Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does hunger diminish ?

Hi all,

Just had my sleeve done on Thursday so am only drinking broth, propel Water and eating sf Popsicles.

I'm hungry. Is that normal at this stage?

Maybe I'll be less hungry when I progress to yogurt and Soups?

I guess I just never expected to be hungry.

Thanks for any info!

I thought I was going to gnaw my arm off on day 6 post-op. It was by far the worst day. Since then it has been much better...I'd say little to no hunger at all. I'm not sure if what I was feeling was head hunger or not, but I'm thankful it resolved. I also think clear Fluid stage is the hardest and you'll feel better when you can progress. I'm on full liquids now and doing good.

Me too!!! I'm almost three weeks out next monday. The first week I WAS HUNGRY! lol I was really worried they didn't sleeve me!!! It did get better. Now I am on mushies and I get hungry but it subsides quite quickly when I eat or have my shake... even when I don't eat. I have to watch that. I was kind of glad to have some hunger because now I know I will still enjoy food and the act of eating. At times it feels like I'm just putting in nourishment but not really "eating". I feel like the astronauts might feel eating out of tubes LOL

Me too!!! I'm almost three weeks out next monday. The first week I WAS HUNGRY! lol I was really worried they didn't sleeve me!!! It did get better. Now I am on mushies and I get hungry but it subsides quite quickly when I eat or have my shake... even when I don't eat. I have to watch that. I was kind of glad to have some hunger because now I know I will still enjoy food and the act of eating. At times it feels like I'm just putting in nourishment but not really "eating". I feel like the astronauts might feel eating out of tubes LOL

mnbsleeve, thanks for your response too!

Today is three days since surgery and i'm still hungry but it's easier now that rather than worrying that the sleeve is not going to help me at all, i know that i'll get relief in a few more days when i can have some Protein shakes.

In the mean time, i guess on this clear liquid diet we really don't get any Protein and thus the hunger.

thanks so much,

cathy

I had my surgery on Wednesday. Last night was the first time I felt hunger. I woke up needing to go to the kitchen for some SF Jello and Protein Drink. My surgeons office wants his patients to use a Liquid Protein the first week. What I am using is called Profecta. It is horrible. Nasty taste and I have to choke it down. The reason for the Protein the first week is to minimize Hair loss. I am going to go to GNC today and get some Isopure drinks, 40 grams protein per bottle. I bought one and it tastes way better than the Profecta.

I don't feel well and my stomach has so much gurgling and I have the squirts. Any of you have the same?sad.gif

I had my surgery on Wednesday. Last night was the first time I felt hunger. I woke up needing to go to the kitchen for some SF Jello and Protein drink. My surgeons office wants his patients to use a Liquid Protein the first week. What I am using is called Profecta. It is horrible. Nasty taste and I have to choke it down. The reason for the Protein the first week is to minimize hair loss. I am going to go to GNC today and get some Isopure drinks, 40 grams protein per bottle. I bought one and it tastes way better than the Profecta.

I don't feel well and my stomach has so much gurgling and I have the squirts. Any of you have the same?sad.gif

Hey Reba,

Well you are just a day ahead of me but sounds like you didn't get hungry as quick as I did. My stomach is also rumbling and gurgling. Ugh!

So the Isopure drinks are what we can have that give protein? My bariatric coordinator mentioned those but I was thinking they were just like flavored or Vitamin Water. but gonna get some and try to drink the whole bottle each day so I'd get 40grams of protein.

Supposedly protein helps with hunger but I'm not sure how drinking protein can help since it's not like it will sit in the stomach for any length of time.

Is your abdomen still swollen Reba?

And no, the squirts is one problem I'm not having, thank God! :-)

cathy

Liquids just don't stay in our system for a long time, that is why you are hungry all of the time. They run right thur us.

However, I will be 7 weeks out tomorrow, on soft foods and still am hungry all of the time. My growling stomach has never left me. I am so bummed!! I wanted that more than anything and I still feel hungry 80%of the time!

I hope yours resolves when you are able to eat!

Kelly :)

Liquids just don't stay in our system for a long time, that is why you are hungry all of the time. They run right thur us.

However, I will be 7 weeks out tomorrow, on soft foods and still am hungry all of the time. My growling stomach has never left me. I am so bummed!! I wanted that more than anything and I still feel hungry 80%of the time!

I hope yours resolves when you are able to eat!

Kelly :)

Kelly, I hope I at least get some help with the hunger thing! I would imagine you'd just get used to so little food after a while and maybe won't be so hungry? You still get full early with little food, right?

Wow, have you lost that 26 lbs just since your surgery! If so, that's awesome! You must be managing the hunger pretty well.

cathy

Yes, I have lost 26lbs in 7 weeks. I do follow my plan and only eat 3 times a day with no snacking, even if I am starving, I don't stray!

I have dieted for years and know that when I follow my plan, I have good results. I just feel like I am dieting again and that is not what this is supposed to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dr. assures me that it will get better and I am doing an awesome job, so I will keep on keeping on I suppose!!

It is just so hard to stay focused when your stomach growles all the friggen time. That is all I think about!!! It is exhausting looking at the clock to see when I ate and when I can again. :( STOP THE INSANITY!!

Kelly

Kelly, I hope I at least get some help with the hunger thing! I would imagine you'd just get used to so little food after a while and maybe won't be so hungry? You still get full early with little food, right?

Wow, have you lost that 26 lbs just since your surgery! If so, that's awesome! You must be managing the hunger pretty well.

cathy

Yes, I have lost 26lbs in 7 weeks. I do follow my plan and only eat 3 times a day with no snacking, even if I am starving, I don't stray!

I have dieted for years and know that when I follow my plan, I have good results. I just feel like I am dieting again and that is not what this is supposed to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dr. assures me that it will get better and I am doing an awesome job, so I will keep on keeping on I suppose!!

It is just so hard to stay focused when your stomach growles all the friggen time. That is all I think about!!! It is exhausting looking at the clock to see when I ate and when I can again. :( STOP THE INSANITY!!

Kelly

Kelly,

I've never been good at dieting and that's why I needed surgery so I pray I get some help with hunger!

Do you think adding two Snacks per day would help you? Healthy, low calories Snacks, of course?

Just a thought.

But what you are doing is obviously working and that's awesome!

cathy

I'm four months out and have been hungry since one week post-op. I follow my plan of three meals + three Snacks per day. I can't eat much at one go, but I do get hungry again pretty soon after. Kinda sucks, really. :D Oh well, it's manageable and I've still lost 50 lb in four months, so here's to staying hungry!!

My doctor had me on an acid pill (prilosec otc) and a anti spasm pill for a couple of weeks after surgery. He said I could stop both whenever I felt like it. I stopped the acid pill and had more "hunger rumbling" then I researched it and many doctors leave their patients on an acid pill for up to 3 months so I started the pill back and it helps with the hunger "wierd knot in the middle of my back when I am hungry feeling".

I noticed the more Protein drinks the more "squirts". Getting on real food helped stop that.

Alot of tips I am reading on this forum have really helped. I read about others and the acid pill, the Protein squirts, and it is true what someone said about the "sugar alcohol" gives me gas.

Learning as I go! :)

Having a great day today (both my kids are home including my "college" one ) and hubby is smoking some chicken so I can try chicken salad! :) Life is GOOD!