Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

afraid im not loosing like I should- any food suggestions

I am a few days shy of 3 weeks post op. I have lost 20 pounds but Im physically feeling like he loss has already slowed. I am afraid to weigh in because I dont think I will meet my goal of 30lbs for 30 days. Any suggestions on what I should eat? I know I am not getting enough Protein and Water in.I do drink an Atkins shake each day. I have advanced from puree. For those of you that have lost alot during the first three months can you share some food and excersize ideas?

Really? You are already afraid you are not losing enough weight? 20 lbs in a lot. I hope you are not setting yourself for failure. Remember that we all lose at a different rate. Some of us lose lots of weight right off the bat, others lose very slowly. One member on here, Coops, is slow but steady. She is an inspiration because she follows the sleeve diet guidelines and keeps going, happy in each pound she sheds.

Already your sleeve has produced amazing results. Give your body a chance to heal. It is enduring a partial organ loss, dramatically different calories and a drop in energy level. Body is recoverying. Stick to your VSG diet provided by your surgeon, try to keep carbs to no more than 30-40 a day. Hydrate well.

The weight is already falling off. Glass can be half empty or half full. Your choice.

I think it is a mistake to set goals based on things you have seen others do , or things you hope for. You will find out what your particular body will do with this brand new tummy of yours.

Meanwhile, 20 pounds in three weeks is amazing! Around this time in the process you may have your first slowdown as your body processes what has happened and gets into the losing chemistry rhythm . It is important to get the Protein in or your body will burn muscle instead of your fat cells. You may fall into the misconception that you should use this opportunity to just starve yourself without working to get your Protein, your Water, etc. I think that would be a mistake.

My research and the stories here have told me the things you can do to maximize your results

60-80 grams protein- EVERY day. In the absence of carbs, with lots of protein, the body turns to fat cells to burn- that is what we want! Hence the protein.

64 ounce plus Water it is important to flush out the waste from all that burning

< or = 30-40 grams carbs per day This makes your body turn to the fat cells Not everyone counts carbs but many people have great results in doing so.

at least 30 minutes exercise per day

Vitamins supplements

So that is my advice to you- follow the rules, you will lose to your maximum. Don't compare yourself to anyone else- you are YOU!

Good luck on this wonderful journey!

thanks for your responses. I am really frustrated beause I have gained 2 pounds back. I am trying to meet the guidelines for Protein and Water but I physically become sick when trying to get these things in. I really cant eat more than a few bites and I push to get 32 oz of water in a day. :angry:

Well, it sounds then like your body is telling you pretty clearly what IT is ready to do and handle right now.

Stick with the goals. You may fall short of them until you are further out from surgery. Focus on hydration first, Protein second. And get rid of the "30 lbs in 30 days" stuff. 20 lbs in one month is awesome. Last year at this time I am betting if someone told you that you could drop 20 lbs in one month, you would have been ecstatic, not disappointed. This is a long haul marathon, not a sprint. Relax. You are doing well. Let yourself be happy with where you are TODAY. :hug:

Please read, and take to heart, the response I just posted to your 2lb gain in the other forum. Please. You're freaking out over your body doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

30 lbs in 30 days in not a healthy goal. That's a pound a day. You do realize that even IF you can manage an average 30 day loss of 30 pounds, you CANNOT main it, right?

I will be 3weeks out on Wednesday and I have only lost 19 lbs. I was feeling the same way until I realized wait a mintute it took me 6 mos to lose 25 lbs last year what am I thinking??? Yes I have slowed the past couple of days I haven't seen the scale move and yes it is disappointing! But just realize its going to come off it has no choose in the matter! Good luck to you and I am right there with you!

Hmmm... 20 Lbs in 3 weeks sounds pretty good to me... am I missing something?