pounds 13 months ago. Now this guy is about 6' 3" & slim. I asked how & he told me he was Sleeved last year.

I had just started to read about it that week. To meet someone whom had this done meant alot to me. While he was educating me about the Sleeve I got choked up because there was hope for me. This person does not know how much his story touched me.

Later on my friend who is thinking about getting the Band next year, I introduced them. Now my friend did not know about the Sleeve. After talking to Bubba, he is now researching the Sleeve.

You may get a negative reply, but there may be one person in the back of the room that may see you as a bright light of hope. This is the person who may silently ask you about you Sleeve.

I will not say anything until I have it done. Then I can encourage others if I am successful.