Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in the lower left abdomen

I had my surgery 6/22 and overall it went fine. I have had a fair amount of issues with gas pain, particularly up in my left shoulder area. Sometimes like someone is stabbing me with a knife- but it will come and go. I am walking a fair amount, but what has started bothering me about Sat morning is a pain in my left lower abdomen area. Occasionally, I will have a coughing episode and I have to hold that area in my lower left abdomen. I'm not sure holding it decreases the pain, but it is sharp and painful. Once I'm resting, its just kind of a dull pain. The pain med they sent me home with doesn't really do much for it and so I have stopped taking it so I can drive.

I don't have a temperature, and everything else seems to be going well for only being 4 days out from surgery. I'm actually going to go to the store and get some sugar free popsicles today.

Anyone know what lower left abdominal pain might be?

I had lower left abdomin pain, my nurse thought it was gas but gas-x and a heating pad didnt work. When I used the pain meds I was given it did get better but didn't go away fully. I read on here about someone with a similar pain and her doc said it was muscular. Very painful in the begining too. If it was gas the pain meds wouldnt have made it feel better. After about a week to two weeks it was gone. Hope this helps :)

I had my surgery 6/22 and overall it went fine. I have had a fair amount of issues with gas pain, particularly up in my left shoulder area. Sometimes like someone is stabbing me with a knife- but it will come and go. I am walking a fair amount, but what has started bothering me about Sat morning is a pain in my left lower abdomen area. Occasionally, I will have a coughing episode and I have to hold that area in my lower left abdomen. I'm not sure holding it decreases the pain, but it is sharp and painful. Once I'm resting, its just kind of a dull pain. The pain med they sent me home with doesn't really do much for it and so I have stopped taking it so I can drive.

I don't have a temperature, and everything else seems to be going well for only being 4 days out from surgery. I'm actually going to go to the store and get some sugar free popsicles today.

Anyone know what lower left abdominal pain might be?

Can you give your surgeon a call tomorrow? It's not that I think it's anything serious but he might be able to tell you quickly and end your concern.

Can you give your surgeon a call tomorrow? It's not that I think it's anything serious but he might be able to tell you quickly and end your concern.

Yeah, I will be giving his office a call Monday. He will be in surgery, but I can get a message to him. It's weird, it's kind of extending around the side to my back.

I had lower left abdomin pain, my nurse thought it was gas but gas-x and a heating pad didnt work. When I used the pain meds I was given it did get better but didn't go away fully. I read on here about someone with a similar pain and her doc said it was muscular. Very painful in the begining too. If it was gas the pain meds wouldnt have made it feel better. After about a week to two weeks it was gone. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that. Yeah, pain meds help a little, but don't really make it go away. I went to go to the store and lifting my left leg was tough. Not anything to do with my leg, but it put pressure up on that abdomen area that is sore/ achey. We'll see what the surgeon says tomorrow.

I had/have the EXACT same pain. It is really disconcerting and at times excruciating. Does yours get worse with activity/standing up? Mine does - radiates around into my back.

I talked to my surgeon and his PA about this. They said it is due to a stitch put in to help prevent a hernia and when the stitch dissolves the pain will resolve - takes about three weeks. I am a week and a half out from surgery and it is getting a little bit better every day.

I had/have the EXACT same pain. It is really disconcerting and at times excruciating. Does yours get worse with activity/standing up? Mine does - radiates around into my back.

I talked to my surgeon and his PA about this. They said it is due to a stitch put in to help prevent a hernia and when the stitch dissolves the pain will resolve - takes about three weeks. I am a week and a half out from surgery and it is getting a little bit better every day.

Mind does radiate around into my back as well. As for it getting worse with activity/ standing up? I need to pay more attention on the patterns, bu I would probably say yes. It can just be awful and if I have a coughing spell, oh my gosh.... look out. Hoping to reach someone Monday. My surgeon is normally in surgery all day Monday as well as his OR nurse.

I had a pain in that region, still do a little. I am 9 days out from surgery. I attest mine to the removal of my port (I had lap band revision to Sleeve surgery).

My biggest incision is on the right and I had pain in my lower right quadrant. Nothing that couldn't be tolerated, but I know they didn't really do anything there so I was concerned. I asked at my face to face support group and they said it's muscle pain. The doc moves stuff around in there while you're out. Mine resolved around week 4. That said, it never hurts to call the Dr's office. That's what they are there for!

Lynda

I'm having the same issue...the pain can be awful at times...especially standing, bending over and walking!!! When it first hit me I thought I was gonna die! Made an appointment with doctor and prescription for muscle relaxers and told me it was a muscle and stitch related...I will be so glad when it releases itself!! I had gastric bypass and hernia removed on 4/19/17