Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month Post-op - Advice Appreciated

Today is one month since my surgery. I'm so tired and frustrated and teary right now. I haven't lost weight in over a week. I went to my therapist Monday and explained that I feel so emotional a lot of the time now, and she said that's part of the process - learning not to avoid my feelings and actually confront them. She also told me to throw away my scale so that I won't obsessively weigh, and that I need to think long-term, not short-term. Right now I'm extraordinarily frustrated because I keep thinking - how am I NOT losing weight? Yet I know from what I've been told that this is how it goes. But that doesn't make me feel better. I've made this huge, drastic change - but I could have lost 20 pounds in one month on South Beach! I guess the key is that hopefully it won't come back on. I don't know . . . I'm not questioning my decision exactly, but I am so SAD alot of the time and I feel like it's not warranted. Maybe I'm just hormonal!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I should clarify - I lost 10 pounds pre-surgery. I've lost 20 since surgery.

Today is one month since my surgery. I'm so tired and frustrated and teary right now. I haven't lost weight in over a week. I went to my therapist Monday and explained that I feel so emotional a lot of the time now, and she said that's part of the process - learning not to avoid my feelings and actually confront them. She also told me to throw away my scale so that I won't obsessively weigh, and that I need to think long-term, not short-term. Right now I'm extraordinarily frustrated because I keep thinking - how am I NOT losing weight? Yet I know from what I've been told that this is how it goes. But that doesn't make me feel better. I've made this huge, drastic change - but I could have lost 20 pounds in one month on South Beach! I guess the key is that hopefully it won't come back on. I don't know . . . I'm not questioning my decision exactly, but I am so SAD alot of the time and I feel like it's not warranted. Maybe I'm just hormonal!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Awww.. I wish I had some powerful words of wisdom to share with you about weight loss, about our bodies trying to catch up with the surgery, the hormones, our chemistry out of wack and metobolism changes.

There are so many key areas that all play a part in our bodies. Hang in there, I had days that I was very hormonal, mine was more aggressive - I was very snippy and quick to bite someones head off! Then 2 weeks later I went to through the I could burst out crying reading a hallmark card stage. Thank God I had a 3 month check up with the doc and I mentioned my mood swings and he did say the surgery throws our hormones out of balance...it will calm down in time.

It did, my doc was right.

I hope for you, things calm down in time as well... hang in there...:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are doing fantastic to me!! 30 lbs total, wow! I have the emotional stuff too. And even though I've read about stalls on here all the time, it doesn't make it easier when I go thru one. We all feel the same way. I am so thankful for the sleeve though, cuz before when I would hit a stall, I would just give up and start earing too much of all the bad stuff again. I can't do that as easily now, so it keeps me from giving up or sabotaging myself. I've never been a patient person myself, but I have to keep reminding myself I have a lot of weight to lose and it's gonna take time. I have made myself stop weighing so much, the scales can really mess with my head. We'll get there though, we just have to follow the rules and stop listening to our negative self doubt.

We had the same surgery date. :) I'm right there with you. I've lost 28 lbs. since surgery but most of that was in the first week. I haven't lost anything since June 11. I'm frustrated but so thankful for this forum so I know this is actually quite normal & I'm not the only one. Hopefully our stalls will be over soon & we can get back to losing!

(((Tiffanie))) Been there! In fact, I think most people on this board have been there. It's SOOOO hard to wait and see, but it really does get better with time. As your body adjusts to its new reality, you will lose weight, and it won't come back--if you eat healthfully and get some exercise, your sleeve is a tool that will really help with your weight loss. Give yourself and your body time. And don't fret about the freak-outs--like I say, we've all had them (or most of us!), and they do get better with time.

Hang in there! Months from now, you won't even remember this part.

Meg

There is something that we say in the twelve step program I belong to and that is "Trust the process". Just follow the directions of your Dr. and you will be okay. You know in your own heart if you are doing your best. It does sounds like good advice to get rid of that scale this about a lifestyle change not just numbers. Much of what need to happen with that lifestyle change needs to happen between our ears it's not just about what we put in our mouth.

I too think that your are doing great!! I am 4 months and 1 week post-op and I find that when the scale stalls it is fustraing also. But usually what seems to be happening with me is I notice that I am losing inches, cuz I can fit in smaller size clothing even though the number on the scale isn't moving. And sometimes I will stall and be the same for a week and then the next week when I do my weight-in I suddenly drop like 4 lbs. So hang in there kiddo!! We certaintly didn't get fat in a week and we sure aren't gonna get skinny in a week either I guess. LOLS. But it seems to me that your are doing just fine. It will be worth all the agony in the long run because this time the weightloss is for KEEPS!! Thanks to our amazing new TOOL!!!!

Hi all,

I had a May 23rd surgery date too. I know what you are going through. My scale is wacked out. I lost ten pounds the first week and then nothing the second week, a pound the third week and then a pound this fourth week. So 12-13 pounds in a month is really disappointing. I keep telling myself - its okay because I lost 58 pounds before surgery (10 pounds during pre-op, after I gained some back during my food funeral). I know that comparing myself to others is not good because some people didn't lose that much prior to the surgery so they are in a different place with their weight loss.

But it is very frustrating. I am not eating too much, not too many carbs and am getting my Protein in. I think I may have eaten too many carbs the first two weeks because the only thing I could eat was cottage cheese and other dairy products that rose my carb levels. Now, I'm all about the Protein and keeping bad fat and carbs low. The only thing that I think may be a problem is that I don't always drink enough so I will work on this now.

