Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waking up earlier... and earlier... and earlier...

I wasn't sure if this was a testosterone thing (and I should post it in the Man Room) or a WLS thing -- so I'm posting it here.

I'm finding myself waking up earlier and earlier; today I woke up -- without an alarm clock! -- at 4:50 am! I went to bed at 11:30, and I'm not tired. I'm finding that I just don't feel like I need more than about 6 hours of sleep in a night, and that's a big change from pre-weight loss, when even with 8 hours, I felt sluggish and tired.

It might also be a "getting older" thing, but c'mon -- I'm only 40. I'm not quite my parents' 80+ years, and I'm not ready to hustle over to the Old Country Buffet, nor am I going to bed at 7pm!

Anyone else going through this? It's not entirely horrible, just weird. I mentioned the Man Room thing because right now my testosterone is surging too (as evidenced by a number of things I won't go into).

Same experience here before pregnancy. I am the world's worst morning person. Seriously, I'd rather slice a person's throat than get out of bed in a good mood. I used to sleep 10+ hours and barely function. For the last year or so, everything has changed. I wake up with my husband around 6am, make coffee, take care of our 2 large dogs, switch over laundry, pack his lunch, and then I lounge for a couple of hours. I still enjoy my quiet time in the mornings, and started getting up with him because the kiddo was still asleep and I could have some alone time without the mister or kiddo asking for something.

I typically crash out around 11-Midnight, and I'm up and moving by 6pm. I never stop once I'm up and running. I'm typically out of the house no later than 9am, and pack my day full of activities to keep myself busy.

My husband says that I lie still, do not snore, and don't have that weird breathing pattern I had while I slept at 270lbs.

I think you might be on to something -- it might just be that I'm actually getting RESTFUL sleep for the fist time in years, and I'm not used to it! According to the bed partner: "you sleep like the dead, on your back -- you do not snore or gasp or anything."

So maybe I'm just not used to having enough ENERGY to get by with only six hours of sleep. Ah well, I guess it's a good thing, right -- I'm rested, and I have all these hours in the morning to get my day started (I'm finding that doing my workout calisthenics routine in the morning works well; I've still got lots of energy, and it gives me something to do besides shove food in my mouth!)

I've only lost 33lbs but what a difference!! I just mentioned to my husband yesterday this same topic! Before I had surgery, I hit that snooze button at least 3 or 4 times but now, I wake up before the alarm!! And my alarm goes off at 4:13am! I have a lot more energy and feel great in the morning!

I think Tiff is right on - you are now getting good quality sleep and your body doesn't need as much as it did when you were lugging around all of that exta weight. I have found that I don't need near the sleep that I did before. I used to come home from work, flop down in a chair and doze off within about 30 min. Then I would go to bed and toss and turn all night, getting up several times to go to the bathroom and when my alarm would go off in the morning I felt like CRAP!

Now....I usually wake up just before my alarm, I have energy all day at work and sometimes leave work and go do things in the evening and don't even get home until after 11pm. I sleep so good and rarely get up to go to the bathroom at night. Love it!! :P

Kathy

I wasn't sure if this was a testosterone thing (and I should post it in the Man Room) or a WLS thing -- so I'm posting it here.

I'm finding myself waking up earlier and earlier; today I woke up -- without an alarm clock! -- at 4:50 am! I went to bed at 11:30, and I'm not tired. I'm finding that I just don't feel like I need more than about 6 hours of sleep in a night, and that's a big change from pre-weight loss, when even with 8 hours, I felt sluggish and tired.

It might also be a "getting older" thing, but c'mon -- I'm only 40. I'm not quite my parents' 80+ years, and I'm not ready to hustle over to the Old Country Buffet, nor am I going to bed at 7pm!

Anyone else going through this? It's not entirely horrible, just weird. I mentioned the Man Room thing because right now my testosterone is surging too (as evidenced by a number of things I won't go into).

Hi there Ouroborous! First off let me tell you that yesterday I was thinking about and wondering how you were doing, hadn't seen you around the boards in while. . . and today let me tell you that you are not alone in the waking up early thing. . . my wake up times are 5:50 am EVERYDAY, weekends and all. . . and if i should need a nap in the afternoon on a sunday it's 10 - 15 minutes but a darn good one. . . i love it. . . I love getting up early on the weekends to feed the birds and Water the garden, get stuff done and then enjoy the rest of the day. . . it's great. . . could be cause we're not a sluggish anymore, I noticed that when i was heavier, i could sleep for ever. . . also, maybe we're not depressed anymore either. . . never know huh???? Anyhow glad to see you back on the boards. . . .