Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-diabetic and needs some support on my decision~

I went to my first seminar yesterday. YAY! I have an appoinment with the dr. July 1st! I am nervous and excited! I was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Other than my weight I am a healthy person. ALLL my problems are weight related. I am 27 and have a BMI of 45.2, I am very disapointed in myself. I don't want the surgery to just look good but I want to be able to run with my kids and be a good wife. I want to know that I am heading in the right direction. I understand there is a process and I am willing to do it all to get started on my weight loss journey! I prayed all the way home (I live 3 hrs from the nearest Bariatric Center) so I would feel comforted that I am making the right decision. I don't want to have Diabetes and I am very close as far as the blood work shows to having full blown diabetes. I found this out Friday and the Monday (yesterday) after I am at the seminar so I am somewhat overwhelmed! I have known for a long time I needed to do something but I just need the support so I am so glad I found this website!! Also, I know I am new to all this but just out of curiousity was wondering how long the process takes from going to your first appointment to the surgery day. I understand it differs for each patient. I just have no idea at all and would like some kind of time frame. :)

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on starting your new weight loss journey!

I attended the info seminar on April 6. It wasn't until May 1 that I actually got an appointment scheduled with the surgeon - and then only because I called and asked about it. At the seminar they told us they would check the insurance coverage and call us - usually within 2 weeks. I waited a little longer since I'm out of state, but when I didn't hear, I got anxious and called. Apparently they had some issues with about 5 of us and had just gotten the response back from the insurance a day or two before.

I met with the surgeon the first time on May 18. I will be having surgery on July 12. I am self-pay as insurance won't cover anything weight related.

However, if your insurance will cover it, it could be 6 months as you jump through their hoops. What I would do is call your insurance company to find out 1) do they cover it and 2) if they do, what are their requirements. They will let you know. Of course then it also depends on your surgeon's schedule.... :)

Wow that is quicker than I thought! My insurance isn't going to cover mine either. Where do you live? Thanks for your response!

I've had diabetes for over 7 years now. It has done nothing but get worse over time. I kept having to take more medication and recently started insulin. It runs in my family. I've had relatives with the worst of it...amputations, loss of eyesight. I don't want to be a major downer or scare you...but this is reality with diabetes. I was in denial for such a long time, but finally see wls as the best possible solution. Time will tell, as I am only 20 days post op. I am feeling good, my sugar is down and am very optimistic for my future now. Doing this for health reasons is the best reason. I wish you the best in your journey!

I've had diabetes for over 7 years now. It has done nothing but get worse over time. I kept having to take more medication and recently started insulin. It runs in my family. I've had relatives with the worst of it...amputations, loss of eyesight. I don't want to be a major downer or scare you...but this is reality with diabetes. I was in denial for such a long time, but finally see wls as the best possible solution. Time will tell, as I am only 20 days post op. I am feeling good, my sugar is down and am very optimistic for my future now. Doing this for health reasons is the best reason. I wish you the best in your journey!

Adri, Your very right, that is the reality of the situation, I am very close to being diabetic. It runs in my family too on both sides and it isn't something to play around with. I am very excited to be able to get it taken care before I get it and I have to take Insulin. A1C tests said I was 6.1%, very scary stuff right there. I am happy for you! I hope it all works out for you and you no longer have to take any medication. Good luck to you!

Diabetes runs in my family and I was first diagnosed with it in December 2003. It has gotten worse over the years - my latest A1C was 8.7. That's part of the reason I am having this surgery. I can't seem to get it under control and do not want to go on insulin.

My surgery will be in Ohio, but at the moment I live in Michigan despite working most of the time in Ohio.