My husband gets mad at me when I get upset with the scale and tells me that he is going to hide it. I am not obsessing with it so I only "count" the time I weigh in on Monday morning. He thinks I'm being impatient and unreasonable that I am upset on what I've lost. I guess I just expected it to come off much quicker. This is the ultimate weight loss period and I'm afraid I won't be a success. I really want to get smaller. Everyone I know knows about this surgery so it is hard to say nope, no weight loss when people ask about it. I am an open person but now when I'm not losing it is hard to say that to people who are asking. Any thoughts of this being an easy process are out the window. I thought it would be easy to lose weight the first couple of months, at minimum and expected a battle after I got below 200 pounds.

My scale fluctuates like crazy, even when I do weigh myself at the same time of day. I think maybe a new scale? I could see a couple of ounces but like 3 pounds between today and yesterday? It is not period weight, because I just had that less than a week ago. I don't know, I may go back to not weighing myself because it doesn't seem to help. The surgery is done, I plan on eating healthy and exercising regardless of the scale so I have to do my best.

Also, weird question below - sorry if it grosses you out!

Does anyone know how often we should have a bowel movement? I never (NEVER) had problems with Constipation or being backed up so I don't know how often we should be having a bowel movement at this stage. I think I may be backed up but I don't want to take laxatives or stool softeners unless I truly need to. I don't know how to tell if you are (I know weird). I used to go at least once a day but I now go at least a day or two inbetween any bowel movements. I will ask my doctor about it when I see them the middle of July but wanted to see what you all thought.

I identify completely- I too question the bowel movement frequency. I was very regular, now I feel sluggish and may have a BM 2 a week. I know that this is wrong. I am thinking of going on a fast but then I wont get the Protein in................

Hi all,

I had a May 23rd surgery date too. I know what you are going through. My scale is wacked out. I lost ten pounds the first week and then nothing the second week, a pound the third week and then a pound this fourth week. So 12-13 pounds in a month is really disappointing. I keep telling myself - its okay because I lost 58 pounds before surgery (10 pounds during pre-op, after I gained some back during my food funeral). I know that comparing myself to others is not good because some people didn't lose that much prior to the surgery so they are in a different place with their weight loss.

But it is very frustrating. I am not eating too much, not too many carbs and am getting my Protein in. I think I may have eaten too many carbs the first two weeks because the only thing I could eat was cottage cheese and other dairy products that rose my carb levels. Now, I'm all about the protein and keeping bad fat and carbs low. The only thing that I think may be a problem is that I don't always drink enough so I will work on this now.

My husband gets mad at me when I get upset with the scale and tells me that he is going to hide it. I am not obsessing with it so I only "count" the time I weigh in on Monday morning. He thinks I'm being impatient and unreasonable that I am upset on what I've lost. I guess I just expected it to come off much quicker. This is the ultimate weight loss period and I'm afraid I won't be a success. I really want to get smaller. Everyone I know knows about this surgery so it is hard to say nope, no weight loss when people ask about it. I am an open person but now when I'm not losing it is hard to say that to people who are asking. Any thoughts of this being an easy process are out the window. I thought it would be easy to lose weight the first couple of months, at minimum and expected a battle after I got below 200 pounds.

My scale fluctuates like crazy, even when I do weigh myself at the same time of day. I think maybe a new scale? I could see a couple of ounces but like 3 pounds between today and yesterday? It is not period weight, because I just had that less than a week ago. I don't know, I may go back to not weighing myself because it doesn't seem to help. The surgery is done, I plan on eating healthy and exercising regardless of the scale so I have to do my best.

Also, weird question below - sorry if it grosses you out!

Does anyone know how often we should have a bowel movement? I never (NEVER) had problems with Constipation or being backed up so I don't know how often we should be having a bowel movement at this stage. I think I may be backed up but I don't want to take laxatives or stool softeners unless I truly need to. I don't know how to tell if you are (I know weird). I used to go at least once a day but I now go at least a day or two inbetween any bowel movements. I will ask my doctor about it when I see them the middle of July but wanted to see what you all thought.

Since our diets now are much more limited in quantity (we're not getting in near the amount of Fiber we used to), it's important to try to get some Fiber in through whatever means you can. There are a bunch of posts on this forum regarding people's strategies, but a lot of us use a fiber supplement (MiraLax, Benefiber, FiberCon, whatever). I have had a big ol' problem with this in just the last month, but I think I have found a strategy now with fiber supplements and Colace, plus I'm making a real effort to eat more high-fiber foods when I can--like I say, it's not easy to do with such a limited capacity in our sleeves, but some of these products can be stirred into liquids or added to Protein shakes. Plus you can go more natural with the old standbys of prunes or flax seeds (neither is low-carb, but they do work!!), which are relatively inexpensive and easy to consume.

Check this forum for more--you might be surprised how common an issue Constipation is amongst sleevers, especially those of us who are in the early months and aren't eating a lot of bulky veggies yet.

Excellent thread, and I have been watching the scales like a hawk too, but not much movement! I'm told we all go through the same thing to start with, as the body thinks it's being starved, and so holds onto its reserves. I have one Weetabix for Breakfast each day, sprinkled with ground flax and sunflower seeds. Since having that, I have been "going" every day. I am 4 weeks post surgery on Wednesday, I lost 11lbs pre op, and only 10lbs since - but, I do keep telling myself that this weight will have to come off. I'm not eating enough to sustain this bodyweight - so I will be patient and know deep down that this is better being a slow process, as the skin will have time to shrink back, and hopefully be less saggy!

Hold in there peeps - we will be skinny minnies one day! :D