I went to my first seminar yesterday. YAY! I have an appoinment with the dr. July 1st! I am nervous and excited! I was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Other than my weight I am a healthy person. ALLL my problems are weight related. I am 27 and have a BMI of 45.2, I am very disapointed in myself. I don't want the surgery to just look good but I want to be able to run with my kids and be a good wife. I want to know that I am heading in the right direction. I understand there is a process and I am willing to do it all to get started on my weight loss journey! I prayed all the way home (I live 3 hrs from the nearest Bariatric Center) so I would feel comforted that I am making the right decision. I don't want to have Diabetes and I am very close as far as the blood work shows to having full blown diabetes. I found this out Friday and the Monday (yesterday) after I am at the seminar so I am somewhat overwhelmed! I have known for a long time I needed to do something but I just need the support so I am so glad I found this website!! Also, I know I am new to all this but just out of curiousity was wondering how long the process takes from going to your first appointment to the surgery day. I understand it differs for each patient. I just have no idea at all and would like some kind of time frame. :)

I understand where you are coming from. Go to my blog ( listed in signature below), I explain how I was diagnosed with diabetes and when. My A1C rest was 10.2, that scared me to death. My blood sugar numbers are normal now and my surgery was 5-25-2011. My next A1C test is in August, I really hope that number improves greatly. I think Doctors are too eager to prescibe medication when I believe most can be controlled with diet and exercise. The surgery, weight loss, diet and exercise has really got my numbers under control and I feel so much better. I was self-pay and had my surgery with Dr. Almanza in Mexico, it was a great experience. Cost was a factor but not the deciding factor for my surgery in Mexico, I did not want to wait 6 months and jump through the hoops, I would have been put on diabetic medication if my surgery was not so soon ( 22 days) after my diagnoses of diabetes. I felt with the help from my sleeve, diet and exercise, I could beat this without medication. My Dr. said we could wait and see and we are both very happy with the results so far. You are on the right track, since your insurance will not pay for your procedure, I would have the surgery sooner than later. I have lost about 43lbs total ( including pre-op diet) and that has made a huge difference. I am sure staying away from carbs and sugar has something to do with that. The sleeve has restricted my food intake and helped the weight loss but the lack of carbs and sugar is what has got my blood numbers in order. Good luck on your decision.

Nancy - Your surgery is coming soon. Congratulations, I hope you it all works out for you. I weigh 281 so we are very close in weight. Just curious, do you have a lot of physical activity? Seems like here lately even if I take out the trash everything aches.

Kemo46 - I know I could be way worse off, I just don't want to be there yet. Congrats on your weight loss, that is a lot of weight. I am glad you feel better even, I am not diabetic but where I am at I feel awful so I couldn't imagine being diabetic. I am somewhat torn about going here in Oklahoma or going to Mexico. I have heard lots of good things here about the two drs. in Mexico. The price is very hard to resist. My husband doesn't like the idea of going to Mexico though. I actually had signed up and one of the secretaries called me to set up an app. in Mexico but my husband said no and he is paying for it. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they don't pay for it. SO it would be out of pocket. I am a little concerned about the costs but I think it will be way worth it in the end. The dr I have an app with says he will work with payments, he sorta confused me with the pricing so I have to get that figured out.

Good luck to you!

No, I am extremely sedentary. When I started this process, I couldn't stand for 5 minutes without breaking out into a sweat. I couldn't walk 5 minutes without being winded (and that was on a level surface walking very slowly!).

I've started to walk a little bit more and can get up to about 10 minutes before becoming winded and about 10 minutes of standing without breaking out in a sweat. I know it will improve after surgery as the weight comes off, it will be easier for me to exercise.

I had back surgery 4 years ago - and since then, my health has really gone downhill. It was only about 3 months ago that I was able to finally stand up straight!

This surgery will literally give me my life back. I can't help but be excited about that. :D

Nancy, that sounds like no fun at all. My back aches all the time but i can stand up sorta straight (lol), I feel like I can't though because it all hurts but I am sure not as bad as you. I am glad you found your answer to your health issues and I hope it all works out for the best! I am sure it will help a lot and you definately should be excited!! Good luck to you!